Guillermo del Toro Getting Ready to Rock with Frankenstein

Guillermo del Toro Getting Ready to Rock with FrankensteinI'm one of the few people who didn't mind the news that visionary director Guillermo del Toro was off of The Hobbit. Don't get me wrong; it's sad to think that we'll never see what del Toro had planned for Middle Earth, but his departure would mean that he'd have more time to devote to other projects ... like his remake of Frankenstein that we've been salivating over since it was announced.

Other than del Toro casting actor Doug Jones as The Monster, not much has been said about the flick. That is until Bloody Disgusting caught up with him at this year's Saturn Awards.

"I'm presenting the storyline to Universal ... but I think that I wanna be if possible shooting in May next year," del Toro tells our brothers in harm over at BD. "So I need something that's ready to go into pre-production immediately. We're doing tests ... we did all the sculpting already. He's completely done, the body, the face, all the parts, including the nuts, which are something to behold. But we are doing a test with Doug very soon."

Speaking as a huge Frankenstein fan, you'll need to excuse me for a moment while I break out into an impromptu rendition of the Electric Slide for the next forty-five minutes.

Hit up the above link for more on del Toro's upcoming projects including Don't be Afraid of the Dark, At the Mountains of Madness and a quick update on the status of Hellboy 3.

Find out if it's alive in the Dread Central forums!

NeoKefka's picture

Didn't Del Toro say in a past interview that this isn't a remake of Frankenstein but some story about the monster travelling the world? I'd really like to see that.

Submitted by NeoKefka on Tue, 06/29/2010 - 11:54am.
dawnkatdead's picture

I think that del Toro is an exellent person to tell the Frankenstein story. Is this a remake of Frankenstein, as in Boris Karloff or Mary Shelly's? Either way I think del Toro has the skills to make this pretty good. The man did do Lord of the Rings, Hellboy, and Pan's Labyrinth so I think it has potential

Submitted by dawnkatdead on Mon, 06/28/2010 - 8:50am.
Vanvance1's picture

Peter Jackson did Lord of the Rings.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Mon, 06/28/2010 - 2:40pm.
dawnkatdead's picture

My bad, for some reason I get them confused sometimes. Maybe it's because they were both big hairy guys at one point in time.

Submitted by dawnkatdead on Tue, 06/29/2010 - 10:58am.
Vanvance1's picture

I thought I wanted 'At The Mountains of Madness'; then I realized there's really no way to make a mainstream/big budget Lovecraft movie and stay even remotely close to the source material.

I like Del Toro and I'm very glad he won't be wasting his creative energies pumping out TWO movies for the small book 'The Hobbit' (for which there is enough material for a single film). At the same time I can't get excited by 'Frakenstein'. Didn't we just get 'Splice'?

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Mon, 06/28/2010 - 1:17am.
Gus Bjork's picture

Why not? Mountains is a very visual story, more than a lot of Lovecraft. I think with some careful scripting it could be incredible.

It would be nice to get a better idea of where he's going with this Frankenstein thing. Like mentioned before it's been a long long time since we've had a good Frankenstein film.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Wed, 06/30/2010 - 4:30pm.
X-Count's picture

Am I the only one that actually wants him to not touch Frankenstein or any other movie ever again?

Submitted by X-Count on Sun, 06/27/2010 - 8:55pm.
Tshoffie's picture

i think most of us would rather him stick to doing original films but unfortunately thats not gonna happen...as for not wanting him to touch a movie ever again i dont know what you mean if you mean do we want him to not do remakes then yes but if you mean doing movies in general no

Submitted by Tshoffie on Sun, 06/27/2010 - 10:42pm.
James Coker's picture

WHOA WHOA WHOA everybody hold up, We Haven't seen a potentially Good Frankenstein movie in a VERY LONG TIME, i'm actually a bit excited to see a good Frankenstein back on the big screen and not a pussy bible quoting Frankenstein from Van Helsing

Submitted by James Coker on Sat, 06/26/2010 - 5:31pm.
Tshoffie's picture

i realize that del toro could do a good job i dont doubt that one bit...but i would rather him make At the mouth of madness then a remake of frankenstein because right after that it looks like he has yet another remake hes doing for a film i dont think needs to be remade called dont be afraid of the dark

Submitted by Tshoffie on Sat, 06/26/2010 - 10:54pm.
Rottenjesus's picture

I'd much rather see HELLBOY 3 instead of yet another "re-imagined" re-telling of the Frankenstein story. No offense to Del Toro, whose Frankenstein I'm sure will be entertaining but it's hard to get excited about another remake. Especially after the whole Wolf Man mess.

Submitted by Rottenjesus on Sat, 06/26/2010 - 2:29pm.
Tshoffie's picture

Looks like Del Toro is getting on the Remake Bandwagon just like everyone else...tis a shame he was so talented. instead of giving us the long promised At the mountains of madness hes decided to give us yet another Frankenstein Remake

Submitted by Tshoffie on Sat, 06/26/2010 - 5:22am.

Got to agree.

As much as I love Del Toro's work, the story has already been told over 50 times! I much rather have Mountains of Madness or an original idea of his own.

Submitted by will graham on Sat, 06/26/2010 - 6:36am.