Early Details on the IT Remake

Stephen King's IT Remake Going TheatricalI often try hard to not be another cynical voice on the Internet, but it's news like this that finds me shaking my head in disbelief. Anyone who's read Stephen King's IT knows that it can't possibly work as a single feature-length film, right? We also know that it isn't stopping Warner Bros. from trying. And while the project is still in development, read on for what screenwriter Dave Kajganich had to say about it.

Last year we told you that the IT remake was moving forward, and one year later we still only know about that much. But the Stephen King fansite Lilja's Library had a very interesting conversation with screenwriter Dave Kajganich about his approach to the project which, as of now, is steadily moving forward.

"In all of my talks with the studio, it has only ever been discussed as a single feature film," says Kajganich. "The book's length is clearly more suited to a mini-series and I understand very well why they went that route the last time around, but I think the book's content is really more appropriate for cinema. I told the studio from the beginning that I felt I needed to be able to write for an R rating, since I wanted to be as candid as the novel about the terrible things the characters go through as kids. They agreed and off I went."

Kajganich also spoke on the seemingly impossible (and unenviable) task of consolidating the novel without losing sight of the story:

"I think the biggest difference is that we're working with about two-thirds the onscreen time they had for the miniseries, Kajganich continues. "That sounds dire, I know, but it doesn't necessarily mean two-thirds the amount of story. I'm finding as many ways as I can to make certain scenes redundant by deepening and doubling others. To me, this is an interesting process because it has the effect of thematically intensifying the whole, but it can lead to dramatic surprises. Certain scenes I thought would be crucial to the coherence of the whole ended up cut, while other scenes, which were somewhat cursory in the book, ended up being pivotal in the script."

The writer was, at one time, attached to the Paramount Pet Sematary remake, but the 'all knowing' powers-that-be decided that the film should be tailored to a much younger audience, which meant that Ellie Creed was suddenly going to be the focal point of the film ... and a teenager.

- MattFini

Bury your pet in the Dread Central forums!

magiclemon89's picture

I take it that the remake of 'IT' is out the window then? I've not heard any updates or recent information since early 2010...

Submitted by magiclemon89 on Wed, 11/09/2011 - 8:14pm.

Why not just make 2 movies?

One set when they were kids and the other when they're adults?

Submitted by will graham on Thu, 07/01/2010 - 4:12am.
James Coker's picture

VanVance1 I couldn't agree with you more, and i do hope Pennywise scares the shit out of a whole new generation of little kids

Submitted by James Coker on Thu, 07/01/2010 - 1:55am.
Vanvance1's picture

I think most every King novel could use some judicious editing. What takes King 1000 pages takes a less self-indulgent writer, 200.

I see no reason 'IT' the movie cannot be superior to the mini-series or the book.

King is one writer who's work I don't want to see 'word for word' on the screen. I prefer an intelligent take on his surface concepts i.e. The Shining or The Dark Half both of which were far stronger than their source material.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Thu, 07/01/2010 - 1:37am.
Tshoffie's picture

Whats the point of Adapting anyones novels to the Screen if your not gonna be faithful to the material. i mean if you change it to much its no longer what the author wrote. i dont know about you but if i see a movie made based on the work of an author i really like i expect it to be as close to the book as possible..

Submitted by Tshoffie on Fri, 07/02/2010 - 12:12am.
Vanvance1's picture

Usually I'll agree with you. It's why I feel Bubba Ho-Tep is a work of brilliance.

In the case of King I disagree. First off he has never had an original idea in his life. Secondly King is so successful that no one edits his work and it becomes overly long and self-indulgent (we see this in modern films too, Peter Jackson being a prime example).

Exhibit A: Kubrick's 'The Shining'. King hated this movie because it was not his novel. Hence Kings 'The Shining' mini-series; this is the complete novel as written. Now tell me, which work is superior?

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Fri, 07/02/2010 - 12:48am.
Matt Serafini's picture

I have to respectfully disagree with you, Vanvance.

The Shining mini doesn't work because Mick Garris isn't a very good filmmaker.

If a really good director wanted to take a crack at King's source material and make a theatrical film out of it, I think it could work.

Kubrick's film is excellent, but boy does it have flaws. If I had to choose between the Kubrick film and the King novel, I'd go with King. Jack's descent into madness is much for memorable and unsettling in the novel.

I take it you're not a King fan, though, so methinks I won't be getting you to reconsider. :)

Submitted by Matt Serafini on Fri, 07/02/2010 - 3:52pm.
James Coker's picture

BUT!!! i do hope they change the ending though...come on A GIANT FUCKING SPIDER!!! ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!!!

Submitted by James Coker on Wed, 06/30/2010 - 10:10pm.
Morgan Elektra's picture

Yeah, he totally should have left it as just an ancient alien clown that feeds on children. That makes way more sense.

Submitted by Morgan Elektra on Wed, 06/30/2010 - 11:17pm.
GJW's picture

My sarcasm detector just went off.

---------------------------------------------
Formerly FireRam

Submitted by GJW on Fri, 07/02/2010 - 12:45pm.
GJW's picture

Yes James Coker, that was very,very,very stupid. Even as a child I was like huh? WTF......did I miss something here? LOL............Dumb. Now,the movie ending to The Mist was different than the book,so why not. I'd have no problem with it.

---------------------------------------------
Formerly FireRam

Submitted by GJW on Wed, 06/30/2010 - 10:18pm.
Tshoffie's picture

While i agree that a 1 hour movie maybe to short to tackle that story i have to say the Tv miniseries was atrocious and pretty much sucked..if it hadnt been for Tim Currys performace then the miniseries would probably be forgotten.

To make this work youd probably need at least a 3 hour running time and get a director that actually will be faithful to Kings Story and not try and change everything just to suit thier needs..Also a Hard R rating doesnt hurt Either and the Right Cast

Submitted by Tshoffie on Wed, 06/30/2010 - 10:06pm.
James Coker's picture

Sirand and GJW, It would definitly work better as an HBO or Showtime mini-series but i am a bit happy that at least this will be R-Rated(hopefully) and GJW I was a kid in the early 90's and believe me Pennywise also Scarred the living shit out of me, And i am VERY GLAD that Pennywise will be coming back, there needs to be a whole new generation of little kids shitting themselves over pennywise and hopefully many Pennywise Halloween Costumes...come one guys He needs to be an Icon

Submitted by James Coker on Wed, 06/30/2010 - 9:55pm.
GJW's picture

This little motherfucking clown scared me more than any thing in the world when I was a kid. More than Jaws. More than The Exorcist. THIS damn clown!

---------------------------------------------
Formerly FireRam

Submitted by GJW on Wed, 06/30/2010 - 8:27pm.
Sirand's picture

The novel is great, but the mini-series does NOT hold up. Tim Curry is great, but the character stuff is Lifetime level cornball bad.

A mini-series for HBO or Showtime is the way to go.

Submitted by Sirand on Wed, 06/30/2010 - 7:50pm.