Vincenzo Natali Talks Swamp Thing

One superhero whom we feel never really got a fair shake on the big screen is DC Comics' Swamp Thing. Yes, Craven's film (let's not even talk about its sequel) was pretty good for its time, but with such a cool and complex character, there's so much more that could be done. When it comes to complexity, you've got to give the nod to director Vincenzo Natali, and recently he spoke about possibly taking the reins behind a new film starring big green.

In a recent interview with MTV News Natali said he'd love to make a Swamp Thing movie based on Alan Moore's classic run of the series.

"There are two incarnations of Swamp Thing — both of them are quite wonderful," said Natali. "The first one was by Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson, which was a more traditional sort of retake on classic, James Whale-style, Universal Studio horror films. Then Alan Moore reinvented the character in the early '80s, and that's actually the version that's a little more interesting to me."

"[Swamp Thing] kind of became... I don't want to call him an ecological superhero, but he became an ecological character quite unlike anything you've ever seen before," he explained. "It's a comic book, but it delves into some very interesting stuff, both psychological and philosophical."

Couldn't agree more. We reported last August that Joel Silver's Silver Pictures would be bringing Swampy back in 3D. The project has been in various stages of production for a few years now. Hopefully the positive buzz will spur on some real movement. Stay tuned.

Stay out of his swamp by staying in the Dread Central forums!

Vanvance1's picture

This is the right director to give the project. He obviously understands the property and Cube is a classic.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Thu, 04/08/2010 - 7:13pm.
moderator Completely agree! He totally

Completely agree! He totally has the chops for this flick! Bring it on, baby!

Submitted by Steve Barton on Thu, 04/08/2010 - 8:03pm.

I fucking hated Cube. Yeah I said it. Whaddya gonna do about it?
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 04/08/2010 - 7:18pm.
moderator Wow ... I don't think I know
Debi Moore's picture

Wow ... I don't think I know anybody that *hates* Cube. (Well, now I do, I guess.) I think it's genius and really enjoyed the sequels as well.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Thu, 04/08/2010 - 8:19pm.

Yeah I saw it twice hoping to be convinced it wasn't as bad as I originally thought and every time I left it thinking "What... that's it?!" Meh, it's a great concept with a poor execution.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 04/08/2010 - 8:41pm.
FireRam's picture

I saw CUBE ZERO and I liked it. I then saw CUBE 2:HYPERCUBE and didn't really care for it all that much although I did like the very end hehe. I have yet to see the original CUBE. I meant to after watching those (guess I went backwards, not intentionally though) but have forgotten all about it. I'll put it on Netflix queue now.

Submitted by FireRam on Thu, 04/08/2010 - 8:55pm.

You'll probably love it. Everyone else does. I just don't see the big deal at all. Again, great concept but a piss poor execution. And I never gave a shit who or what invented the cube.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 04/08/2010 - 8:58pm.
FireRam's picture

I only "liked" CUBE ZERO. Didn't love it. Plus, it was free on Comcast when I came across it. I just watched a trailer for CUBE 2 on IMDB to refresh my memory. Actually, that one I really didn't like. Watched that one on cable and I remember now sitting there just hoping it would come to a conclusion. Although the end (very end) cracked me up. SO, unless CUBE is alot better than those I doubt there will be any love involved but I would give it a view since I saw these two.

Submitted by FireRam on Thu, 04/08/2010 - 9:03pm.

Yeah it's probably best to give Cube a watch to complete the trilogy. Let me know whatcha think. I think I remember watching Cube Zero. Is that the one that ends with the girl in the forest showing her kid a picture that dude drew for them? That was lame.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 04/08/2010 - 9:06pm.
FireRam's picture

Something like that. The two guys were like guards of the cube and when an innocent woman was put in the cube the one guard goes into the cube to save her. And you mentioned not giving a F who or what invented the cube. If the revealed that in HYPERCUBE or CUBE ZERO I completely forget why it existed. In ZERO I think it was like a prison or something.

Submitted by FireRam on Thu, 04/08/2010 - 9:21pm.
Vanvance1's picture

Go easy on Cube. I didn't mind (but wasn't impressed by) the sequels but the original is a winner.

Granted it's technically weak and obviously low budget, but the imagination is there. A wonderful cure for too many generic movie cliches.

Anytime a movie is unique (and it works) I'm thrilled. Hence my love of Cube and Bubba Ho-tep.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Thu, 04/08/2010 - 9:32pm.

Why go easy on it? The movie pretty much sucked. It's crap. It has nothing to do with the budget, I just thought the characters were awful, the acting terrible, the pacing poor, the surprises bland, and the overall concept poorly done.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 04/08/2010 - 9:37pm.
Vanvance1's picture

The pacing and the concept worked for me.

I usually go easy on books and movies that try to bring something new to the table.

I've seen so many movies that different can score big points with me.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Thu, 04/08/2010 - 10:27pm.

Well I'm glad someone can enjoy it then.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 04/09/2010 - 12:57am.
Floydian Trip's picture

I think Cube is a great movie.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Thu, 04/08/2010 - 10:59pm.

A GOOD Swamp Thing movie? It could happen with the right people.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 04/08/2010 - 6:43pm.
LifeMi's picture

Please let there be a new Swamp Thing. The first two might not have been anything worth writing home about, but they were good cheesy fun and childhood favorites of mine.

Submitted by LifeMi on Thu, 04/08/2010 - 5:26pm.