Rob Zombie Makes Surprise Label Switch; Hints at Blob Delay

It was announced a few days ago that Rob Zombie's new album Hellbilly Deluxe 2 was being delayed past its scheduled release date of November 17th due to some issues he was having with the Geffen label he's been with for the past 18 years. And today we got the word those problems were so irreparable that Zombie has signed a new worldwide deal with leading rock label Roadrunner Records through its Loud & Proud imprint.

As Billboard explained it, Zombie felt "the basic structure of releasing a record" was not adequately in place for the project.

"Basically the label (Geffen) wasn't really in a position to promote it or deal with it," Zombie explained. "It was basically everything, from getting advance copies to the press to...There wasn't even time to make a video (for the first single, 'What?', which you can hear below), and we were leaving for the tour. There was the sense that every little thing about the record was rushed -- not the music, 'cause that was done for a long time, and that was the thing that was so annoying. We spent so much time crafting the record, we didn't want it to be something that was so chaotic that it became, 'Oh, that's done and gone' two weeks later."

Now fans can look for Hellbilly Deluxe 2 from Roadrunner in early 2010. But none of the behind-the-scenes drama has affected his first headline tour since 2007, which kicked off October 29th in Phoenix, AZ. He told Billboard fans can expect a return to the lavish stage production he'd abandoned in supporting 2006's 'Educated Horses'.

"It's pretty awesome," Zombie noted. "I have the stage set from the first 'Hellbilly' tour in storage; I toyed with the idea of pulling it out...and using the actual set. But it felt so tired and contrived to do that. It seemed fake. So we've sort of gone back and created what seems like the new version of that...the modernized update of that. There have been some incredible advancements in digital technology. It's a pretty high-tech stage show going on. The stage feels very fresh, very modern, very high-tech. It has the spirit of that first show."

Zombie is also planning an "extra special" version of the show for his Halloween night performance at the Palladium in Los Angeles, re-creating the concert scene from his latest film, Halloween II, complete with a performance by Capt. Clegg & the Night Creatures and more pyrotechnics than he'll be using during other stops on the tour.

Zombie will be on the road until the fall of 2010. As for his next movie project, Billboard calls his remake of The Blob "rumored" and still "unscheduled" with another film "that will take him out of the horror and gore realm" in the pipeline. "If (that's) the next movie," Zombie said, "people will be shocked."

Hmmmm ... that's our Rob! Always up to something that gets people talking. Personally, I'm hoping it's that Western he's been hinting at. It's time for him to do something more suited to his filmmaking style.

While we wait for a definitive answer, visit RobZombie.com for Hellbilly Deluxe 2 World Tour updates, including the official blog, Twitter feed, photos, and videos directly from the road.

- Debi Moore

Find out the who, what, when, and where in the Dread Central forums!

elric300's picture

I'm looking forward to HELBILLY DELUXE 2, as the first one was probably his best album to date. The cover for the new one looks...kinda lame, to be honest. Nothing like the great artwork seen on the first one and just about every album Zombie's done up to EDUCATED HORSES. Maybe with the delay, we'll get some better cover art?

And yes, HALLOWEEN and H2...I just couldn't get behind them. I understand where Zombie's coming from, but eh. Both could've been much worse under lesser hands.
I don't know why he got involved with the Weinsteins at all, especially since the last time was with that aborted CROW sequel he was going to do. H2 was to fulfill his deal with them, so I'll give him a pass, considering how rushed it was as well. And seriously...THE BLOB? I just can't see him getting involved with another remake. Better to do something original that's his, and sink or swim on that. Worse case, you fail with honor. I think he was joking anyways.

Zombie's VERY talented. He's got the tour for the next year,and you bet I'll be there alright. After that, with a few films under his belt, it's just time for him to pilot his own ship and see where it leads him.

Submitted by elric300 on Mon, 11/02/2009 - 1:49am.
Floydian Trip's picture

UC with all due respect haven't you guys been a bit overly negative in pretty much every bit of news about him? While at the same time updating news of the Twilight Saga, lol, on a daily basis? To me anyway, and maybe I'm in the minority and who gives a shit but you guys DO come off as Anti-Rob Zombie.

It's not disliking him or any of his movies that bothers me. He's got a very strong and distinct personality and if you don't like him, you don't like him. It's the hatred to the utmost extreme that bothers me. I've seen people go so far as to comment that they'd like him to die. That's just fucking ridiculous for a guy that's just trying to do his own thing.

He didn't even want to make Halloween in the first place. So maybe he didn't want to make an independant film either and remakes are what the sheep want to see.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sun, 11/01/2009 - 8:03pm.
moderator Again ... WE ARE NOT

Again ... WE ARE NOT ANTI-ROB ZOMBIE. His music is great, HOUSE Of 1K CORPSES was good, and DEVIL'S REJECTS was incredible. We've sang the praises of those efforts from the roof tops. That's majority opinion around here.

Also majority opinion -- Halloween, H2, and El Superbeasto were ill conceived train wrecks. We're not gonna praise them if we think otherwise just because it's Rob Zombie who made them and his past track record was good.

We'll continue to cover Rob's genre efforts and will do so happily. No one wants to see anyone make a bad movie or fail. In Rob's case most of the heat he brought on himself was from his own doing and it's not just with us. Here's a great fan-made outline. It's in four parts. The dude has a lot of valid points.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Sun, 11/01/2009 - 7:42pm.
TheFritz's picture

I completely agree. Rob, if you're listening, please get back to whatever you did with REJECTS, because that was a tiny sliver of brilliance that I would love to see nurtured into something greater. Not a remake or a sequel, but whatever inspired that is what you need to find to get back on track as a film-maker.

On the flip-side, his HALLOWEEN films were more than just really, REALLY bad movies. They were bad movies that remade an absolute classic. Gus Van Sant would have gotten the exact same trashing Zombie's gotten if he would have had the same audacity to return to the well of a classic to piss in it even further. The recent hatred of his recent films is, as Uncle Creepy said, is "heat he brought on himself".

So just screaming loader than his critics doesn't make your point more valid. It only makes it seem desperate at best.

Submitted by TheFritz on Mon, 11/02/2009 - 2:07pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Good points being brought up. I definitely don't figure "the masses" into an opinion. I think remakes are worthless generally speaking but I'd definitely take a Rob Zombie remake over any other. Most remakes are just pretty to look at but completely generic and non-descript in every other way. At least he had the balls to make H2 his own like it or not and I give him credit for that. Most studio director's don't even have a personality.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sun, 11/01/2009 - 6:54pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

I don't take DC or most other Rob haters seriously. If even one person could explain to me in a logical way why Zombie's Halloween's should be hated more than any of the other abortions of a sequel, including Season of the Witch now that I've seen how awful it is again, I'd pay attention.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sun, 11/01/2009 - 10:08am.
TheFritz's picture

You don't have to take anyone on DC seriously, but you might want to take box office numbers seriously, as that's the only quantifiable data that can be used to gauge whether the masses like or dislike his work. And considering that THE STEPFATHER raked in 700% more money than RZ's H2 over it's namesake holiday, I think it's fairly obvious that his fans (all four of you) are the only ones talking about how great he is. Not to mention that his is a remake and not a sequel. That sounds fairly logical to me.

Submitted by TheFritz on Sun, 11/01/2009 - 5:08pm.

Those masses are responsible for the year's biggest abortion, TRANSFORMERS 2, raking in around $400 million dollars, so I can't say I really trust them anymore than anyone else. And since when did box office dollars equal quality. You know how many great and/or interesting movies bombed at the box office? Hell, FIGHT CLUB's considered a classic now, and it barely made it's budget back in theatrical release. Why the hell should anyone give a tenth of a shit about box office figures unless he or she works for a studio? I have never, ever understood the obsession some filmgoers have with grosses.

On another note, I went to Zombie's show last at the Palladium in Hollywood and had a rocking good time. Best Halloween I've had in a while.

Submitted by mansuave on Sun, 11/01/2009 - 5:54pm.
Emilie Noetzel's picture

Money at the box office does not equal quality in no way. But to Hollywood bigwigs it does equal that they'll want more of the same.

As for wheither it's crap or not, each gets to make their own opinions on the subject when they see the movie.

I avoided Zombie's H2 as I did not like his first much. But I will mostl likely give his next CD a chance as well as his next movie if it is not a remake (as I really liked his first 2 movies).

Submitted by Emilie Noetzel on Mon, 11/02/2009 - 4:04pm.

Although I thought Rob Zombie's Halloween was a poor film, I'm not sure why people disliked H2 so much. I felt it corrected a lot of the faults with the first one, and even with ghost mom it sat well with me (I guess I appreciated the symbolism of her appearance). I also consider Zombie's H2 to be the second best film in the entire series.

Submitted by PelusaMG on Sun, 11/01/2009 - 2:32pm.
TheFritz's picture

The only thing that "people will be shocked" about is the fact that anybody would even consider giving him money to make another film, after not only the critical slamming his HALLOWEEN abortions have received, but also the flaccid box office his latest attempt at cinema has produced.

This only further proves that Hollywood is only concerned with personalities and not with creating genuine entertainment. I hope his new album and tour do so well he just decides to stick with that, since music is the only talent he seems to have. Storytelling? Not-so-much!!!

Submitted by TheFritz on Sat, 10/31/2009 - 3:24pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Zombie usually puts on a good show but the Educated Horses tour was lame. The album was lame.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sat, 10/31/2009 - 1:13pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

I lied I have quite a few Road Runner records here. Porcupine Tree, Megadeth, Opeth, Collective Soul, etc.

Best Buy seems to always prominently display all the shit metal bands on the label like Slipknot and Trivium and bullshit like that.

Still, Geffen just seems so old school. Are they in trouble financially?

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sat, 10/31/2009 - 1:11pm.

It felt contrived and fake to use the old set so he made a new set which was an updated of the old set. In other workds, in essence, he REMADE the old set?

What an ass...

Submitted by G.D. on Sat, 10/31/2009 - 1:04pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

That seems like a big step down. Who does Road Runner have that's any good?

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sat, 10/31/2009 - 12:52pm.
DavidFullam's picture

WTF? Rob Zombie hate at DC? Well I for one am completely and totally shocked!

Submitted by DavidFullam on Sat, 10/31/2009 - 12:29pm.
moderator I think overall everyone
Debi Moore's picture

I think overall everyone around here respects Rob as a musician, and the "hate" is directed at his last two films, more than him as a person. The love most of us have for Rejects and, to a lesser degree, Corpses is pretty indisputable.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Sat, 10/31/2009 - 4:04pm.

Even though I can't stand Rob Zombie in a creative sense, you really don't know what you're talking about Shambling.

It would take too long to explain to you how record contracts work, but let's just say this was probably instigated from Rob Zombie's camp and is more than likely a very lucrative and upward move. Roadrunner (who I am VERY familiar with, having old friends at the company and almost having signed to myself at one point fairly recently) will give RZ the preferential treatment he deserves (in a commercial sense) and probably shelled out some of those NICKELBACK (shudder) megabucks they've made to secure him in their roster. This is a great move businesswise. RZ gets to be a big fish in an already pretty big pond, and Roadrunner comes that much closer to being a more mainstream and major label, shedding their indy roots that much more, and heading once again into even wider territory with even bigger game.

Submitted by The Butcher on Sat, 10/31/2009 - 12:08pm.
Shambling_in_Bandages's picture

I remember when Roadrunner was a mostly terrible label with a mostly terrible roster (late 1980s or thereabouts). Is it still a mostly terrible label with a mostly terrible roster, or are they merely trying to get back to their mostly terrible roots by signing people like Rob Zombie?

Submitted by Shambling_in_Ba... on Tue, 11/03/2009 - 8:37am.
Shambling_in_Bandages's picture

Poor Rob, he keeps falling out with everyone, doesn't he? He wants to make movies, but falls out with studios. He wants to make music but falls out with record labels.

Rob, don't you understand? You're the problem. You're... just awful.

Submitted by Shambling_in_Ba... on Sat, 10/31/2009 - 10:58am.