Today at the BlizzCon gaming convention in Anaheim, CA, lots of news was revealed regarding the upcoming feature film Warcraft, an adaptation of the World of Warcraft video game being directed by Duncan Jones. Read on for updates on which characters we’ll be seeing in the movie and lots more!
From the Press Release:
Legendary Pictures, Atlas Entertainment, Blizzard Entertainment, and distribution partner Universal Pictures held a panel at BlizzCon today for Warcraft fans in support of the feature film that will appear in theaters on March 11, 2016. The panel marks Warcraft director Duncan Jones’ second appearance at the show, honoring his promise to “show a lot more next year” at BlizzCon 2013. Legendary held its first movie panel at BlizzCon in 2007, when producers Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni discussed the initial plans for bringing Blizzard’s world to the big screen, and today’s panel continues that tradition of giving the dedicated Warcraft fans first access to information and images related to the film.
Panelists included Duncan Jones, the director behind the award-winning sci-fi film Moon (2009) and Source Code (2011); Chris Metzen, Senior Vice President of Story and Franchise Development for Blizzard Entertainment, Bill Westenhofer, the BAFTA and Academy Award®-winning VFX supervisor behind films such as The Life of Pi, and actor Rob Kazinsky (Pacific Rim, “True Blood”), whose character Orgrim was revealed today along with the names of the other characters that each member of the film’s principal cast will play.
Until now the specific characters that the film’s principal cast are playing have been kept under wraps. Today the characters were announced, divided between “Alliance” and “Horde” – the two opposing armies recognized by Warcraft fans across the world.
Legendary also announced a new initiative, inviting fans to join the frontline of the film. By signing up at FIGHTFORTHEALLIANCE.COM or FIGHTFORTHEHORDE.COM, fans can celebrate their allegiance and receive regular updates on the movie from the perspective of their chosen side.
- Anduin Lothar (Travis Fimmel) – The lead protagonist for the Alliance, Lothar is a war hero who has sacrificed everything to keep the people of Azeroth safe.
- King Llane Wrynn (Dominic Cooper) – King Llane is the leader of the Alliance city of Stormwind and a beacon of hope to its people in a time of darkness.
- Medivh (Ben Foster) – Known as “The Guardian,” Medivh is a mysterious and reclusive protector who wields formidable power.
- Khadgar (Ben Schnetzer) – Khadgar is a gifted young mage, embarking on a daring search for the truth.
- Lady Taria (Ruth Negga) – Taria is the royal Queen of Stormwind, King Llane’s great love and most trusted counsel.
- Garona (Paula Patton) – Caught between the Alliance and the Horde, Garona is a strong-willed survivor who must decide where her true loyalty lies.
- Durotan (Toby Kebbel) – The lead protagonist for the Horde, Durotan is the noble Chieftain of the Frostwolf Clan, battling to save his people and his family from extinction.
- Orgrim (Rob Kazinsky) – Orgrim is Durotan’s right hand and a brave warrior destined to wield the Doomhammer: a weapon of Orc legend.
- Blackhand (Clancy Brown) – Known as “The Destroyer,” Blackhand is one of Orc-kind’s most fearsome and titanic warchiefs.
- Gul’dan (Daniel Wu) – Gul’dan is a supreme Orc ruler, fueled by a dark magic that even he cannot control.