AFI and Green Day Announce Summer Tour

Punk lives! At least the 2010 version of punk does. In one of the more interesting pairings we've seen lately, AFI and Green Day have announced they will hit the road together for a late summer tour beginning August 3rd, marking another piece of joint history for the two iconic bands who both got their starts in the NorCal scene.

While both bands have come a long way from their Gilman days, the tour will give fans the chance to experience an epic night of music rooted in the East Bay!

The guys in AFI have been touring tirelessly in support of their recent release, Crash Love, and will also be headlining "Bamboozle Left" this coming Saturday, March 27th, in Anaheim, California. Green Day is heading to Europe from May 29th through July 4th. Their joint tour dates are below, and keep checking both the official AFI website and the official Green Day website as new dates will be added soon.

August
28 Denver, CO Comfort Dental Amphitheater On Sale 3/27
30 Phoenix, AZ Cricket Wireless Pavilion On Sale 4/3
31 Los Angeles, CA Verizon Wireless Amphitheater on Sale TBA

September
2 Chula Vista, CA Cricket Wireless Amphitheatre On Sale 4/2

- Debi Moore

Don't punk out in the Dread Central forums.

Cinemascribe's picture

I'm down with music overage if that's what keeps it rolling around here. What the hell. Why not? Is it going to detract from the awesome horror-centric coverage we'll still be receiving? As a reader/fan, all I ask is that whenever it's available, toss in some Alice Cooper info . The man is my rock hero and never has an artist been better suited for a news feed on DC.

And Floydian.. a lot of horror may be shit (though I'd argue that in recent years much of it has been exceptional) but, thanks to this site, at least we know what's going on out there. They don't control the quality of what's being made, they just let us know that it exists.

------------
"I'm saying that I'm an insect who dreamt he was a man...and loved it. But now the dream is over..and the insect is awake." - Seth Brundle

Submitted by Cinemascribe on Thu, 03/25/2010 - 12:33am.
Floydian Trip's picture

The musical coverage is awesome and isn't done hardly enough. As far as one-stop shopping goes I'll be happy when DC starts covering sci-fi. Love it or hate it, Avatar was an event and should have been given coverage and a review here. The absence of any coverage pretty much negated DC claims of trying to branch out which I am all for. There's much more to life than horror movies thank God. If horror was all I was interested in I'd never be able to go to the movie theatre.

Anyway Green Day is fucking brilliant. They were alot of fun in the beginning but with their last couple of albums have shown an amazing amount of maturity. American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown are 2 of the best albums of last decade and while Rolling Stone's coverage of the best artists and albums of the decade was horrible I did like to see them cover Green Day in it. They are the modern Day Beatles to me and are progressing almost identically to them.

As it is the music coverage here is just a tease.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 12:59pm.

Avatar deserves to be covered and not Twilight? Oh man you're such a kidder, your fetishizing of that turd big mac is always a source of amusement. The day DC starts covering stuff like Avatar that's when I'll officially laugh at the page transforming in to something that's anything but a horror news page.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 1:07pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

I'll only respond with as far as I'm concerned horror and sci-fi go hand in hand and always have since I was a kid. Put them together and it's as potent a mix as a marine in an Avatar body.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 1:38pm.

Turd big mac.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 1:51pm.

Fuck these bands. It's all about Guantanamo School Of Medicine. But I'm wondering what everyone else is wondering... What does this have to do with horror?

Submitted by Minion on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 2:00am.

Hahaha The Guantanamo School Of Medicine. One of my best friends is their bassist now. Check out their guitarist Ralph Spite's old band VICTIMS FAMILY too...amazing stuff.

Submitted by The Butcher on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 2:42am.
Vanvance1's picture

The only horror to be found here is just how freaking bad some people's musical tastes are.

Nice try though, Terminal. :P

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 1:24am.

Haha, at least I tried, right?

----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 5:26am.
Rottenjesus's picture

So, this is related to horror in what way exactly?

Submitted by Rottenjesus on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 12:22am.
moderator Davey Havok, lead singer of
Debi Moore's picture

Davey Havok, lead singer of AFI, is one of the voices in Godkiller so there's that connection. And, like UC said, a lot of the sites are branching out to cover music here and there. We figured it'd be something you guys might appreciate -- kind of one-stop shopping. It is interesting, though, that even though we've been doing it for several months now, stories like this seem to touch a nerve.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 12:09pm.
moderator Lotta horror fans like both

Lotta horror fans like both bands. Most of the genre sites are covering music now as well. We try to do it as little as possible.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 3:02am.
Vanvance1's picture

Lack of focus. How do you choose what music to cover? Let me guess, it is what you personally enjoy.

Okay, I'm a hard core horror fan and I hate Green Day. I do not see how they have anything at all to do with the horror genre.

The only time music should be relevant on a horror sight is when it's from a horror movie.

If you're hungry for more topics why don't you bring us more stories about horror novels and short stories? More interviews would be nice. Genre directors and the writers and special f/x people.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 3:55pm.
moderator Actually I hate both AFI and

Actually I hate both AFI and Green Day. I'm more of a Tool, STP, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Muse, Pink Floyd, The Doors, and Nirvana guy, so sorry buddy, you lose, try again! ;)

We get 100's of press releases a day about music and otherwise. If we see one for a band that we know is popular with the horror crowd, or at least some of the horror crowd, we cover it.

And I don't know what site you're reading Vance but we cover all of those things you mentioned you wanted more of as thoroughly as the best of 'em. DC is updated 24/7, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, including holidays. All so that you and others will find even more reasons to complain. We've readily accepted that even if we got George Romero to go to someone's home to perform Night of the Living Dead via pantomime there will always be someone saying that we don't do enough. But damn it we are trying, and we know that there are loads of people out there who do appreciate it so we're fine with that.

As for interviews 9 times out of 10 they're arranged when someone has a new product to promote. Though we often go digging outside of that to provide you guys with unique content whenever we can.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 4:23pm.
Vanvance1's picture

My apologies, I guess I'm being too negative. The truth is I come to Dread Central before any other horror site because you guys have consistently been the best.

Alas, the problem with being top of the heap is your readers will hold you to higher standards.

Naturally we will question non-horror related content on a horror site.

Also, if you don't like Green Day then what makes you so sure it's a common horror love?

P.S. Just because other sites are doing it doesn't mean you have to. There are countless media related sites on the net. The way to set yourselves apart is to stay focused. Give us horror, horror and MORE horror.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 10:36pm.
moderator Dude, no harm no foul. We

Dude, no harm no foul. We take every bit of feedback (whether we agree or not) to heart and try our best to churn out the kind of stuff that keeps you here having fun.

We never operate on the level that you guys are our readers and you have to be subject to our viewpoints. For us, you're all our peers and the reason why we're lucky enough to do what it is that we do.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Thu, 03/25/2010 - 3:45am.
Floydian Trip's picture

Why don't you go find a strictly horror related website then. I want them to cover music, all kinds, and everything outside of horror but for now just sci-fi.

Exactely where is all this goddamn horror that needs to be covered anyway? It's all shit. Pick up the latest Fangoria and find out for yourself.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 10:47pm.

Wow, so the solution to Vavance's logical and reasonable complaints is to find another website? Who are you to tell him to go elsewhere? Last I checked you're not a writer nor do you run the site.

And I'm pretty sure telling people to go somewhere else is not a good way to draw readers in to a site you claim to love, but again you display sound reasoning.

And anyway, why would you want them to cover all types of music? So you'd be happy if they started covering people like Kesha, or Bob Dylan, or the Allman brothers?

You're asking for a website that's not a horror website, so I suggest YOU go elsewhere. The minute they start covering sci fi and action and drama is the moment they cease to become an actual horror news site. And I officially go elsewhere.

I'm in agreement with Vavance. Stay focused on horror if you're going to call yourself a horror site. If I want to know about AFI or Green Day I'll go to a music site. Sites like Joblo, Arrow in the Head, and AICN aren't covering the latest concerts.

And if they're going to trail in to science fiction, action, and drama, cut the crap and just call yourself a genre site like Arrow did years ago.

I swear Floydian, sometimes I think you should have your keyboard revoked or something.

----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 11:45pm.
Vanvance1's picture

Pardon, but music is huge, there are a dozen genres and a thousand sub-genres. For music coverage I go to a music site that writes about the stuff I like. You might want to try it.

I love SF too, and I'm all for coverage of horror/SF cross overs (i.e. Pandorum), but again there are sites that cater to the SF fan as well.

And if I thought the 'horror was all shit' I wouldn't be here and I wonder why you are.

No site can be everything to everyone. This is a horror site so I come here for HORROR.

P.S. I love breasts too... I'll bet a LOT of the Dread Central readers love breasts (more than love Green Day). It doesn't mean I want DC to add stories and pictures about them (er um... well if they really wanted).

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 11:07pm.

Yep yep.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 11:31pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

You honestly don't like Green Day? They went from a pop band to a progressive rock band just like The Beatles. American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown are two great concept albums and not too many bands make concept albums anymore.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 8:05pm.
moderator I dunno I think of Green Day

I dunno I think of Green Day as more of a faux punk band than anything else. If I want real punk I'll crank up the Dead Boys or The Dead Kennedys. They have a few good songs here and there but they're far from the top of my music playlist.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Thu, 03/25/2010 - 3:42am.
Floydian Trip's picture

I've never really considered them a punk band. I don't think of The Clash as punk either. True punk music I don't like. You should give Richard Basterds band a listen.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Thu, 03/25/2010 - 9:09am.
moderator Actually, the only music
Debi Moore's picture

Actually, the only music stories about what the writers "personally enjoy" are those in the new feature Scare-Riff-Eyeing by The Butcher. As we've said time and time again, sometimes the stories come to us from publicists for the bands, sometimes from the bands themselves, and sometimes from readers suggesting them. We never push our personal agendas on the site.

As for your other suggestions, we do our best to cover novels and short stories -- have you seen how many reviews and news stories we have for that medium versus our competitors? But reading requires a big chunk of time, as does transcribing interviews. Most of our staff have day jobs so free time is a big factor in the types of things we can cover.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 4:18pm.

Green Day and AFI are emo, thus they wear eyeliner which is make up, Tom Savini is a make up artist. Boom, connection. Pretty obvious connection there.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 12:32am.
El Regio Dude's picture

LOL, that´s fucking hilarious...

And, yeah, i think AFI sucks big time.

"Santo llamando a Blue Demon..."

Submitted by El Regio Dude on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 1:17pm.

Hehehe. Carlos Mencia look out!

I like one of AFI's songs, but that's about it. Can we get news on the next Allman Brothers concert?
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 03/24/2010 - 1:23pm.