The Crow Remake Finds a Place to Perch

Some location news for Stephen Norrington's upcoming re-imagining of The Crow has come in, and things continue to be shaping up nicely. So where is this latest vengeful spirit going to be plying his violence-filled craft?

The fine folks over at Mania nailed down this latest update from director Norrington: "Part of the new story is set in Detroit, and we've been discussing the logistics of shooting on location."

So there you have it, boys and girls; The Crow is heading back to the Motor City to hopefully engage in a Devil's Night to end them all!

Stay tuned for more feathered hijinx hopefully sooner rather than later.

The Crow Remake Finds a Place to Perch

See the face of a familiar corpse in the Dread Central forums.

frank_dracman's picture

Remember when they were considering Bon Jovi for City of Angels? I laughed at the thought back then but really, could it have been any worse? At least we got to see Tom Jane and Iggy Pop as a psychos.

I too like Salvation and think Eric Mabius is an overlooked actor. Plus it had Fred Fuckn' Ward!

As for this remake/sequel, I'm surprised I'm not the only one who wanted to see a woman in the lead roll. A woman named Gloria loses her whole family to scummy gang members and exacts revenge on them in awesome ways. And I've got the perfect title, hold onto your balls, here it is.....

Crow: Mourning Glory!
BAM! Please make the check out to cash.

Submitted by frank_dracman on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 9:42am.

I remember they were also considering DMX for a role in Zombie's planned sequel. Wow that would have been something else.

I think Eric Mabius should have been a bigger actor, personally. He has that appeal. It's a shame.

I'd like for them to cast a woman. She could garner enough sympathy from the audience if played by the right actress.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 5:50pm.
FireRam's picture

Thank goodness that didn't happen. Remember, Derek Bliss, Vampires:Los Muertos? Laughable! Bon Jovi needs to stick to soundtracks, not being IN movies, like the kick ass tune we have from Young Guns II,Blaze of Glory. Your idea for a crow movie is cool. Our luck though they'd throw Mila Jovovich in as lead for our female crow. Ugh.

I'm interested in seeing whom some other readers think would make a great female crow. Throw up your ideas.....
Who do you think would be great as a female crow?

(PS: Do not fucking say Megan Fox)

Submitted by FireRam on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 9:58am.

God don't say that FireRam! Last thing I want is a flat as a board, raspy voiced, butch lesbian Milla being fetishized by another director who goes off the Crow tangent to build a completely new series around this horrid chick.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 5:51pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Axelle Carolyn

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 12:04pm.
Vanvance1's picture

I like to watch a hot chick in a tight outfit too. But I never really buy them as action stars and in something as dark as The Crow should be I'd rather have a guy in the role.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 12:28pm.

I could see a woman in this role. It could work very well.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 5:50pm.
frank_dracman's picture

Megan Fox is a vapid, hollow Hollywood darling that has no assets besides being pretty (to some). If you ask me who I'd like to be cast in any movie, I'll say an unknown, or at least someone who hasn't tried that type of role before. Mila and Fox seem to dominate these types of rolls, and anyone would be better than them.

Submitted by frank_dracman on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 11:16am.

Man, I hate Megan Fox. I honestly don't get the love for her. As I've said before there are a bunch of really hot women in Hollywood who are also infinitely more talented. Why the hell does she get all the attention? It's freaky.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 5:52pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

I think Jessica Biel is the youngest, seriously hot actress who can act sometimes that I like in Hollywood right now. Ellen Page is incredibly talented acting-wise but I definitely don't look at her in a any kind of sexual way. I feel like I'm watching her grow up before my eyes since she was so young in the first movies I saw her in. Not sure how old she is. I do find the woman from Avatar to be pretty smokin' hot and her next movie looks like a blast but the majority of actresses who I think are sexy and talented are in their 40's pretty much.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 6:00pm.

Dude, I'm pretty sure you can stop pretending you don't know who Zoe Saldana is. You're not going to be deemed a hypocrite. Everyone knows you're a hardcore Avatar geek, so it would make sense if you knew Zoe Saldana.

Either way, no on Jessica Biel, maybe on Zoe Saldana. And Ellen Page is about 24, I think. She's in Inception. Can't fucking wait.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 6:46pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Cross my heart and hope to die I don't know her name. Check out a trailer from her new movie if there is one somewhere. Looks cool in a Die Hard kind of way.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 7:28pm.

Inception has been a mystery but so far it seems like the thinking man's crime thriller. I heard there's even a shoot out in a rotating room. Wow.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 8:30pm.
LifeMi's picture

To throw my two cents into the Crow, I'd be fine with a new one as long as they use a character the complete opposite of what we've already seen. I actually kind of like City of Angels for what it is and was bored by Salvation; didn't see Wicked Prayer, but I'll give it a shot eventually.

Submitted by LifeMi on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 9:18pm.
FireRam's picture

That was three cents!

Submitted by FireRam on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 9:44pm.
Vanvance1's picture

The original crow was made by one of my favorite living directors (though I don't see how I can forgive 'Knowing') and one of the greatest horror writers around: David J. Schow (if you haven't read 'Black Leather Required' you are so missing out).

With that in mind, I look forward to this film. Norrington is a talent and if the studios or Sean Connery don't get in his way I think he'll produce a damn good Crow movie that captures the proper tone.

Hell, I'd even give him my blessing to take on the inevitable remake of RoboCop and I FREAKING LOVE RoboCop.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 6:33pm.
FireRam's picture

NO no no no no no no no no nono no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no NO no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no NO no no no no no no no no nono no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no NO no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no NO no no no no no no no no nono no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no NO no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no NO no no no no no no no no nono no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no NO no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

This does not need to happen! The original is one of me favorite movies of all time. I wore out 3 VHS tapes I watched it so much. I had posters. Movie trading cards. The soundtrack was almost all I listened to that entire summer (until STP came out with their new CD). Do another sequel, make it better than the last few (which won't be hard), don't even consider putting Megan Fox in it, and all is well.

Submitted by FireRam on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 6:00pm.

I once watched "The Crow" everyday for two months when it was on VHS.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 6:05pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

You put alot of effort into that post. Makes me want to watch The Shining.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 6:01pm.
jkincer's picture

Why does this movie have to be a remake? O'Barr has a fairly large inventory of Crow stories to choose from. There is no reason to redo the 'Eric Draven' story again. Move on and pick a different story arc. Personally I think a female lead would be a perfect way to seperate this movie from the Lee film, but what do I know, I'm just an avid movie fan.

Submitted by jkincer on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 5:48pm.

Norrington has said (according to Mania.com) that it's not Eric Draven again, it's "a new set of characters". So it sounds like it's The Crow 5, but called a remake/reboot because those are the trendy terms.

Submitted by Cody on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 6:26pm.

That would be cool. I'd love for them to play with the concept. Maybe have the crow bring back a serial killer, or a woman, or a black man, or set it in medieval times, etc.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 6:28pm.
FireRam's picture

Amen.(to jkincer Terminal had to go and post above me so it LOOKS like I'm agreeing with him here but I'm not)You already got an amen from me Term one a day is it.

Submitted by FireRam on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 6:52pm.

Because like Dimension before them, they want to pick off of Brandon's bones rather than do their own thing.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 5:53pm.
AMEN!
FireRam's picture

AMEN!

Submitted by FireRam on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 5:52pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

There is nobody as good as Lee. There should never have been any sequels made. The remake will suck as much as any other remake does today. I'm only interested in watching the original.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 5:28pm.
AMEN!
FireRam's picture

AMEN!

Submitted by FireRam on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 5:52pm.

"The Crow" sequels had potential to be great, but were more concerned with imitating Lee's original than forming their own molds.

Look at "City of Angels." There are so many references to the original movie, that it loses all sense of its own identity. Even Vincent Perez looks like Brandon Lee at some points.

If they had done different things and not just relied on the original as a mold, then this series could have been great.

The latter graphic novels from O'Barr's story are quite good because they're different and unique.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 5:34pm.
FireRam's picture

And again, AMEN!!!!!

Submitted by FireRam on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 5:53pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

I'd rather listen to Sheryl Crow than see any of the sequels again. They all look like they had a budget of $20. Brandon Lee was more than just looks. I believe he was truly gifted and would have been a fairly big action star. But we've had this discussion before haven't we?

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 5:44pm.