UPDATED: Tim Burton NOT Confirmed to Direct The Addams Family in Stop-Motion 3D

Oh, happy day! Around these parts we are big fans of Tim Burton's stellar stop-motion flicks The Nightmare Before Christmas and The Corpse Bride. However, we're even BIGGER fans of The Addams Family. Now comes news so ghoulishly good, I think I may have just peed a little while writing!

According to Deadline New York Burton will direct a 3D stop-motion animated film based on Charles Addams' original cartoon drawings of The Addams Family for Universal's family film unit Illumination Entertainment!

Choosing to base the movie around Addams' original artwork, which was a staple of The New Yorker magazine for many years, instead of following along the TV series or even the route the movies took is likely to bring us one hell of an entertaining time as Charles Addams had an extremely macabre sense of humor. Couple that with Burton's? This is gonna be good!

UPDATE: According to MTV "The Addams Family" could very well be something that Burton will be working on in the near or far future, but there just haven't been any decisions made yet.

Look for more soon.

Tim Burton to Direct The Addams Family in Stop-Motion 3D

Be Creepy and Kooky in the Dread Central forums!

brain's picture

We've seen what happens when Tim burton directs "uplifting and magical" and it's called "Alice in Wonderland"(and it sucks). He needs to just stick to what he's good at.

Submitted by brain on Thu, 03/18/2010 - 8:35pm.

I wouldn't say Alice was uplifting or magical. He tried to make it dark and self-consciously weird like he does with most of his stuff and it didn't work because of that. If he's going to just make dark, "quirky" movies he should just go full-tilt and work in collaboration with the new Hammer studio since he's owes a good portion of his style to their films.

Submitted by AngryChairr on Thu, 03/18/2010 - 10:36pm.
brain's picture

Actually, I didn't think he made it that weird, in fact I still thought the book was stranger. I felt like the main gist of the film was trying to get this girl to believe in herself....right??? And we're existing in a land where cats can disappear and reappear and where you can drink special potions that make you big and small. How much more magical do you need? I mean I realize it's not Harry Potter, but you can't say it doesn't have magic elements. That said, I agree with you and the hammer idea.

Submitted by brain on Fri, 03/19/2010 - 1:30pm.

This might work since it plays into Burton's now cliche revisionist gothic style like Sweeney Todd did. I just wish he'd try and branch out more like he did with Big Fish.

Submitted by AngryChairr on Thu, 03/18/2010 - 8:02pm.

I agree. I would like to see him stray from the Goth and Gloom and try something sort of uplifting and magical.

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 03/18/2010 - 8:04pm.

Stop motion? Not bad. I'd see it if it looked good enough.

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 03/18/2010 - 6:05pm.
moderator Yeah, it's very cool -- but
Debi Moore's picture

Yeah, it's very cool -- but where does this leave Dark Shadows? Man, I'm starting to think we're never going to see Depp don Barnabas' ring and cloak.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Thu, 03/18/2010 - 3:40pm.