The Thing Prequel Begins Lensing in March

The Thing Prequel Begins Lensing in March (click for larger image)We have to admit we are guardedly optimistic about the upcoming prequel to the John Carpenter classic The Thing. If placed in the right hands, given today's leaps in special effects, it could be a total winner. Or it can turn into one hell of a CGI laden mess. I guess we'll find out soon enough as the prequel is set to begin lensing in just a couple of months.

According to Production Weekly's Twitter feed "Universal's prequel to John Carpenter's classic thriller 'The Thing' is due to begin filming March and continue till June in Toronto."

Universal Pictures and Strike Entertainment have tapped director Matthijs van Heijningen to direct the film from a screenplay by Ronald D. Moore and Eric Heisserer (Platinum Dunes' A Nightmare on Elm Street).

"Matthijs and I are hard at work with the very smart team at Strike on the prequel," said Heisserer a while back on his blog. "We are all so much in love with Carpenter’s film, so protective of it, we’re doing all we can to avoid stepping on its toes. I jumped at this job because I hold the Carpenter adaptation to very high standards, and I knew it would be a challenge to create a comparable companion piece. Sort of a 'Nobody better screw this up, especially me' mentality. Lucky for me, the people at Strike and the director have the same standards."

Mind you, fans everywhere are intending to hold you all to those standards! We'll be watching intently! Keep it here for more as it comes.

Find out who's human in the Dread Central forums

RingoJ's picture

Moore's involvement makes me feel a little better about this.

Submitted by RingoJ on Mon, 01/04/2010 - 10:04pm.
Permafrost's picture

How about...

That Thing You Used To Do
The Thing and Mr. Chicken

Submitted by Permafrost on Mon, 01/04/2010 - 12:56pm.

If there is even the slightest bit of CGI in terms of the creature effects, then they will have not only shown a lack of respect for Carpenter's film, but also for the outstanding PRACTICAL FX work of Rob Bottin!

Submitted by PelusaMG on Mon, 01/04/2010 - 12:28pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

I doubt anyone involved has even seen the movie or cares to.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Mon, 01/04/2010 - 12:40pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Who is Mathis Van Helsing anyway? I can see him directing from a blimp with a big megaphone and huge curly mustache.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Mon, 01/04/2010 - 12:22pm.
doubleh55's picture

I really do grow weary of directors and producers claiming they love a film and wanna do it justice, blah blah blah but end up making utter shit.

Submitted by doubleh55 on Mon, 01/04/2010 - 12:15pm.
Blockbuster's picture

Frank, you excite me.

Submitted by Blockbuster on Mon, 01/04/2010 - 11:53am.
frank_dracman's picture

Could be called...
The First Thing
The Thing Before the Thing
First Things First
That Other Thing
The Thing: The Shitty Prequel

And for the love of God, don't let Cameron anywhere near this. The last thing we need is two things running around falling in love for 90 minutes.

Submitted by frank_dracman on Mon, 01/04/2010 - 11:46am.
The Buz's picture

Holy shit dude. First Things First made me laugh so fucking hard.

Submitted by The Buz on Mon, 01/04/2010 - 10:32pm.

Or...

The Fourth Thing
Thing's Complicated
Did You Hear About The Thing?
Thingatar
Thinganormal Activity
Michael Jackson: This is Thing

Submitted by PelusaMG on Mon, 01/04/2010 - 12:25pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Frank, you disappoint me.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Mon, 01/04/2010 - 11:47am.
frank_dracman's picture

Sorry man, it just seems we're disagreeing on everything lately. You like pizza, right? Everyone likes pizza! There, everything is copacetic :)

Submitted by frank_dracman on Mon, 01/04/2010 - 11:50am.
Floydian Trip's picture

I still haven't recovered from you comments about 2001 and Pink Floyd. That and the negative comments about The Lord of the Rings made me lose faith in humanity.:(

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Mon, 01/04/2010 - 11:53am.
Floydian Trip's picture

Cameron should do this. If he isn't making a sequel to Avatar.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Mon, 01/04/2010 - 10:08am.
Shambling_in_Bandages's picture

Damn, I wish we had a true horror master at the helm of this; he could probably explain what made The Thing snap on that specific day and decide to crashland that spaceship in the Antarctic.

Is there a title for this prequel yet? Is it simply 'The Thing' (for added confusion) or something arsetastically idiotic, like 'The Thing Begins'?

Submitted by Shambling_in_Ba... on Mon, 01/04/2010 - 9:54am.

Man, this could go either way. I hope it's good.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 01/04/2010 - 4:38am.