Connie Britton Heads to Elm Street

Connie Britton Heads to Elm StreetI have no idea what gives Platinum Dunes the faux confidence to think they can do Wes Craven one better with their upcoming (and woefully unnecessary) redux of A Nightmare on Elm Street, but it's on its way to movie theaters faster than you can say “Friday the 13th sucked!”

In today’s Elm Street update, Variety reports that Connie Britton has joined the cast in the pivotal role of Mrs. Thompson (Marge in the 1984 original, played by Ronee Blakley), Nancy’s mother.

The remake is slated for an April 2010 release date and stars Rooney Mara, Kyle Gallner, and Jackie Earle Haley as the new Freddy Krueger.

What do you think? Is there a chance in hell this will be a worthy addition to the character’s legacy? Or could it dethrone Freddy vs. Jason as Krueger’s most embarrassing hour?

- MattFini

One-up yourself in the Dread Central forums

Floydian Trip's picture

I do think part of the problem was Wes Craven's inability to make a compelling movie, never liked a one. But at the same time I think it's just a weak premise and just can't help but turn out to be cheesy trash no matter who is behind the camera. For a NOES movie to actually be good you'd need a very talented and dark director. These movies always seemed to be made with an audience of children and teenagers who don't know any better in mind. I have no hope that this movie even has a snowballs chance in hell of being any good. But that's just me.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Fri, 05/22/2009 - 4:19pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Yep, I agree about Freddy being nothing but an old, not scary at all, pedophile. I don't think the first movie or any of them for that matter were ever any good. How he became an icon I'll never know. I guess there was a shortage of horror icons and somebody got desperate.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Fri, 05/22/2009 - 2:05pm.

I agree with you FT... Maybe we've become jaded or our horror tastes have changed, but I agree that there really isn't a lot in the Nightmare films that's really scary. I think in #3 when Freddy becomes a snake is pretty creepy, but not really scary. If you pit Freddy up against say the Creeper in the first half of "Jeepers Creepers" or even Victor Crowley in "Hatchet", the former pales against these other 'monsters'. But maybe (as someone said below) the problem is more to do with Craven's film-making ability than with Freddy not being scary (but in saying that I think "Scream" is on the whole a scary movie - no pun intended).

Maybe we all got a little too much Freddy for our own good, and like in Freddy v Jason, people just ain't scared of him anymore. Let's hope PD can inject some real fear into the series, and make us all scared of the boogeyman... if ever we were!!!

Submitted by PelusaMG on Fri, 05/22/2009 - 2:50pm.

this could be a great movie...if the produktion were European

Submitted by vonsvin on Fri, 05/22/2009 - 11:27am.
The Unknown Murderer's picture

Floydian Trip, I fear you may be partially correct...I attempted to watch 'Nightmare' again recently and noticed that when Freddy's chasing Lisa around her dream in the beginning of the film, his behavior reminded me of that red-headed, coon-skin cap-wearing bully Scut Farkus (from A Christmas Story).

Which made me laugh my ass off, and I promptly changed the channel. I guess Freddy was funny even before he started cracking jokes!

That said, I know there are still some scary scenes in the movie. It's just that Freddy himself really doesn't fascinate me like he used to. He's simply a bully and a child molester that deserved to get his ass killed.

Submitted by The Unknown Murderer on Fri, 05/22/2009 - 6:12am.

MILF!!!!!

Even if shes not she is still hot for an older lady

Submitted by Kane86 (not verified) on Fri, 05/22/2009 - 1:04am.
Floydian Trip's picture

Have you watched ANOES lately? Really bad.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Thu, 05/21/2009 - 9:22pm.
moderator Excellent choice -- Connie's
Debi Moore's picture

Excellent choice -- Connie's great! The way the casting is going on this, I'm starting to have a bit more hope as to how the final product is going to turn out.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Thu, 05/21/2009 - 6:16pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Do you really think it'd be difficult to make a movie better than Wes Craven?

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Thu, 05/21/2009 - 5:33pm.
Matt Serafini's picture

It depends. If we're talking about modern day Creven, then maybe. But making a new version of Nightmare that can go toe to toe with the original? Not a chance.

Submitted by Matt Serafini on Thu, 05/21/2009 - 6:35pm.