Rob Zombie to Expand into Sci-Fi Realm with Blob Remake

In an unexpected turn of events, Rob Zombie will soon be writing, directing, and co-producing ... not an original film as you might think ... but a reinvention of The Blob. Yes, The Blob.

Variety reports that production will begin next spring. While he’ll follow the release of "H2" with a new album and tour this fall, he’ll complete the script at that time. "I usually follow a movie by putting out a record and going on tour, and I write the script during that tour," he said. "The tour will take me through Christmas."

As for why the shift back into remake mode, Zombie explained, "I’d been looking to break out of the horror genre, and this really is a science fiction movie about a thing from outer space. I intend to make it scary, and the great thing is, I have the freedom once again to take it in any crazy direction I want to. Even more than 'Halloween', where I had to deal with accepted iconic characters like Michael Myers and Laurie Strode. 'The Blob' is more concept than specific storyline with characters, so I can go nuts with it. My intention is not to have a big red blobby thing ... I have a totally different take, one that’s pretty dark."

Zombie will produce with The Genre Co.’s Richard Saperstein (the former Dimension Films president who became close with Zombie during H2) and Brian Witten, original Blob producer Jack H. Harris, and Judith Parker Harris of Worldwide Entertainment Corporation. The budget for the film, which is already being promoted as R-rated, will be around $30 million. As for who The Genre Co. is, it is apparently an entity to watch as they are currently also in pre-production on Darren Bousman's Mother’s Day redux. Always good to see new friends of horror arriving on the scene.

What this all means for Zombie's mysterious Tyrannosaurus Rex remains to be seen. In the meantime, wrap your brains around this announcement by watching the original film's trailer from 1958 and wondering who among today's crop of young actors could come close to filling Steve McQueen's shoes.

- Debi Moore

Crawl and creep into the Dread Central forums.

Messiahman's picture

I can already see Rob's take on the material. This time around, the Blob will be comprised of an amorphous mass of inbred, white trash rednecks that become glued together and devour everything in their path... and leave Wal-Marts in their wake.

Submitted by Messiahman on Fri, 08/28/2009 - 8:32pm.

I totally agree. He sucks, I hate his movies and I think he totally butchered Halloween :`(

Submitted by m0nica_09 on Tue, 09/01/2009 - 2:05pm.
AriesofPitt's picture

Get 'er done!! lol

Submitted by AriesofPitt on Fri, 08/28/2009 - 9:14pm.
HELL YEAH!
Sirand's picture

HELL YEAH!

Submitted by Sirand on Fri, 08/28/2009 - 8:33pm.
JoeSena's picture

i'm old enough to remember the first time the blob was remade and we were mighty pissed about it...until we actually saw it. now i can't sit through the original, but i can always watch the remake. same with "the thing".

lighten up, everyone. no-one's curing cancer here. let the man play with the blob and let's see what he does. i, for one, enjoy everything he's done and certainly no slavish fan, but i like his stuff. best of luck to him.

www.spherewerx.com
www.fearwerx.com
www.emcetoys.com
www.warofthedead.com

Submitted by JoeSena on Fri, 08/28/2009 - 8:23pm.
AriesofPitt's picture

I'm curious as to his vision and what he would do. Didn't say I liked the idea, just curious to see something new.

Submitted by AriesofPitt on Fri, 08/28/2009 - 7:53pm.
Shambling_in_Bandages's picture

Something new in a Rob Zombie film? Isn't that a contradiction in terms? ;)

Submitted by Shambling_in_Ba... on Sat, 08/29/2009 - 4:37am.
Mephistopheles's picture

I'm waiting until Rob (at least) makes an announcement on Twitter or his MySpace confirming this is true. The whole thing sounds a bit fishy to me.

Submitted by Mephistopheles on Fri, 08/28/2009 - 4:04pm.
Permafrost's picture

Sounds like bullshit to me.

I'm prepared to give Ringo a spongebath if I'm wrong...

Submitted by Permafrost on Fri, 08/28/2009 - 1:31pm.
RingoJ's picture

I'll get the soap.

Submitted by RingoJ on Fri, 08/28/2009 - 3:37pm.
NeoKefka's picture

Well there goes my hopes for a movie that picks up where the 88 version left off and features a deranged preacher unleashing the Blob on the world in order to kick-start judgement day.

Hopefully nothing will come of this, like the whole C.H.U.D. remake.

Submitted by NeoKefka on Fri, 08/28/2009 - 11:30am.
mycho's picture

Seriously guys. Some one has to stop this.

I've had enough, All we can hope for is that no one watches H2 at the cinema and the ratings are so bad that he doesn't get the chance to make another movie.

I have never hated anyone in my life, but Rob, I'm startin the list just for you buddy

Submitted by mycho on Fri, 08/28/2009 - 11:26am.
Shambling_in_Bandages's picture

Yeah, you definitely missed out the most entertaining bit - a remake of 'The Blob' with 100% less blob. Seriously, it's like Zombie is deliberately fucking with people in the hope that someone will finally snap and give his life-story a music-legend ending akin to John Lennon.

Keep prodding, Rob. Do a remake of 'Jaws' without any shark, you contrary "genius".

Anyone else having an absolute whale of a time with all of today's Zombie-centric idiocy, or is that just me?

Submitted by Shambling_in_Ba... on Fri, 08/28/2009 - 8:44am.
PrairieGhost's picture

He should remake The Birds without The Birds!

Submitted by PrairieGhost on Fri, 08/28/2009 - 7:02am.

I hate you Rob Zombie.
You are an unoriginal hack.
How many classic movies are you going to turn into
white trash bullshit. You have become my REAL Boogy Man.
I hope you rot in hell. The hell your putting real horror
fans through. Did I mention I hate Rob Zombie??

Submitted by evile on Fri, 08/28/2009 - 5:55am.
The Unknown Murderer's picture

I love the tagline that Devin Feraci came up with over at Chud.com:

SHERRI MOON ZOMBIE TO GAIN 400 POUNDS FOR ROB'S REMAKE OF THE BLOB.

That would show true dedication to her craft if she pulled it off.

Submitted by The Unknown Murderer on Fri, 08/28/2009 - 4:39am.
Foywonder's picture

`My intention is not to have a big red blobby thing, that’s the first thing I want to change,' Zombie said. `That gigantic Jello-looking thing might have been scary to audiences in the 1950s, but people would laugh now. I have a totally different take, one that’s pretty dark.'

A remake of The Blob minus the blob? I must confess to being curious as to what exactly he has in mind.

Submitted by Foywonder on Fri, 08/28/2009 - 3:05am.
The Unknown Murderer's picture

I like the part where he says "I’d been looking to break out of the horror genre, and this really is a science fiction movie about a thing from outer space. I intend to make it scary..."

So, he's making another Horror movie.

Anyhow, it might be fun to watch white trash getting devoured by a Blob from outer space. It seems to go together.

In the beginning of the film, Zombie should have some redneck stumble upon the meteor, poke it with his 'stick', then unleash the goo upon the populace when he treks back to town to see a physician at the walk-in clinic.

"Doc, look what I done got stuck to my pecker this time! It burns!"

Submitted by The Unknown Murderer on Fri, 08/28/2009 - 1:39am.

Alien was scary ( to some) but wasn't really a horror movie. The original and first remake of the blob were scary to some people and neither of them were horror. To most of the rest of you , quit being so damned close-minded and grow up.

Submitted by thedarkestshadow on Fri, 08/28/2009 - 5:21am.
The Unknown Murderer's picture

I dunno, it's okay if we all have our differing opinions. That's cool. And I'm definitely going to be open-minded about Halloween II: I'm going to rent it later.

His comment about The Blob though, about how he wants to break away from the horror genre, but he intends to make The Blob scary...well, any film that arouses feelings of horror is technically a horror film.

Horror is an emotion, and if RZ intends to step away from the horror genre, he needs to forget about making a scary movie.

I agree with you that the original Blob film wasn't horror as it seems to be purely sci-fi. Although, some kids in the 50's may have been horrified by some of it.

The Blob remake is most definitely a horror film in my opinion. The waitress getting pulled down the sink? Damn!

And Alien? Definitely horror. Too many horrifying scenes in the film to not be horror, and not 'cerebral' enough to call it just sci-fi. Alien is a horror film set on a spaceship. And if an alien parasite invaded my body and destroyed me on it's way out, I would definitely be horrified!

Submitted by The Unknown Murderer on Fri, 08/28/2009 - 7:08am.
Foywonder's picture

"I have a totally different take, one that’s pretty dark."

Remake... Rob Zombie... That phrase coming out of his mouth... For some reason it gives me the overwhelming urge to slap my forhead and sigh "Ah, crap."

Submitted by Foywonder on Fri, 08/28/2009 - 1:28am.
Didn't See It Coming's picture

Motherfucker. The Blob remake is one of my favourite horror films and I had high hopes for the new one. So much for that. Let me guess, a group of white trash people in a white trash town get invaded by the blob...Which will most likely talk and say "fuck" a lot.

I'd be shocked if he didn't have a mostly white trash character list.

Submitted by Didn't See It Coming on Fri, 08/28/2009 - 1:09am.