We’ve been waiting for it, and on September 20, it finally arrives. As we reported a couple weeks back, Scream Factory is at long last bringing John Carpenter’s The Thing to Blu-ray, which has been one of their most requested releases these last several years. Today brings all the details, so get ready to bust out that credit card.
And yes, this baby is LOADED with brand new special features!
From the Press Release:
In 1982 legendary genre filmmaker John Carpenter (Halloween, They Live) unleashed THE THING–a chilling sci-fi thriller that raised the bar on shocking special effects and terrified movie audiences worldwide. On September 20, 2016, the SCREAM FACTORY™ home entertainment brand is proud to present this landmark horror film in a 2-disc Collector’s Edition Blu-ray release which includes a brand new 2K scan of the film (supervised by Director of Photography Dean Cundey) and over 5 hours of extras.
Directed by Carpenter, THE THING stars Kurt Russell (Escape from New York, Big Trouble in Little China) and features special visual effects by Albert Whitlock (Dune) and special makeup effects by Rob Bottin (The Howling, Fight Club). This definitive set includes a collectible slipcover featuring newly rendered artwork and a reversible cover wrap featuring original theatrical key art. A must-have for movie collectors, sci-fi horror enthusiasts and loyal fans, THE THING Collector’s Edition Blu-ray set is available for pre-order now at ShoutFactory.com and will be made available to other fine retailers.
- NEW 2K scan of the Inter-positive supervised and approved by director of photography Dean Cundey
- NEW 4.1 created from the original 70MM Six Track Dolby Stereo soundtrack
- NEW Audio Commentary with director of photography Dean Cundey
- NEW The Men of Outpost 31 – interviews with Keith David, Thomas Waites, Peter Maloney and more…
- NEW Assembling and Assimilation – an interview with editor Todd Ramsay
- NEW Behind the Chameleon – interviews with visual effects artists Peter Kuran and Susan Turner, special make-up effects artist Rob Burman and Brian Wade and more….
- NEW Sounds from the Cold – interviews with supervising sound editor David Lewis Yewdall and special sound effects designer Alan Howarth
- NEW Between the Lines – an interview with novelization author Alan Dean Foster
- Audio Commentary by director John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell
- John Carpenter’s The Thing: Terror Takes Shape – a documentary on the making of THE THING featuring interviews with John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, special effects make-up designer Rob Bottin, legendary matte artist Albert Whitlock plus members of the cast and crew (80 minutes – SD)
- Outtakes (5 minutes – SD)
- Vintage featurettes from the electronic press kit featuring interviews with John Carpenter, Kurt Russell and Rob Bottin (12 minutes – SD)
- Vintage featurettes – The Making of a Chilling Tale and The Making of THE THING (1982 – 14 minutes – SD)
- Vintage Product Reel – contains a promotional condensed version of the film with additional footage not in the film (19 minutes – SD)
- Vintage Behind-the-Scenes footage (2 minutes – SD)
- Annotated Production Archive – Production Art and Storyboards, Location Scouting, Special Make-up Effects, Post Production (48 minutes – SD)
- Network TV Broadcast version of THE THING (92 minutes – SD)
- Teaser Trailer
- Theatrical Trailers (U.S. and German Trailer)
- TV spots
- Radio Spots
- Still Gallery (behind-the-scenes photos, posters and lobby cards)
Head over to Scream Factory’s website to purchase the Standard or Deluxe version of The Thing on Blu-ray – the latter includes a bonus slipcover, a second 18″ x 24″ poster, and will ship out three weeks earlier than the national street date!