FANTASTIC FEST Winners Announced!
For those of you who weren't in Austin, TX from September 23-30, you missed out. Fantastic Fest lived up to its name and presented some of the newest, most anticipated, and best films of the year. From the comfort and coolness of the Alamo Drafthouse (which serves AWESOME food during movies) to the palatial Paramount Theater, Austin showed that it knows how to treat fans of genre films.
Think about it: Seven days filled with movies like Zombieland, Paranormal Activity, and Survival of the Dead, side-by-side with some truly creative short films, foreign films, low-budget indie movies, and stars, all put within a mile of each other. It was a movie-lover's paradise. But alas, all good things must come to an end (until next year), but not without a few parting shots.
Below are the announced winners of the various Fantastic Fest contests, and while I can't say I agree with all the decisions, the films were voted on not just by a jury, but also by the fans. I can honestly say that every film on this list deserves to be there. Next year's Fantastic Fest is already in the works, and you'd better believe that it will be THE place to be. Sure, the badges seem pricey, but they are well worth the price.
Congratulations to all the winners, and congratulations to everyone whose films graced the screens!
- ANIMATED SHORTS:
- Best Animated Short - I AM SO PROUD OF YOU (Don Hertzfeldt)
- Special Mention - ALMA (Rodrigo Blaas)
- FANTASTIC SHORTS:
- Best Fantastic Short - TERMINUS (Trevor Cawood)
- Special Jury Award - NEXT FLOOR (Denis Villeneuve)
- HORROR SHORTS:
- Best Horror Short - FULL EMPLOYMENT (Thomas Oberlies, Matthias Vogel)
- Special Mention - EXCISION (Richard Bates, Jr.)
- HORROR FEATURES
- Best Horror Feature: HUMAN CENTIPEDE (Tom Six)
- Best Horror Director: Kerry Prior (THE REVENANT)
- Best Horror Actor: Dieter Laser (HUMAN CENTIPEDE)
- Best Horror Actress: Neve McIntosh (SALVAGE)
- FANTASTIC FEATURES
- Best Fantastic Feature: MANDRILL (Ernesto Diaz-Espinoza)
- Best Fantastic Director: Kim Nguyen (TRUFFE)
- Best Fantastic Screenplay: Tamio Hayashi adapted from Kotaro Isaka (FISH STORY)
- Best Fantastic Actor: Marko Zaror (MANDRILL)
- Best Fantastic Actress: Chiaki Kuriyama (KAMOGAWA HORUMO)
- NEXT WAVE FEATURES
- Best Feature: DOWN TERRACE (Ben Wheately)
- Best Director: Yang Ik-Joon (BREATHLESS)
- Best Screenplay: Robin Hill, Ben Wheatley (DOWN TERRACE)
- Best Actor: Jeong-min Hwang (PRIVATE EYE)
- Best Actress: Shera Bechard (SWEET KARMA)
- AUDIENCE AWARDS
- Audience Award, Best Feature: A TOWN CALLED PANIC (Stephane Aubier, Vincent Patar)
- Audience Award, Honorable Mention Films:
- UWE BOLL'S TOTALLY AWESOME VIDEO GAMES FILMMAKING FRENZY CONTEST:
This year, Filmmaking Frenzy teamed up with G4 to create a contest that challenged filmmaking teams around the nation to create trailers for movies based on video games. Uwe Boll, the undisputed master of that genre, showed up to be the judge.
- Team: FilthyButts
Film: MARIO PAINT
Team Capt: Joey Graham
- FANTASTIC FEST BUMPER CONTEST:
Filmmaking Frenzy also challenged teams to create 30 second Fantastic Fest bumpers that would play before all of the features in the festival. So many teams responded to this challenge that no bumper was played twice. The winning video was chosen by the Filmmaking Frenzy online community.
- Team: FOGAR!
Film: DOGZILLA VS. CATHRA
Team Capt - Maurice Jacks
- SHAKEY FACE BADGE PHOTO:
Fantastic Fest badges ask for a photo submission, similar to other festivals the world over. At Fantastic Fest, though, we demand that badgeholders submit a "Shakey Face" photo, and we reward the best face of the fest with a blanket featuring their shaken mug woven on it. This year's winners are listed below, and you can check out a video of their Shakey Face Throwdown after that.
- 2009 Shakey Face Award
Winners: Christine Fisher, Troy Gonzales
Got news? Click here to submit it!
Discuss Fantastic Fest in our forums!