Put the Wrong Subs On, Let The Right One In?

Horror fans? We're rabid. We notice everything sooner or later, and we're certainly not afraid to call someone on their bullshit, and that's exactly what has happened pertaining to Magnolia's English subtitle track on their release of Let the Right One In.

Our brothers in harms at Icons of Fright came across a rather crazy turn of events while watching the home video release of Let The Right One In (review). Most of the film's audio had been subtitled wrong. Below you'll find an example that is just one of many instances of the title's poor translation. Click the image below for the rest.

Put the Wrong Subs On, Let The Right One In?

From the article:

"The subtitles had been drastically changed since the last time I saw it, and dare I say ... had been completely dumbed down? Sure, the basic gist of what the characters were saying was kind of there, but missing completely was the dark humor, subtleties and character nuances which made the movie so powerful and a favorite amongst audiences last year. I tried to carry on and ignore it, hoping that only a few of the translations were off ... but ... I was wrong. Just about the intent of every single line of dialogue was completely off and ruined the movie."

Magnolia has yet to comment on this situation, but why they didn't just use the pre-existing subtitle track that was attached to screeners of the film by Ingrid Eng is a mystery. Major kudos to Rob G. and the gang for bringing this to everyone's attention. If any further digging into the matter is done, we'll let you know.

Dumb things down in the Dread Central forums

admin moderator I dont know about that.
Jon Condit's picture

I dont know about that. There is a subtle menace completely missed in the Magnolia films version.

Then again maybe subtlety really is lost on our audiences.

Submitted by Jon Condit on Fri, 03/27/2009 - 5:24pm.
Cash Bailey's picture

Cheap bastards!

This is a fucking disgrace!!

Submitted by Cash Bailey on Tue, 03/24/2009 - 3:21am.

I don't think the changes are that bad. I mean they still say what the dialogue needs them to say. the meaning of the story is there and the simplification helps keep the flow and pace of them film going.
I wouldn't call it a disgrace at all. Many times a phrase can be translated more than one way and the fact is that sometimes you can't translate everything literally; it would take away from the film, you wouldn't get to see anything but the subtitles.
I did some research and the translations are fine. i don't see a reason to get upset. The film is still good and the experience of watching it is still great. Give it another try and you'll see that it isn't bad at all!

Submitted by Sacha on Fri, 03/27/2009 - 3:56pm.
moderator The thing is ... most of us
Debi Moore's picture

The thing is ... most of us are purists. We want to see what was intended to be conveyed by the filmmaker, not what's just passable and "not that bad".

Submitted by Debi Moore on Fri, 03/27/2009 - 6:15pm.
Cash Bailey's picture

Apparently Magnet will re-issue the film with the revised proper subs. But no exchange program.

I just hope that for us Blu-Ray owners they'll put the new subs in BD-Live for download.

Submitted by Cash Bailey on Wed, 03/25/2009 - 3:21am.
Chainsaw's picture

Why can't we have nice things?!

Submitted by Chainsaw on Tue, 03/24/2009 - 1:38am.
Styling Shatner's picture

What a boondoggle from Magnolia. I have the DVD but I haven't had the chance to watch it in full yet. At least I was able to see it on the big screen...

All that I know is that I have no clue what the English Narrative Subtitle track even does. The regular English Subtitles work, but the bits I had the English Narrative Subtitles on, nothing came on the screen. I found that out last week, so I can't say I'm too surprised that there was this kind of screwup, but it doesn't mean I'm not really disappointed by it.

Submitted by Styling Shatner on Tue, 03/24/2009 - 12:46am.
PrairieGhost's picture

That pisses me off!

Submitted by PrairieGhost on Tue, 03/24/2009 - 12:26am.
HorrorMaven's picture

I'm in the middle of this film now and boy am I glad I was lazy and left it on the dubbed version, which seems to be using the original translation text from the screener.

Submitted by HorrorMaven on Mon, 03/23/2009 - 11:01pm.
moderator Wow, really? Now that is an

Wow, really? Now that is an oddity.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Mon, 03/23/2009 - 11:04pm.

I've been getting emails that the "dubbed" American audio is reading from the original subtitles. So freakin' weird.

The movie deserves it's proper due.

Submitted by robg on Mon, 03/23/2009 - 11:13pm.
Sirand's picture

Glad I didn't pick up the Blue Ray yet. This sucks...

Submitted by Sirand on Mon, 03/23/2009 - 9:36pm.
Tristan Sinns's picture

Holy crap! I'm honestly bummed. I read through the differences and they're sometimes horrible. I was planning on buying the blu-ray.

Maybe there will be a good copy from overseas? :\

Submitted by Tristan Sinns on Mon, 03/23/2009 - 9:02pm.