The Walking Dead Has Found its Rick

Now that we all know that Jon Bernthal will be playing Shane, partner of the main character, Rick Grimes, in Frank Darabont's adaptation of The Walking Dead for AMC, speculation has been at a fever pitch over who will play Grimes himself. Today the answer has come.

According to The Hollywood Reporter London-born actor Andrew Lincoln ("Teachers," "Strike Back," "Afterlife") will play Rick Grimes, a small-town cop who leads a group of survivors in their struggle against a world besieged by zombies.

When reached for comment, series creator Robert Kirkman shared the following with fans. "Andrew Lincoln, wow -- what an amazing find this guy is," said Kirkman. "Writing Rick Grimes month after month in the comic series, I had no idea he was an actual living, breathing human being, and yet, here he is. I couldn't be more thrilled with how this show is coming together."

The Walking Dead is based on Robert Kirkman's popular comic series. It chronicles the months and years following a zombie apocalypse. Frank Darabont is the project's writer, director, and exec producer with Anne Hurd and David Alpert also exec producing. KNB will be handling the effects, and AMC has already ordered six episodes.

Look for more very soon, and if you haven't begun reading this tale yet, click below, order, and get started like yesterday. You'll be thanking us later.

Andrew Lincoln is Rick in The Walking Dead

Walk with the dead in the Dread Central forums!

RingoJ's picture

I would have liked it if they cast an actual southerner.

Submitted by RingoJ on Thu, 04/08/2010 - 12:14am.
moderator He looks okay, but I'm a
Debi Moore's picture

He looks okay, but I'm a little disappointed a real Southern American actor didn't get the part. I just hope we don't have the situation of a now you hear it/now you don't British accent. That's the worst!

Submitted by Debi Moore on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 6:40pm.

Better someone who can act the part than casting a genuine Southerner for the hell of it.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 7:45pm.
moderator They don't have to be
Debi Moore's picture

They don't have to be mutually exclusive. Plenty of guys could fit the bill -- like UC's choice of AJ Bowen. But like I said, I'm not super upset or anything, just cautiously optimistic.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 7:47pm.

AJ Bowen as Rick? Nah, I don't see it. He doesn't look like Rick at all and I don't see him fitting the role. I'm happy with this choice. Very happy.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 8:03pm.
Spaceshark's picture

If the entire cast of True Blood can warble in a Southern drawl then I don't see why that can't happen to Mr. Teatime here. I like this choice. I approve.

Submitted by Spaceshark on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 8:17pm.
moderator It's a few of those
Debi Moore's picture

It's a few of those "warbles" that I have in mind. At times they can be more caricature than character.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 8:30pm.

But what if they DID cast an actual Southerner who happened to have a warble similar to the people in True Blood? Would that be worse for the show or okay because it's an actual Southerner?
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 8:40pm.
Exactamundo,

Exactamundo, Spaceshark.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 8:29pm.
Vanvance1's picture

Finally another (hopefully) sophisticated horror show. It has been a long time since Carnivale.

For the last few years I've had to sate my desire for intelligent tv in other (lesser) genres. The Shield, Breaking Bad etc..,

P.S. Kudos for snagging KNB, I almost always enjoy their work.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 6:16pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Donald Sutherland

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 4:57pm.

Wow, that's definitely Rick Grimes! I can picture him with the long hair and beard already! Man, I don't mind if they alter the characters a bit for the show, but please keep Rick identical to his comic counterpart. He's my favorite character.

I'm glad we didn't get Johnny Lee Miller.

Can't fucking wait to see what the show looks like when it premieres.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 4:53pm.