New Flesh Lives Again in Videodrome Remake

I did a Dread Central April Fool's Day story a few years back touting Paul W.S. Anderson as writing/directing a remake of Videodrome. Today I get to do essentially the same story, only this time the remake is for real, and if nothing else, at least we can take pause in knowing Paul W.S. Anderson will not be involved.

In Hollywood's continuing quest to remake every noteworthy horror picture of the last 35 years, today Variety reports that 1983's Videodrome officially gets its turn on the remake chopping block courtesy of Universal, screenwriter Ehran Kruger (The Ring, The Ring 2, Blood & Chocolate), and his producing partner Daniel Bobker.

The David Cronenberg original was a truly bizarre mindfuck starring James Woods as a seedy TV producer who gets hooked on an underground snuff television program called "Videodrome" that seems to really get inside people's heads, leading to surreal hallucinations that may not entirely be hallucinations at all and a strange conspiracy behind it all.

David Cronenberg has as of yet no involvement in the remake, and I wouldn't be surprised if it stays that way. To recreate Cronenberg's vision of the original seems almost impossible, and from the vague description of what the duo behind the new film have in mind, it sounds like we can expect this to be a dumbed down, far more mainstream take on the concept: "The new picture will modernize the concept, infuse it with the possibilities of nano-technology and blow it up into a large-scale sci-fi action thriller."

Videodrome ... remade ... as a large-scale sci-fi action thriller? The bloody hell? At least in my April Fool's Day story I had Paul W.S. Anderson modernizing it by building it around the age of the Internet and not by trying to turn it into Total Recall with what will most likely end up to be a PG-13 rating.

Forgive me if this news does not make me want to jump up and shout "Long live the new flesh!"

- The Foywonder

Remake yourself in the Dread Central forums!

Leave Cronenberg the fuck alone! In my opinion, Ehren Kruger's writing isn't much better than Paul W.S. Anderson's. Anderson sucks alot harder, but they're both on bottom of the food chain.

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Mon, 04/27/2009 - 4:41pm.
Foywonder's picture

What concerns me most was reading the bit about nanotechnology and sci-fi action. Just gives me a bad feeling the nanobots will become the explanation for their body parts being able to morph into all sorts of weaponry. Visions of a Videodrome remake where a big selling point is guys with instantly morphing gun hands engage in shootouts keeps popping into my head.

Submitted by Foywonder on Mon, 04/27/2009 - 4:07pm.
ImTheMoon's picture

I know, once read "sci-fi action thriller" I got the sinking feeling that the people behind the remake had missed the point of the original film entirely.

Submitted by ImTheMoon on Mon, 04/27/2009 - 4:14pm.
Lunablix's picture

Ugh yet another craptaculour remake. I blame the general audiences for the constant mindless remakes. Most movies are no longer made because a filmmaker has a vision or great idea. Then comes in the general audience because now the film has to be dumb down so people don't have to use their minds to understand the movie. Yes a lot of great movies come out every year but how many shitfests out number them each year and make more money.

Submitted by Lunablix on Mon, 04/27/2009 - 3:26pm.

Boy today has been a barrel full of great news stories.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 04/27/2009 - 1:52pm.

remakes are not an inherently bad thing... though remakes like this make it very difficult for me to hold onto that viewpoint.

they may put out a good sci-fi action movie thing, but there's no way it should be under the title Videodrome. Videodrome was what it was for the very simple reason that it was an original mindfuck.

it was a product of it's time, from the special effects to the betamax video cassettes. there's no way you 'modernize it' technologically speaking... not without turning it into something completely different... and again, not something that should play on screens under the Videodrome name.

Submitted by plagiarize on Mon, 04/27/2009 - 1:21pm.

That's it man, I've had all I can stand.

Stay tuned for a news story about me ending up in a bell tower with a sniper rifle.

Submitted by The Butcher on Mon, 04/27/2009 - 1:04pm.
Blockbuster's picture

One would think that you would end people with a meat cleaver with a name like The Butcher...but that's just me. ;-)

Submitted by Blockbuster on Mon, 04/27/2009 - 2:25pm.

I would hope that he would also name the cuts of meat as he doing that... "I'm going to slice your rib-eye wide open!".

Submitted by PelusaMG on Mon, 04/27/2009 - 2:57pm.
Cartoon Autopsy's picture

This has to be the worst idea ever in the long depressing history of remakes. period. I mean "a large-scale sci-fi action thriller"

What the Fuck!? Have they ever even seen the fucking thing?!

Submitted by Cartoon Autopsy on Mon, 04/27/2009 - 12:34pm.
jonny_numb's picture

With Kelly Clarkson as Nicki Brand.

Submitted by jonny_numb on Mon, 04/27/2009 - 12:28pm.
ImTheMoon's picture

I'm going to go curl in a ball and cry.

Submitted by ImTheMoon on Mon, 04/27/2009 - 12:22pm.
frank_dracman's picture

The fuck indeed. Up next, Eraserhead starring people you don't like and directed by some hack. Where's my cancer gun...

Submitted by frank_dracman on Mon, 04/27/2009 - 10:03am.
Emilie Noetzel's picture

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Not a good news article to start my Monday with...

Submitted by Emilie Noetzel on Mon, 04/27/2009 - 10:00am.
The Unknown Murderer's picture

"Ooh, look. A vagina in my iPod!"

Looks around. Smiles.

"Hee hee!"

Submitted by The Unknown Murderer on Mon, 04/27/2009 - 2:34am.
The fuck?!
Blockbuster's picture

The fuck?!

Submitted by Blockbuster on Mon, 04/27/2009 - 2:19am.