13 of the Most Terrifying Jump Scares in Horror Movie History
Love them or hate them, jump scares are an integral part of horror movies. Those of us well-versed in the genre can see them coming a mile away. But not all jump scares are cheap and easy; some are artistic, intelligent, and downright amazing. My personal favorite is the end of Brian De Palma’s Carrie!
Our friends at WhatCulture have just released a video countdown of what they believe are the best jump scares in all of horror history. It’s a fun watch, even if it’s impossible to make such a short list from so many incredible examples; Carrie doesn’t make the list, but some of your favorites might.
Give it a spin at the top of the article but, be warned: There are tons of spoilers. If you’d rather know which films are on the list before watching (or simply want to cut to the chase), you can read their selections below. I’ve included brief summaries that, out of context, won’t spoil a thing!
- Alien: The Xenomorph surprises Dallas;
- Jaws: “You’re gonna need a bigger boat” appearance;
- The Thing: The blood test;
- It Follows: The tall man emerges;
- The Ring: “I saw her face” reveal;
- The Conjuring 2: The painting of Valak;
- Paranormal Activity 2: The kitchen explodes;
- Sinister: The “Lawn Work” film;
- Insidious: The red-faced demon appears;
- The Exorcist III: Head removal;
- The Conjuring: Playing “Hide and Clap”;
- Friday the 13th: Jason in the Lake; and
- Signs: Birthday Party.