Behind the Scenes of George A. Romero's Survival of the Dead

Now that George A. Romero's Survival of the Dead is just a few short weeks away from premiering at film festivals in Venice, Toronto, and Austin, we expect more and more info will begin coming in, and today there's both a behind-the-scenes sneak peek courtesy of MySpace and a new still from Fangoria.

The MySpace video is accompanied by the following note from George himself and a slew of other new pics you can see here.

Hi guys,

Some of you have been asking about the title of my new film. I called it "Survival of the Dead" because it's about a group of people who escape to a place they think is safe - an island where they hope to survive the war between the living and the dead.

That's how the story begins. By the end, something happens that makes the word "survival" take on a whole new meaning. I'm not going to give it away now.

Stay Scared,

George Romero

BTS George Romero Sneak Peek

Below is a slice of the Fango photo; click the image to see the whole thing.

Survival of the Dead Photo

Lastly, if you're on Twitter, you'll want to follow @OfficialRomero to stay up-to-date on all things Dead. Even the filmmakers themselves will chime in about the latest developments in getting the film ready for release. Among the cast and crew who will be posting include actors Alan Van Sprang, Kenneth Welsh, Kathleen Munroe, Devon Bostick, Richard Fitzpatrick and Eric Woolfe; editor Michael Doherty, stunt coordinator Matt Birman, VFX supervisor Colin Davies, SFX makeup creator Francois Dagenais, costume designer Alex Kavanagh, EPK producer Michael Felsher – and George A. Romero himself! Fans will recognize these “official” tweets as they will end with the person’s initials: AVS, KW, KM, DB, RF, EW, MD, MB, CD, FD, AK, MF and of course GAR!

- Debi Moore

See if you can survive a visit to the Dread Central forums!

Lunablix's picture

Can't wait to see this. >:oD

Submitted by Lunablix on Thu, 08/13/2009 - 6:38pm.
moderator For people pre-judging this

For people pre-judging this flick from Land and Diary let me say this ... From the time I spent on set (which was about a week or so) I can honestly say that from the scenes I've watched getting filmed to the dialogue I was privy too "SURVIVAL" is very much in line with Dawn and Day. A lot of the same thematic elements are shared. The confusion, the experimentation, the depth of those films. It's all here. And so is the gore. By the bucketful. I can still taste it.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Thu, 08/13/2009 - 6:26pm.
Didn't See It Coming's picture

After a mediocre Land and a horrible Diary, I have LITTLE hope for this movie being good.

Submitted by Didn't See It Coming on Thu, 08/13/2009 - 6:21pm.

Pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood...

Submitted by The Butcher on Thu, 08/13/2009 - 5:45pm.
moderator Very nice. Steve, the
Sifu Scott's picture

Very nice. Steve, the camera loves you!

Submitted by Sifu Scott on Thu, 08/13/2009 - 5:36pm.
PrairieGhost's picture

Good sneak peek. Can't wait to see the film!

Submitted by PrairieGhost on Thu, 08/13/2009 - 4:21pm.
Choptop67's picture

Looking forward to this film. George is the master. Like Steve said, It's just different when it's one of his films.
I love the use of Escape From New York soundtrack music in this featurette. The Duke would be proud. :)

Submitted by Choptop67 on Thu, 08/13/2009 - 2:50pm.
The Buz's picture

That was the They Live soundtrack I thought?

Submitted by The Buz on Thu, 08/13/2009 - 4:00pm.
moderator Yeah it was used just for

Yeah it was used just for this little bts treat!

Submitted by Steve Barton on Thu, 08/13/2009 - 4:07pm.
moderator Wait until you guys see how

Wait until you guys see how mangled the other side of my head is. They shot me from that angle to save it. In the video you get a taste of the evil that I do. Me as a zombie? In a Romero movie? Believe me when I tell you I was nothing short of savage in my scene(s). Hope I've done you all proud.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Thu, 08/13/2009 - 2:47pm.

I'm still coming to terms with the fact that there's a video of you eating someone out!

Submitted by PelusaMG on Thu, 08/13/2009 - 4:21pm.
moderator You and me both! LOL
Debi Moore's picture

You and me both! LOL

Submitted by Debi Moore on Thu, 08/13/2009 - 4:48pm.

CREEPY!!! Just as I was sitting here wondering if you were going to be in this - THERE YOU ARE! Wonderful stuff... BTW - Are you turning into 'guest zombie'? I can just see it in the credits - actually, what we need is some 70s voice-over to announce you as, "Guest Zombie... Steve Barton" - LOL!

Submitted by PelusaMG on Thu, 08/13/2009 - 2:14pm.
Gus Bjork's picture

Totally! It would be like the start of an episode of Night Gallery!

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Thu, 08/13/2009 - 2:24pm.

You know, I was thinking more of the guy who did the voice-over for "The Streets of San Francisco": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F0wlfmxKdU

Submitted by PelusaMG on Thu, 08/13/2009 - 4:20pm.
moderator I'd comment further but am

I'd comment further but am still in the throes of a massive geek-gasm! HOLY SHIT!

Submitted by Steve Barton on Thu, 08/13/2009 - 2:37pm.
Gus Bjork's picture

I want to be excited for this but after reading the story summary (as well as recalling Diary) I just can't.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Thu, 08/13/2009 - 2:08pm.