H.P. Lovecraft cooked up a lot of fictional books in his time, like the Book of Eibon and the Pnakotic Manuscripts. But none are as infamous as the Necronomicon. And yes, The Necronomnomnom is the pun come-to-life we’ve all been waiting for.
The brainchild of Red Duke Games’ Mike Slater and Thomas Roache, this Lovecraft-inspired cookbook had initially been pitched as an audio book, until the two realized, “You never read the evil spellbook out loud!”
“I knew instinctively that the name alone would gather chuckles and interest among a large subculture of literature geeks, movie fans, and gamers,” said Slater. “That’s where it started—at the intersection of early 20th century horror literature… and an internet meme.”
It looks exactly like what you’d expect from an eldritch grimoire; The book won’t be bound in human skin, but close enough—the deluxe version’s handcrafted latex hardcover, designed by David Pirkle, is an eerie recreation of the Book of the Dead. Its pun-filled pages, more closely resembling summoning spells than recipes, will feature original art rendered in typical Lovecraftian fashion by illustrator Kurt Komoda. The accompanying recipes are full of nods to Lovecraft’s work, including Deep fried Deep Ones, At the Fountains of Madness, and Mounds of Tindalos—not to mention Slater’s favorites, Elder Thing Parmesan, The Sandwich Horror, and Shaken, Not Hastur.
The campaign had quickly reached its crowdfunding goal $27,500, but that only leaves time for more treats for its backers before production starts next year. One stretch goal in the pipeline is a premium cover for The Necronomnomnom, which would include extra padding and rounded binding. “Other goals will first relate to expanding the book itself. More recipes, more pages, more art,” says Slater.
The Necronomnomnom will be available in both digital and hardcover formats. You can check out its Kickstarter campaign here.
- The One and Only One you might've missed was PREDATOR Vs. MAGNUS:ROBOT FIGHTER from 1993 that Dark Horse did with Valiant Comics. Fun two issue mini having Magnus fight a Predator in the Mile Spires of the 41st...
- Jason Pankoke RIP the "Hollywood" R/Greenberg. He went to school and taught at the University of Illinois where I live before moving to NYC and starting his first design firm. I have a souvenir book of an exhibit...
- virgo02 I really liked the movie when it came out and I still do. I just watched it the other day. I still can't believe they took away the sibling part of the movie. That too me made it more suspenseful. The...
- Nick Greeley Nice clickbait. It’s OLD news that H20 started as a passion project for her, but everything fell apart when Carpenter and Hill didn’t come back, and Moustapha Akkad refused to let the writers kill...
- Mackey Would be awesome if Amazon or Netflix could save "The Exorcist" too
Join the Box of Dread Mailing List
Rest in Peace: Director and Title Designer Richard Alan Greenberg Passes Away at 71
Popcorn Frights 2018: World Premiere of First English-Language Cuban Horror Film Leads the First Wave
Marketing Magic: John McTiernan’s PREDATOR
E3 2018: Massive Photo Gallery Recap
Dark Horse and Netflix Announce STRANGER THINGS Comic Books!
Bill Skarsgard on Stephen King’s IT: CHAPTER 2’s Adult Cast
Hollywood Science Fiction Museum Founder Arrested on Child Pornography Charges
5 Zombie Films That Flipped The Script
Gender Bashing: Manly Spectacle in PREDATOR
New Stephen King Movie TRAPPED Announced by Richard Chizmar
Exclusive: This PREACHER Clip Ramps up the Spice!
E3 2018: BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL 2 Giving the Fans a Chance to Create
HEREDITARY – Interview with Writer-Director Ari Aster and the Cast
THE MIMIC – Exclusive Clip Introduces Us to The Girl
Dinosaurs Make Lousy Organ Donors in the TRIASSIC WORLD Trailer
Editorials5 days ago
Let’s Explain the Ending to HEREDITARY
News2 days ago
Remember CASTLEVANIA II: SIMON’S QUEST’s Controversial Nintendo Power Cover?
News5 days ago
FRIDAY THE 13TH Meets MEAN GIRLS in FAT CAMP MASSACRE
News4 days ago
Jamie Lee Curtis Did HALLOWEEN: H20 For the Paycheck
News5 days ago
Netflix Steps in to #SaveLUCIFER
Reviews6 days ago
HELL’S KITTY Review – This Little Feline Sure Ain’t No Pu**y!
News6 days ago
Sid Haig Celebrates HANUKKAH
News3 days ago
Rob Zombie Says “Sh*t Gets Crazy!” in 3 FROM HELL