Kevin Williamson Offers More on Scream 4

The promise of a new Scream trilogy has a lot of fans buzzing as like it or not, the franchise totally revitalized the tired slasher subgenre in the 1990's. It seems that every so often we get a little more news on the upcoming Scream 4 to entice us further. Ready for the latest? Read on!

In an interview with IESB Williamson dropped the following:

"I'm almost done with the first draft of Scream 4," he tells the site. "I'm trying to get that together for Wes Craven. We've got to get going on that, during the [Vampire Diaries] hiatus. We have Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox, and Dave Arquette. I was always holding out hope because the pitch was about those three characters. I didn't want to have to re-route the whole story. We don't have to do that. I can do it exactly the way I wanted. The story is going to be told the way I originally conceived it."

As for who will be picking up the knife as Ghostface:

"Well, that's the whole point of the movie. What I have always liked about this movie versus other horror films is that I feel like there are characters. In other horror movies you remember Michael Meyers and you remember Jason. In our film I think you remember Sydney Prescott because Sydney Prescott's the victim and she has lasted for all three of these movies. The fun of the film is that it's Sydney Prescott. That's the difference, and you care about her. I want to write a story where you actually care about our characters and it's a plot that you watch them walk through. It's not all about the next kill. It's not all about slice and dice. I was watching Saw VI on pay-per-view the other night, and I was like, 'This is really just going from one kill to the next to the next.' It's fun, but I want to tell a story."

During the interview Williamson also verifies he's confirmed for Scream 4 and Scream 5 but is still in negotiations for Scream 6. Hit up the link for the entire interview.

Scream 4 Synopsis
The horror series that reignited the genre and grossed more than $500 million worldwide is back! From Kevin Williamson, creator of the original Scream trilogy, the new film sees the return of cast members Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox, and David Arquette along with a group of new stars, who can all hopefully stay alive long enough to figure out the new rules to this one-of-a-kind horror franchise!

AFM: Scream 4 Early Sales Art (click for larger image)

Discuss your favorite scary movie in theDread Central forums!

Sirand's picture

Having recently heard a few interesting things straight from the horse's mouth (I'm bound to secrecy) Scream 4 has officially perked my interest.

Submitted by Sirand on Sun, 01/31/2010 - 1:36pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Scream destroyed the genre in the 80's but Twilight is doing such a good job of that now I don't see the need for this movie.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sun, 01/31/2010 - 12:13pm.
Emilie Noetzel's picture

Maybe they'll make Arquette and Cox the killer. Their characters are aging and since the murders have stopped, they have no career, so to revive is cop career (or maybe he could be a P.I. this time around) and her journalistic career, they done the mask and costume and kill a bunch of people. Sydney is in on it and covering some of their tracks.

Someone we forgot from the first 3 comes back (is Sydney's dad dead?) to reaveal the whole thing in the end.

Submitted by Emilie Noetzel on Fri, 01/29/2010 - 5:20pm.
RingoJ's picture

I'd enjoy that.

Submitted by RingoJ on Fri, 01/29/2010 - 5:55pm.

Okay if the movie turns out like that THEN I'll restore my interest in the franchise.

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 01/29/2010 - 5:22pm.
Emilie Noetzel's picture

Maybe I should start writting...

Submitted by Emilie Noetzel on Fri, 01/29/2010 - 6:38pm.

Is anybody actually buying what this guy is spewing? It's pretty obvious we're going to repeat the formula of the former movies. Someone important gets killed by the mysterious ghost face, Sydney and her friends are made aware of this, we're introduced to new young characters, Dewey makes a fool out of himself and miraculously survives, Gale will fall in to trouble often, a lot of people get killed, Sydney is trying to find the identity of the killer or killers, a lot more people get killed, comedy and movie references rain from the screen, we find out their identity, there's a big showdown and another "The End...?" ushers in more sequels.

I don't give two fucks if it comes off as cynical, but it's pretty obvious how it will all go down. And Williamson is really full of crap because Scream 2 and 3 were all about kill after kill after kill. Even Scream (which has aged quite poorly like all of Craven's movies) eventually dropped the pretense of "We're totally the anti-slasher, aren't we cool?" and developed to the point where it became all about kill after kill after kill.

You care about the characters? Besides principle characters Sydney, Dewey, Gale, and the supporting player Randy, can anyone really name the victims and minor characters from Scream 2 and 3 out of memory without looking at IMDB? Come on.

I guess the Bulletpoint here is: I have no faith in the movie/s, Williamson, or Craven.

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 01/29/2010 - 5:12pm.