Foycast 8: The Ten Worst DTV Films of 2009

Foycast 8You wanted it! You demanded it! You waited for it! You got it! At long last, the Foycast is back, baby! It always seems to take a while, but the wait is worth it.

Over an hour of audio for your ears to choke on. You'll hear about stomach viruses, computer viruses, my video collection, and how certain indie horror films are sucking my will to live. That will lead into the annual listing of the worst DVD horror movies of the past year. I'll even leave all of you as speechless Uncle Creepy was when I conclude the podcast with a dramatic reading from a schlocky book from my past. You ain't heard nothing yet!

Things get off to a slow start as Uncle Creepy and I do the usual explanation as to what the heck took so long in getting a new Foycast recorded, a discussion during which you'll probably hear more about stomach viruses than you ever wanted to from either of us.

Then I just randomly read off the titles of some of the videos in my VHS collection. This part admittedly is not as entertaining as it could have been because I spent most of that segment desperately trying to belch. If I sound a little short of breath during that portion, it's because I was drinking a Pepsi as we began the show and experienced that sensation when you really, really, really want to belch but you just can't. I hate that. You have no idea how close you all came to hearing a Godzilla-sized belch on the air.

The soda-induced gas finally passes in time for what many of you have been bugging me about for weeks: the annual top ten of the worst direct-to-DVD horror movies of 2009. It's an eclectic mix of old and new, American and foreign, low budget and no budget; and in a shocking turn of events, not a single Asylum production makes the list this year.

Wrapping it all up is something truly special, something never before done on a Dread Central podcast, something that will blow your minds. A dramatic literary reading by yours truly! Bad cinema gives way to schlocky literature as I read a passage from a very special book from my past. I've done some poetry in past podcasts but never anything quite like this.

So sit back and enjoy the eighth installment of the Foycast. Opening the show is a musical salute to that most noble warrior of the poultry kingdom in the form of the majestic theme song to the 1983 cockfighting cinema classic Rooster: Spurs of Death. Truly the proudest bird I know.

When you're done, vote for us on Podcast Alley.

• Click here to download the latest Foycast as an MP3!
  • Click here to listen to the latest Foycast on your computer!
  • Click here to subscribe to the Dread Central Interviews podcast! (iTunes)
  • Click here to subscribe to the Dread Central Interviews podcast! (non-iTunes)
  • - The Foywonder

Discuss everything and nothing in the Dread Central forums

krawlingkhaos's picture

Why can't I get this on itunes?

Submitted by krawlingkhaos on Thu, 02/04/2010 - 1:00pm.
    moderator It should be added shortly.
    Debi Moore's picture

It should be added shortly.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Thu, 02/04/2010 - 1:39pm.
    moderator In fact it's already there!

In fact it's already there!

Submitted by Steve Barton on Thu, 02/04/2010 - 4:56pm.
    LifeMi's picture

Awesome Foycast; it's great to hear a new one after 8 months of silence. Looking forward to the next one regardless of whether it'll be ten weeks from now or ten months.

Submitted by LifeMi on Thu, 02/04/2010 - 1:39am.
    Styling Shatner's picture

OK, now that I've listened to it all, I can say that it's another quality Foycast. It was fun listening to the movies getting ripped apart, but Foy's soliloquy to close it out = golden. I can just imagine our then prepubescent bad movie watcher asking his mom what "an erection" was, and what her reaction would have been.

Anyway, the DFF with the epic broomstick-shoving rant was the final 25 or so minutes of Episode 45, where the main talk was about Knowing and The Haunting in Connecticut.

Submitted by Styling Shatner on Wed, 02/03/2010 - 3:42am.
    RingoJ's picture

I knew that crab stuff sounded familiar. I've got Crustacean Vengeance, a crab short story of his, sitting on my bookshelf.

This guy has written a lot of books.

Submitted by RingoJ on Wed, 02/03/2010 - 2:54am.
    James Coker's picture

MUST BUY "CRABS ON......" BOOK!!!!!

Submitted by James Coker on Tue, 02/02/2010 - 5:31pm.
    Foywonder's picture

At least four more CRAB books from the same author. Should keep you reading for days.

Submitted by Foywonder on Tue, 02/02/2010 - 9:16pm.
    James Coker's picture

Thank You FOY, i just hope the other crab books haven't been Out of Print, and jeeeez why haven't this book series been made into a movie...fucking Hollywood

Submitted by James Coker on Wed, 02/03/2010 - 12:14am.
    VideoKidVsTheVoid's picture

Just in case you guys haven't discovered it yet, a movie has been made out of one of Guy N. Smith's crazy crab novels: ISLAND CLAWS (1980) (adapted from Night Of The Crabs I think). Although, it's nothing quite like that passage from the podcast!

Submitted by VideoKidVsTheVoid on Sat, 07/24/2010 - 7:56am.
    Cash Bailey's picture

What's that opening song? Is it Harry Chapin?

That guy is the darkest, most disturbed songwriter ever.

Submitted by Cash Bailey on Tue, 02/02/2010 - 4:12pm.
    Styling Shatner's picture

I've only gotten up to the part where the dishonorable mentions were starting, but I'll already say that it's good stuff, from that Rooster song to the reading of some of the B-movie action titles amongst the 5000 or so movies that Foy has in his collection. I've been eagerly anticipating a new Foycast so I'm glad it's here.

Submitted by Styling Shatner on Tue, 02/02/2010 - 2:42pm.