Finally! Dark Night of the Scarecrow DVD!

Dark Night of the Scarecrow!Now here's some truly great news. Deadpit.com's "Creepy Kentuckian" is reporting that the classic (and largely unseen by today's audiences) 1981 made-for-TV fright flick Dark Night of the Scarecrow is at long last getting the DVD treatment. About damn time!

Dark Night of the Scarecrow is a genuinely creepy horror movie about a mentally handicapped young man (Larry Drake, Dr. Giggles) wrongfully accused of assaulting a young girl in a rural farm community who is then hunted down by a lynch mob led by legendary character actor Charles Durning. The frightened simpleton tries to disguise himself as the scarecrow in his mother's field only to get gunned down in cold blood by the mob. The murderous rednecks then try to cover their tracks by putting a pitchfork in his hands and claiming self defense. They get away with it too until that night someone dressed at that scarecrow begins picking them off one-by-one with that very same pitchfork.

A more effective chiller than most of the more well known slasher flicks of the era, if it had been a theatrical release instead of a TV movie that's been fairly obscure for a quarter century I truly believe Dark Night of the Scarecrow would be widely considered one of the seminal horror films of the Eighties - except maybe amongst gorehounds who'd complain about the lack of blood and guts. Heck, a revenge tale about retards, redneck injustice, and a pitchfork-wielding killer, Rob Zombie would have probably already signed on to direct the remake by now.

VCI Entertainment is planning a special edition DVD release of Dark Night of the Scarecrow to be released around Halloween 2010. Expect to hear more about it as further details begin to emerge.

Now if only we can get The Bermuda Depths its long overdue DVD release.

Our friend RoG from I-Mockery has up a lengthy article on the film to help jolt your memories. Click here to check it out.

- The Foywonder

GET YOURSELF SOMETHING COOL FROM EVILSHOP!
Discuss this article in the Dread Central Forums!

NeoKefka's picture

About time, man! I caught this on cable back in high school and it is one of those movies that just sticks with you. Glad to see it getting a proper release.

Submitted by NeoKefka on Mon, 08/25/2008 - 11:40am.
rotnpumpkin's picture

This is great news. I've loved and shared my bootleg copy for years. I've loved showing it to people who'd never heard of it.

FRIIIIIIIIED CHICKEN!

mine:
oh-the-horror.blogpsot.com
thepumpkinhollow.blogspot.com

his:
pumpkinrot.com

Submitted by rotnpumpkin on Sun, 08/24/2008 - 8:02am.

Wow. Now that's a title that brings up tremor inducing memories from my youth. I believe they used to show this every Halloween for a while in the 80's. Probably a double feature with Devil Dog. The fact that this movie is also coming out on Blu-ray means that we are truly living in a golden age. I will buy it the day it comes out.

Now I have hope again that The Dark Secret of Harvest Home will come out on DVD someday. Anyone old enough to remember that one? I have seen it on a very old VHS tape but they cut it down from its mini-series length for the video release. An uncut version of that Bette Davis shocker on DVD would make me a very happy man.

Submitted by David on Sat, 08/23/2008 - 5:50pm.
Gus Bjork's picture

I think so...but I confuse it with Burnt Offerings.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Sat, 08/23/2008 - 6:16pm.
The Unknown Murderer's picture

Thank God! I recently bought a bootleg copy of the film and it holds up very, very well. The ending gives me the chills just thinking about it...

I'll buy this dvd the first day it's released. It's about time!!!

I need to see the Bermuda Depths, I've never heard of it 'til today!

Submitted by The Unknown Murderer on Sat, 08/23/2008 - 3:55pm.
Chainsaw's picture

God, another VHS cover that haunted me as a kid...

I'm going to have to see this!

Submitted by Chainsaw on Fri, 08/22/2008 - 10:05pm.

you are so true! i LOVE this movie. it's one of the creepiest films i've seen (and yes, i am horror movie fan and i've seen a lot! LOL). this movie hold up well even today as a atmospheric and genuinely creepy/scary movie! and The Foywonder, i LOVED the Bermuda Depths as a kid. i can't believe you mention that movie! i was starting to think i was crazy and i imagined that i saw it because NOONE i know has ever heard of it, let alone seen it.
right on, my friend! :)

Submitted by djblack1313 on Fri, 08/22/2008 - 7:47pm.
Foywonder's picture

The Bermuda Depths...

Can't believe I mentioned The Bermuda Depths, huh? Might want to have a look at this: http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/from-here-obscurity-bermuda-depths-1978

Submitted by Foywonder on Fri, 08/22/2008 - 9:12pm.
Gus Bjork's picture

It's nice to see Bermuda Depths get some lovin'. The last image of Carl Weathers fate has stuck with me for decades since.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Fri, 08/22/2008 - 11:25pm.
Gus Bjork's picture

This is good news.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Fri, 08/22/2008 - 7:12pm.

Can't fucking wait.

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 08/22/2008 - 5:00pm.