Producer Talks Final Destination 5

Just a few days after the announcement that the powers that be over at Warner Brothers had given the go ahead for a fifth film Final Destination franchise, producer Craig Perry recently shed a little more light on things such as just how far along the project actually is.

Bloody Disgusting caught up with Perry, who offered the following tidbits of terror -- "If we find the right storyline for FD5 – and we're working on it – then we'll take the lessons we learned from TFD and make the necessary improvements to deliver what audiences expect from this franchise, going back to the original," he tells BD. "What I know for sure is that it will be in 3D and deliver inventive, suspenseful, fun kills. That I can promise!"

That's good to hear considering The Final Destination was a bit of a misfire. Hopefully all those concerned will get things back on track. Hey, it happened with Saw!

Look for more soon!

Cheat death in the Dread Central forums.

Sirand's picture

I just view all these films as dumbass exploitation movies. I had fun with all of em. It's this generation's Friday the 13th.

Submitted by Sirand on Mon, 03/22/2010 - 2:28pm.

I think they should do a period piece... Rather than stick with the modern era, show how death has been chasing people throughout the years - Maybe something set during the time of the Roman occupation - maybe some prisoners escape being mauled to death in the arena?

Submitted by PelusaMG on Mon, 03/22/2010 - 2:25pm.
theGoldenSimatar's picture

So basically they're going to take the script for the first film, change character names, death scenes, and generic location to another generic location?

The first one was good, I do agree with you Terminal the series is a bit of a misfire though. They could have explored the whole 'Death After You' much more and made that an integral part of the story instead of having the character running around trying to stop their own deaths like they do every time.

Potential for interesting story lost to extreme formula. Looking at the series, it defines formulaic.

Submitted by theGoldenSimatar on Mon, 03/22/2010 - 12:00pm.

Agreed GoldenSimatar. The first one seemed to be building on something, alluding toward a lore or a mythos. They could have explained and developed on so much in the last movie, but instead it's just mind numbing CGI Faces of Death for the mindless horror geeks. It's a damn shame.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 03/22/2010 - 6:05pm.
theGoldenSimatar's picture

Aye. Perfect chance to explore and try some fresh things but they squandered it on what would be 'safe' for them.

Submitted by theGoldenSimatar on Mon, 03/22/2010 - 9:05pm.
Rob's picture

I'm guessing the opening mass kill of the next one is going to be some sort of boat or cruise ship disaster. First one, plane. Second one, car pile up. Third one, rollercoaster. Fourth one, car derby.

That said, I haven't seen the third or the fourth one. The third one couldn't reel me in despite my fondness for Mary Elisabeth Winstead, and the fourth one had nothing to interest me at all. First one was quality stuff, second one was rather sadistic fun, and that's all I needed with this series.

Submitted by Rob on Mon, 03/22/2010 - 10:55am.

The whole series is a misfire. And I'm sure when he says storylines he just means introductions for the kills.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 03/22/2010 - 5:08am.