Proyas Weighs in on Crow Remake

Alex Proyas Weighs in on Crow RemakeWhen it was announced a few months ago that Stephen Norrington was going to remake the 1994 film The Crow, fans were pretty vocal concerning their disdain for the project. It's good to know that original Crow director Alex Proyas feels the same way.

Digital Spy caught up with Proyas, and the ever so colorful director had this to say:

"The whole notion of remaking [The Crow], to me, is just ridiculous and I’d have nothing to do with it, as I’ve had nothing to do with any of the sequels or the TV show or any of that stuff. That’s other people involved with that and I wouldn’t even dream of remaking the movie,” he continued, “because as far as I’m concerned, that’s Brandon Lee’s movie and that’s why I finished the movie — in memory of Brandon. That’s the only reason I finished it actually.”

Amen.

Vent away in the Dread Central forums

Alex Proyas's most recent film is the totally batshit insane KNOWING, the most entertaining, unintentionally hilarious filmgoing experiences I've had since THE FOUNTAIN.

I was going to use this as an example of why we shouldn't be worried about what this hack has to say, but, actually, maybe we should. It takes a special kind of insanely inept to create something like KNOWING. I don't even know anymore.

Submitted by mansuave on Wed, 03/25/2009 - 6:04pm.
moderator I dunno...I really liked the
Sifu Scott's picture

I dunno...I really liked the Brandon Lee version. Do we really need a remake of so recent a movie? Do we?

Submitted by Sifu Scott on Wed, 03/25/2009 - 5:27pm.
Didn't See It Coming's picture

I'm all for a remake...If they remain true to the source material. As I've said, I hated the original film.

Submitted by Didn't See It Coming on Wed, 03/25/2009 - 5:24pm.
Lunablix's picture

I don't see the purpose of remaking this movie. But then again I really don't see the purpose in remaking anymore since the majority of the remakes suck.

Submitted by Lunablix on Wed, 03/25/2009 - 5:06pm.
Avid Fan's picture

The J O'Barr Crow comic was quite good, simple vengence from the grave with style and atmosphere. The Crow movie on the other hand I've never warmed up too. It's very, oh, let's just say you could see lots of teeth marks on the film due to massive scene chewing.

Submitted by Avid Fan on Wed, 03/25/2009 - 4:36pm.
Sirand's picture

A more faithful adaptation would be great...

...but let's get real, it ain't gonna happen. No way in hell. So fuck the whole thing.

Submitted by Sirand on Wed, 03/25/2009 - 4:18pm.

My thought exactly. And I seriously doubt Norrington has a more faithful adaptation in mind. Didn't he state he wanted to make it all gritty and hand-held?

Submitted by Caterpillar on Wed, 03/25/2009 - 4:17pm.
Mr. Dark's picture

The Crow is one of my all-time faves. That said, I would love a remake. Well, not a remake, a new take on the original source. The film was dramatically different from J O'Barr's book (which is the best graphic novel EVER, fuck the Watchmen) and today's audience would be able to handle the extremely dark and violent content better than 1994's Crow crowd.

But it'd take a real visionary with enough clout to get this stuff on screen. Stephen Norrington? Oh bloody hell...we'll have Matt Damon as Eric, for God's sake. In tights. Or something.

Mr. Dark
Part-Time Dread Central Gaming Guy
Full-Time Freelance Smartass

Submitted by Mr. Dark on Wed, 03/25/2009 - 4:03pm.