The Walking Dead Consume Writers! No Staff Necessary for Season 2?

In a seemingly inexplicable move, the writing staff for AMC's "The Walking Dead" has been let go despite the show's killer ratings. I guess just like with the comic upon which it is based, you can truly expect the unexpected when it comes to "The Walking Dead".

According to Deadline Hollywood executive producer/director Frank Darabont has released all the writers from the hot freshman AMC series, which has already been renewed for a second season. That includes Darabont's number two, writing executive producer Charles “Chic” Eglee.

Furthermore, Deadline also reports that Darabont is looking to forgo having a writing staff for the second season of "The Walking Dead" altogether, preferring instead to assign scripts to freelancers, which could result in some issues with the Writers Guild.

Well, one thing is for certain - Darabont and company have a lot of time to sort things out as AMC is looking to launch Season 2 almost a year from now, next October.

We wouldn't be too alarmed by this shift. It's pretty common for shows to switch writers from season to season, but the whole staff? That's a bit unusual. Oh, Frank. You move in mysterious ways, but lord knows we trust in you!

The Walking Dead Consume Writers! No Staff Necessary for Season 2?

Walk with the dead in the comments section below!

James Coker's picture

I predict that darabont will make Merle be the Governor for the next season

Submitted by James Coker on Thu, 12/02/2010 - 2:28am.
Sirand's picture

So many people getting in a tizzy over this, but I don't care one way or the other. Unless you're actively involved with the production, there's no telling how things went down and whether this is a good or bad thing.

Darabont has yet to let me down and his episodes remain the best, so unless he does something really crazy and fire Robert Kirkman, my alarm won't go off.

And I love how Terminal claims Rooker is "unnecessary" after one episode (unless he has a magic crystal ball and can see ahead into Season 2).

Submitted by Sirand on Wed, 12/01/2010 - 4:56pm.

Bwahaha, yeah, he's totally unnecessary to the entire first season. Did you read my response correctly? I said he was the most unnecessary of the first season. Yeah, he really was, regardless of who here knows him personally.

A one dimensional character in a gallery of complex individuals.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 12/01/2010 - 4:59pm.
Sirand's picture

"he's totally unnecessary to the entire first season"

Please explain how he's unnecessary.

Submitted by Sirand on Wed, 12/01/2010 - 5:16pm.
moderator It's hardly unprecedented.
Debi Moore's picture

It's hardly unprecedented. Back in the "old days" of TV (30+ years ago), it was common to hire freelancers vs. having a full-time writing staff. It's still done fairly regularly in the UK today, and according to a lot of the comments to the Deadline story, Babylon 5 didn't have a writing staff during Seasons 3-5. So I think it's safe to assume the quality of TWD will remain intact.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Wed, 12/01/2010 - 4:27pm.

Come on, where are all the Darabont fanboys who were cheering the addition of Michael Rooker-the most unnecessary character of the season-but are angry about this?

I thought papa Darabont worked in wild mysterious ways and we should trust him?
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 12/01/2010 - 3:33pm.
moderator I liked Rooker's character,

I liked Rooker's character, and on the whole the season has really delivered. For my money that has earned the folks behind it a little good faith. It's easy to assume the worst. All we can do is wait and see how it pans out.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Wed, 12/01/2010 - 4:13pm.

Rooker was an awful character and the biggest most blatant plot device in an otherwise excellent first season. Hey look he's dirty, a redneck, a militant racist, and a loose cannon, maybe he can have a Hitler mustache to complete the cliche.

Lame.

But I intend to come back for season two.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 12/01/2010 - 4:54pm.
GJW's picture

So....Are they just leaving Rookers character as is? Is he finished?

----------------------------------
"Well, for one thing, I think he was probably a closet homosexual who did a lot of cocaine. That whole Yale thing."

Submitted by GJW on Wed, 12/01/2010 - 4:27pm.
moderator I'm pretty sure we haven't
Debi Moore's picture

I'm pretty sure we haven't seen the last of Merle. But we have an interview coming soon with Rooker (he's just gathering some photos for us, and then it'll go up) that will hopefully clarify things.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Wed, 12/01/2010 - 4:29pm.
GJW's picture

Tell him he was one of my favorite characters in TOMBSTONE! LOL.

Anyway,I am going to watch "The Lost Boys:The Thirst" now. Figured I'd tell everyone HERE since I don't do the twitter thingy. I have been hesitant to watch this after the atrocity known as "The Tribe". Oh well,gotta see it anyway.

Deep breath........here goes.

----------------------------------

Submitted by GJW on Wed, 12/01/2010 - 5:11pm.
GJW's picture

You know,after Episode 4,with us finding out he escaped and that the truck they took was missing,I thought what we were going to find that what happened was HE (Rooker) loaded up zombies (it can be done,long stick,loop around the end,keep them at arms length and lead them in a direction) in the truck,drove up the mount,and let them loose purposely on the camp to exact revenge for leaving him there. I really thought he would have had something to do with it.

----------------------------------

Submitted by GJW on Wed, 12/01/2010 - 5:04pm.
ChaosWeaver's picture

It's always good to get fresh ideas in to bounce off of others, but you need at least some of the people who started the characters off, the people who know HOW they were developed into what they are, to be able to shut down any changes that would go against the characters they created.

Submitted by ChaosWeaver on Wed, 12/01/2010 - 11:26am.
Matt Serafini's picture

This is pretty fucked.

I'd be curious to hear more from Darabont on this, but it hardly seems the best way to continue a show which follows the same people and the same story week-to-week.

Submitted by Matt Serafini on Wed, 12/01/2010 - 10:35am.

Ahh, someone just hit the implode button I see!

__________
Please consider the environment before printing this message...

Submitted by PelusaMG on Wed, 12/01/2010 - 9:59am.

Bad Idea.

Shows about the aftermath of the apocalypse have the habbit of eventually turning into soap operas (Hell episode 3 pretty much was) and to me this is the first sign that this is what's going to happen to this show.

Submitted by will graham on Wed, 12/01/2010 - 8:31am.
Vanvance1's picture

I read this as bad news. Mostly because I really liked that he'd gathered together some ex Shield writers; people proven to be enormously talented.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Wed, 12/01/2010 - 3:39am.