We’re less than two months shy of Halloween, and the with the scary season kicking off in September, there’s a chill in the air that’s like Eve Christmas for horror fans! In addition to haunts and immersive attractions popping up around the world and hotly-anticipated films hitting theaters, it’s a wonderful time to be alive. Something else genre fans will want to keep their eyes peeled for is Scream Factory’s collector’s edition re-release of Michael Dougherty’s seminal anthology, Trick ‘r Treat!
Released in 2007 when it was unceremoniously dumped straight-to-DVD, Trick ‘r Treat has gone on to become a Halloween staple and one of the most lauded anthology flicks of the 21st Century. The diminutive imp Sam, the film’s mascot if you will, has become a horror icon at the highest echelon. Scream Factor’s collector’s edition will hit online and brick-and-mortar retailers on October 9th. Here’s the official announcement along with all the gory good details:
A creepy, darkly comic celebration of the scariest night of the year from writer-director Michael Dougherty (Krampus, Godzilla: King of The Monsters), Trick ‘r Treat stars Dylan Baker (Homeland, The Americans), Rochelle Aytes (Designated Survivor, Mistresses) with Anna Paquin (X-Men, True Blood) and Brian Cox (Succession, X2). The film takes the Creepshow and Tales from the Crypt approach to nefarious new depths with four interwoven tales set on Halloween night. A high school principal (Dylan Baker) moonlights as a vicious serial killer; the quest of a young virgin (Anna Paquin) for that special someone takes a gruesome turn; a group of teens carries out a cruel prank with disastrous consequences; and a cantankerous old man (Brian Cox) battles a mischievous trick-or-treating demon. On October 9, 2018, SCREAM FACTORY™ is proud to unleash Trick ‘r Treat Collector’s Edition Blu-ray. A must-have for movie collectors and horror enthusiasts, this definition collector’s edition contains new 2K scan of the film, new interviews with Michael Dougherty and crew, new special featurettes, and much more! Pre-order is available now at ShoutFactory.com.
- NEW 2K Scan of the original film elements supervised and approved by director Michael Dougherty
- NEW Tales of Folklore & Fright: Creating Trick ‘r Treat– including interviews with writer/director Michael Dougherty, conceptual artist Breehn Burns, and storyboard artist Simeon Wilkins.
- NEW Tales of Mischief & Mayhem: Filming Trick ‘r Treat– in-depth interview with Michael Dougherty on the making of the film
- NEW Sounds of Shock & Superstition: Scoring Trick ‘r Treat– including interviews with Michael Dougherty and composer Douglas Pipes
- NEW Tales of Dread and Despair: Releasing Trick ‘r Treat– a look at the release and fandom with Michael Dougherty and writer Rob Galluzzo
- Season’s Greetings– NEW 2K scan of the original 16mm elements – a short film by Michael Dougherty with optional commentary by Dougherty
- NEW Storyboard and Conceptual Artwork Gallery
- NEW Behind the Scenes Still Gallery
- NEW Monster Mash– a story from the TRICK ‘R TREAT graphic novel
- NEW com Shorts
- Audio Commentary with director Michael Dougherty
- Trick ‘R Treat: The Lore and Legends of Halloween featurette
- Deleted and Alternate Scenes with optional commentary by director Michael Dougherty
- School Bus FX Comparison
- Theatrical Trailer
If you’re unfamiliar with the phenomenon that its Trick ‘r Treat, you can give the trailer and synopsis a spin below.
Interwoven stories demonstrate that some traditions are best not forgotten as the residents (Anna Paquin, Brian Cox, Dylan Baker) of a small-town face real ghosts and goblins on Halloween. Tales of terror reveal the consequences of extinguishing a Jack-o-Lantern before midnight and a grumpy hermit’s encounter with a sinister trick-or-treater.
Are you a fan of Michael Dougherty’s Trick ‘r Treat? Are you excited about Scream Factory’s upcoming collector’s edition? Let us know what you think in the comments below (or on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram)!