New Hellraiser TV Series in the Works

Here's an interesting tidbit buried in a story over on Variety (thanks to DC reader Jinx for pointing it out)! Apparently there's a TV show in the works based upon the hellish antics of everyone's favorite Cenobites and their unlucky puzzle box.

After bankruptcy and the departure of its founder, RHI Entertainment has rebranded as Sonar Entertainment and tapped Stewart Till as chief executive.

The move, announced Saturday at the MipTV market in Cannes, comes as Sonar tries to expand the scope of its production-distribution business beyond the made-fors that had been the forte of company founder Robert Halmi Sr.

Halmi exited Gotham-based RHI in February. His son, Robert Halmi Jr., ankled as CEO last July, when Till was tapped as co-interim CEO along with Mike Corrigan and David Salzman.

"Rebranding as Sonar Entertainment represents a fresh start and a solid business strategy for growth and expansion," said Sonar chairman Gabriel de Alba. "While we are committed to maintaining the same high level of quality that has always been an RHI trademark, we are also looking ahead to developing new concepts, content and formats, in different genres and with a variety of partners."

"We managed to stabilize the company and we have been exceeding our sales numbers -- that has helped regenerate additional cash," said de Alba. "In the past we were working with an annual $40 million credit line and we're happy to announce that we've secured an additional $50 million on top of our $40 million line to keep up with the volume of our productions that are ramping up so fast."

The extra $50 million were raised from a group of investors led by Catalyst Group Inc..

Till is a veteran of the international film distribution world who was most recently chairman of Icon U.K. He ran Universal Intl. Pictures from 2002-2006, and he served a stint as chairman of the U.K. Film Council.

"I've spent more time in film than in television, and I see that a lot of values of film, which are great writers, great directors, are becoming more and more relevant in television," said Till.

Sonar is co-developing with Eric Gardner's Panacea Ent. "Hellraiser," a TV series based on the cult British horror franchise. Gardner will exec produce along with Larry Kuppin, whose company New World Entertainment is behind the first two "Hellraiser" films.

Among the other new programs Sonar is touting at the market is an action-drama series, "MPH," penned by Steven De Souza, and an eight-hour "King Tut" miniseries to be developed and produced with Muse Entertainment. Also in the works is a two-hour backdoor pilot inspired by the graphic novel "Mirror Mirror" by Joshua Williamson.

"The gap between an O.K. show and a great show is getting bigger and bigger and our obsession going forward will be to find high quality shows that people really want," Till told Variety. "If you look at our slate, you'll see shows that have either a great brand name like 'King Tut' or 'Hellraiser' that arrive with a recognition, a build-in marketing platform and/or a great writer like 'MPH' with Steven E. De Souza."

Till said Sonar Ent. could put up deficit financing for select projects.

Added Till, "We'll be announcing more high profile shows in a month or two."

After reading the above we did a little footwork and came up with the first teaser art and synopsis for the show. Check that out below.

Synopsis
One of the most successful (and terrifying) franchises in film history is ready for its weekly television debut.

For over 25 years, fans have followed the exploits of an insidious villain named Pinhead, summoned from a nightmarish underworld by an ancient puzzle box. He will seduce you with power and tempt you with fear, until your soul belongs to him.

Now, for the first time, a weekly series set in the fantastic realm of Hellraiser will thrill audiences worldwide.

New Hellraiser TV Series in the Works

Raise hell in the comments section below!

Source: Variety

James Coker's picture

allright ill see Inferno because you LifeMi, suggest it and ill see HellSeeker simply because of all the Love Cinemascribe is giving to it

Submitted by James Coker on Thu, 04/05/2012 - 5:34pm.
James Coker's picture

I absolutely LOVE the first two Hellraisers, The first one is my third Favorite Horror film of all time. I hated Hell on Earth and there were a few aspects of the Bloodlines that I liked but was generally disappointed in it.
have never seen any of the Hellraisers after the fourth one.
any of them worth checking out?

Submitted by James Coker on Thu, 04/05/2012 - 3:08pm.
LifeMi's picture

James, Inferno is actually a decent film, but suffers from an unlikeable lead and a semi-nonsensical plot. Unless you feel the need to skullfuck your brain, don't waste your time on anything beyond it.

Submitted by LifeMi on Thu, 04/05/2012 - 3:48pm.
Cinemascribe's picture

I'd like to see them go back to Barker's "The Hellbound Heart" novella for inspiration and not merely the films. There was an implication at the end of the book that there are potentially boxes out there capable of opening up doors to worlds that are as light as the Cenobite's universe is dark. Focus more on this scattered series of varied puzzle boxes circulating out there in the world which can unexpectedly open the barrier between this dimension and the next for certain people and less on the familiar "Someone opens the box and Pinhead and crew pop up and tear their soul apart" premise, which would get really old really fast. Maybe they could create an anthology series, where every episode centers around someone who has an experience with the Lament Configuration or one of its brother or sister boxes. The stories could range from something more fantasy driven with a more ethereal tone to dark and disturbing. I'm not even saying they shouldn't include Pinhead or (at the very least) the Cenobites in some form from time to time..but if that's all it is, there's no way they can sustain that. They weren't even able to passably make the concept work past Hellseeker (Yes. I enjoyed Hellseeker. DON'T JUDGE ME!).

Submitted by Cinemascribe on Wed, 04/04/2012 - 12:23am.
LifeMi's picture

I'm still processing the fact that you enjoyed Hellseeker. At least you didn't like Deader, or else you and I would be going to war right now.

Submitted by LifeMi on Wed, 04/04/2012 - 12:41am.
Cinemascribe's picture

To be honest, I love the first two (Hellbound is still my personal favorite) , was divided on Hell on Earth( some stuff worked, some stuff didn't), I flat-out didn't like Bloodline and thought Inferno was "meh" (a decent cast and some eerie sequences helped make up a bit for what was an otherwise fairly mundane film) .

So I was somewhat surprised to find that that I enjoyed Hellseeker. It was fun to see Kirsty Cotton again and I enjoyed the weird mystery that the amnesiac had going on around him. Yeah, I kind of saw the ending coming, but I was still entertained. I also knowthat I am far and away not the only person who has expressed their enjoyment of Hellseeker. So, actually, feel free to judge away. I doubt I'll be getting rid of my copy anytime soon.:)

Beyond Hellseeker, I only managed to watch part of the one about the video game and that was so dreadful that it put me off of ever finishing the film or going anywhere near the other late entry sequels. In that spirit, I actively avoided seeing that one they released on the quick without Doug Bradley a year or so ago.

Submitted by Cinemascribe on Wed, 04/04/2012 - 1:08am.
LifeMi's picture

Honestly, I don't think any of the Hellraisers are great; even the first one, though very good, has some big flaws. I kinda liked Hellbound and Inferno, found Hell on Earth and Bloodline decent and have passionately hated everything else.

Submitted by LifeMi on Wed, 04/04/2012 - 11:13am.
LifeMi's picture

Has everyone suddenly forgotten that Dimension and the Weinsteins still own Hellraiser? As long as they have it, nothing good will come of this franchise.

Submitted by LifeMi on Tue, 04/03/2012 - 10:35am.

Larry Kuppin owns the Hellraiser TV and video game rights. He sold the movie rights to Dimension during the production of Hell on Earth, which he set in a night club so the film could feature a band he was managing.

Ever since the mid 90's we hear about a video game or TV show every few years. Nothing ever comes of it. Doesn't anyone remember his last attempt? It was a TV show that featured Pinhead teaming up with a Bill Gates type computer billionaire. It sounded like a terrible idea, but it was probably thought up so they could put out a video game along with it if they got money to develop the show.

Submitted by David on Tue, 04/03/2012 - 11:22am.

I always thought that this would work as serial mini series.

Submitted by will graham on Tue, 04/03/2012 - 6:29am.
elric300's picture

Do not the Weinsteins own the Hellraiser name,etc.

This sounds like some kind of April Fool's joke.

Submitted by elric300 on Tue, 04/03/2012 - 5:11am.

This has the potential to be awesome. Anyone who has read any of the Hellraiser comic series from Epic knows that there is a whole lot that can be done with this series. There are some truly awesome stories in that series that would be great adapted to the screen. I especially loved one about an asylum where the building itself was a LeMarchand puzzle, and traversing the halls just right would open the door. I'd love to see this series take a more episodic approach, rather than a serial.

Submitted by hegemon13 on Mon, 04/02/2012 - 10:38pm.
James Coker's picture

dont be so quick to Judge everyone, if done right this could be a great show

Submitted by James Coker on Mon, 04/02/2012 - 9:32pm.

It'll be a boring show. For one thing we're told in the original the box is hard to find and sometimes takes years to solve. And the entire puzzle is based around sexual pleasure and sadism, so I wonder what the premise would actually surround. Ugh.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 04/02/2012 - 8:46pm.
LifeMi's picture

Just when you thought it was safe to tune into horror television :)

Submitted by LifeMi on Mon, 04/02/2012 - 8:15pm.