Arrow Video has unveiled its release plans as well as pre-order links for all the films the company has coming out in August. For horror fans, they’ve got Re-Animator, The Slayer, and Society, each of which is detailed below.
Additionally, for non-horror fans, they’ve got Ronin, Erik the Conqueror, and New Battles Without Honor & Humanity.
Pre-order Re-Animator – Out August 8th
Pre-order Ronin – Out August 29th
Pre-order The Slayer – Out August 29th
Pre-order New Battles Without Honor & Humanity – Out August 29th
Pre-order Erik the Conqueror – Out August 29th
Pre-order Society – Out August 29th
One of the most wildly popular horror movies of all-time, Stuart Gordon’s enduring splatter-comedy classic Re-Animator returns to Blu-ray in a stunning restoration packed with special features!
When medical student Dean Cain advertises for a roommate, he soon finds one in the form of Dr. Herbert West. Initially a little eccentric, it some becomes clear that West entertains some seriously outlandish theories – specifically, the possibility of re-animating the dead. It’s not long before Dean finds himself under West’s influence, and embroiled in a serious of ghoulish experiments which threaten to go wildly out of control…
Based on H.P. Lovecraft’s classic terror tale Herbert West – Reanimator and featuring a standout performance from Jeffrey Combs as the deliciously deranged West, Re-Animator remains the ground-zero of ’80s splatter mayhem and one of the genre’s finest hours.
– 4K restorations of the Unrated and Integral versions of the film
– High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
– Original Stereo 2.0 and 5.1 Audio
– Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
– Digipak packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by Justin Erickson
– Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by writer Michael Gingold
– Re-Animator – the original 1991 comic book adaptation, reprinted in its entirety
Disc 1 – Unrated Version
– Unrated version [86 mins]
– Audio commentary with director Stuart Gordon
– Audio commentary with producer Brian Yuzna, actors Jeffrey Combs, Barbara Crampton, Bruce Abbott, and Robert Sampson
– Re-Animator Resurrectus – documentary on the making of the film, featuring extensive interviews with cast and crew
– Interview with director Stuart Gordon and producer Brian Yuzna
– Interview with writer Dennis Paoli
– Interview with composer Richard Band
– Music Discussion with composer Richard Band
– Interview with former Fangoria editor Tony Timpone
– Barbara Crampton In Conversation -the Re-Animator star sits down with journalist Alan Jones for this career-spanning discussion
– Deleted and Extended Scenes
– Trailer & TV Spots
Disc 2 – Integral Version – Limited Edition Exclusive
– Integral version [105 mins]
– A Guide to Lovecraftian Cinema – brand new featurette looking at the many various cinematic incarnations of writer H.P. Lovecraft’s work
One of the most sought-after titles for slasher fans everywhere, The Slayer finally rises from the ashes of obscurity in a brand new 4K transfer courtesy of Arrow Video.
Two young couples set off to a secluded island for what promises to be a restful retreat. But the peace is short-lived: as a storm batters the island, troubled artist Kay begins to sense that a malevolent presence is here with them, stalking them at every turn. Is she losing her mind, or are her childhood nightmares of a demonic assailant coming to terrifying life?
Previously only available on home video in truncated or full screen versions, The Slayer – whose nightmares-seeping-into-reality theme predates a certain Wes Craven classic by several years – comes lovingly restored from the original negative in a stunning transfer that will be a revelation to fans both old and new.
DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
– Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original camera negative
– High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
– Original Mono Audio (Uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
– Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
– Audio Commentary with writer/director J.S. Cardone, actress Carol Kottenbrook and executive in charge of production Eric Weston, moderated by Ewan Cant
– Audio Commentary with The Hysteria Continues
– Isolated Score Selections and Audio Interview with Composer Robert Folk
– Nightmare Island: The Making of The Slayer – documentary featuring interviews with J.S. Cardone, Carol Kottenbrook, Eric Weston, producer William Ewing, director of photography Karen Grossman, camera operator/2nd Unit DOP/still photographer Arledge Armenaki, special creature and make-up effects ceator Robert Short and “Slayer” performer Carl Kraines
– Return to Tybee: The Locations of The Slayer – featurette revisiting the shooting locations on Tybee Island, Georgia
– The Tybee Post Theater Experience – join the audience of the Tybee Post Theater (one of the film’s key locations) for this very special home-town screening of The Slayer! Includes event introduction, feature-length audience reaction track and post screening Q&A with Arledge Armenaki and Ewan Cant
– Still Gallery
– Original Theatrical Trailer
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector’s booklet featuring new liner notes by writer Lee Gambin
After producing Stuart Gordon’s hit Re-Animator, Brian Yuzna (Bride of Re-Animator, Return of the Living Dead III) turned his hand to directing with 1989’s Society, and gave birth to one of the ickiest, most original body horror shockers of all time.
Teenager Bill Whitney (Billy Warlock) has always felt like the odd one out in his wealthy, upper-class Beverly Hills family. For some reason, he just doesn’t seem to fit in. But his sense of alienation takes a sinister turn when he hears an audio recording of his sister’s coming-out party, which seems to implicate his family and others in a bizarre, ritualistic orgy. And then there are the strange things he’s been seeing – glimpses of people with their bodies contorted impossibly out of shape… Is Bill going mad or is there something seriously amiss in his neighborhood?
Packing stomach-churning grue and thought-provoking social commentary in equal measure, Society is a biting horror satire which culminates in one of the most gag-inducing “climaxes”‘ in all of horror history.
– Newly remastered 2K digital transfer of the film, approved by director Brian Yuzna
– High Definition Blu-ray (1080p)
– Original Stereo 2.0 audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
– Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
– Brand new audio commentary by Yuzna
– Governor of Society – a brand new interview with Yuzna
– The Masters of the Hunt – a brand new featurette including interviews with stars Billy Warlock, Devin DeVasquez, Ben Meyerson and Tim Bartell
– The Champion of the Shunt – new featurette with FX artists Screaming Mad George, David Grasso and Nick Benson
– 2014 Q&A with Yuzna, recorded at Celluloid Screams Festival
– Brian Yuzna in conversation backstage at the Society world premiere
– Persecution Mania – Screaming Mad George music video
– Collectors booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic Alan Jones, illustrated with original archive stills and posters.