The King is Back! New Kong Ride Debuts at Universal This Summer!

The June 2008 backlot fire at Universal Studios was tragic on several levels but none more so than the loss of the great King Kong ride that was a staple of the theme park. Gone for good was the giant animatronic monkey and his banana-scented breath. It left quite a void. Thankfully said void is about to be filled.

According to The LA Times after nearly 19 months away from the spotlight, a new King Kong -- more grizzled and definitely ferocious -- is preparing to return to Universal Studios Hollywood.

In what is being called "the largest 3D exhibit in the world",, visitors taking the new ride will not only see "Kong in three dimensions but also smell his banana breath, feel the gust of wind as he jumps over the guests, and sense the ground quake when the ape engages a Tyrannosaurus rex in a life-or-death battle".

From the article -- "During a recent preview of the technology, a dirty, battle-scarred Kong stared menacingly out from two 180-foot-long by 40-foot-tall screens that wrap around the trams that will carry visitors. In another scene, a 35-foot-tall T. rex stepped over the trams, turned to the audience, and bared its massive teeth.

'You are really going to be immersed in every part of the show,' Universal Studios show producer Valerie Johnson-Redrow said during the preview for employees and advertising sponsors last week."

The new Kong ride will debut this summer. Hit up the above link for more!

The King is Back! New Kong Ride Debuts at Universal This Summer!

Play dead in our Dread Central forums!

Rottenjesus's picture

Well that's just great. Replacing that amazing animatronic King Kong ride with 3D screens and sound? Lucky for me I got to experience Kong looming over the tram and roaring at us while shaking the bridge we were on was a great, physical experience that can't be duplicated. I also loved the part when he smashed the helicopter into the building and it blew up in a giant fireball!

This was circa 1987 where not only did we get attacked by Jaws but by old school Cylons as well! Combine that with that great live action Conan stage show and I was one happy kid that Summer.

Submitted by Rottenjesus on Thu, 01/28/2010 - 4:14am.
Emilie Noetzel's picture

Those all sound cool.

I wish I had been to Universal before the fire, but I had been told by multiple people that the LA one was a waste of time and money...

Submitted by Emilie Noetzel on Thu, 01/28/2010 - 11:09am.
Rottenjesus's picture

Those people are fools! Fools I tell you! ;)

Animatronics and pyro are miles better than screens and 3D glasses in my opinion.

Submitted by Rottenjesus on Thu, 01/28/2010 - 2:57pm.
Vermithrax's picture

So what the hell, the ride burns down here in FL and the damn Californians get the revamped ride? fucking LAME!

Submitted by Vermithrax on Wed, 01/27/2010 - 8:39pm.
moderator Not sure what you mean ...
Debi Moore's picture

Not sure what you mean ... the fire was at Universal Hollywood in June '08.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Wed, 01/27/2010 - 8:47pm.
nonserviam03's picture

The idea of them replacing something that's PHYSICALLY THERE with something that can only make a sad attempt to pretend to be BOGGLES my mind.

Submitted by nonserviam03 on Wed, 01/27/2010 - 7:46pm.
Emilie Noetzel's picture

They replaced animatronic King with 3D movies? Really?

Lame. I guess I will never get to see the original greatness.

Submitted by Emilie Noetzel on Wed, 01/27/2010 - 7:26pm.

the animatronic ride was actually quite boring and relied too heavily on the acting ability of the guide that was in the car with you. The 3D rides/attractions such as Terminator, Back to the Future and Spiderman are alot better and way more interesting.

Submitted by thedarkestshadow on Wed, 01/27/2010 - 7:41pm.
moderator I agree -- I think this 3D
Debi Moore's picture

I agree -- I think this 3D version sounds awesome!

Submitted by Debi Moore on Wed, 01/27/2010 - 8:47pm.
Emilie Noetzel's picture

I've seen those 3d rides (in Orlando) and was underwhelmed by most. Being shaken aroudn with 3d glasses on. woopie.

Submitted by Emilie Noetzel on Wed, 01/27/2010 - 7:44pm.