New Mortal Kombat Promotional Reel Delivers the Goods

The original Mortal Kombat has the dubious honor of being one of Paul W.S. Anderson's best flicks. It's sequel, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, bears the even more dubious honor of being one of the worst video game to film adaptations out there, nearly on the same level of bad as the Street Fighter movie. There's been talk of a third one for a while now, but thanks to various pending lawsuits it's been kept at bay. Wait until you guys see this.

Holy shit. Now this? Even though some obvious liberties were taken with the mythos to ground the series in a more realistic manner, this is something we can get behind. Over on YouTube an eight-minute video entitled Mortal Kombat: Rebirth and starring Michael Jai White as Jax has surfaced, which brings on what we've been waiting for in an MK film adaptation -- a serious tone and some serious violence.

No one was 100% sure about what this video is, but now Twitch Film is reporting that it is a promo reel for the new feature film.

Kevin Tancharoen directed the video, which stars Jeri Ryan as Sonya Blade, Lateef Crowder as Baraka, and Matt Mullins as Johnny Cage. The fight choreography was done by Larnell Stovall (Undisputed III).

Please, lord, make this happen. What do you guys think? Tell us below!

Finish someone in the Dread Central forums

LifeMi's picture

The idea of Michael Jai White as Jax is great, but other than that I didn't care for the video. This is not one of those properties that can be done realistically; it's fantasy. Yes, I appreciate someone finally taking it seriously but the realism doesn't work for me.

Submitted by LifeMi on Tue, 06/08/2010 - 11:11pm.

That was a pretty lame, faux-badass trailer. Certain properties shouldn't be so grounded in reality. I'd rather have a Mortal Kombat bordering on fantasy than what's being depicted here.

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Tue, 06/08/2010 - 10:02pm.
frank_dracman's picture

Well, E3 is this weekend, so I can't help but shake the feeling this has more to do with a new MK game than a new movie. I'll take either one, the first movie is a guilty pleasure and the games rock. Yes, even the MKVSDC one.

Submitted by frank_dracman on Tue, 06/08/2010 - 8:47pm.
Gareth Jones's picture

I like where they're coming from, and really dig Scorpion's presentation. The brief flash of Sub Zero's face looked badass too, but holy shit that Baraka design is freakin' awful.

If they do manage to get the movie made, lets hope they stick closer to the original - white dude, built, bald head, big fucking teeth. If not, it'll piss me off the whole time I watch it.

Submitted by Gareth Jones on Tue, 06/08/2010 - 8:14pm.

Baraka's design if perfect. I think this twist on MK is excellent. It's about time someone added a horror twist taking it seriously instead of just turning it in to a cheesy Kung fu fest like Anderson did.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 06/08/2010 - 8:23pm.
creightonchaney's picture

I agree with Terminal. And we have seen enough bad Bloodsport knockoffs to realize that no studio is going to take MK seriously in a strict tournament style, and Hollywood would simply cash in on this the same way they handled the original (which is not too awful, but not a great movie either) and Street Fighter, as more of a cheesy game adaptation. So this is where a change in pace would be welcome.

Video game adaptations are a tough call, because a film director with any creative inklings would not want to do a direct adaptation because this then eliminates the possibility of surprises. But then you are left alienating some of the games fan base. Having said that, this walks the line just right, by keeping much of the fighting/tournament aspect intact (Cage died in MK2 according to the game storyline if I remember, or perhaps it was 3, so that is nothing new), and adding interesting horror subtleties.

The short was cool and fun, but you can have an amazing short, and not be able to bring it to a feature well either. So here's hoping!

By the way, the best video game adaptation in my opinion, is not even an existing game... Avalon.

"Never Moon a Werewolf...sound advice." - from my lips to your ears (2005).

Submitted by creightonchaney on Wed, 06/09/2010 - 12:23am.

Yeah this new direction is rather excellent. I loved the new twisted take on Reptile and him serving a purpose instead of just popping up in the movie for no reason other than to get in to a fight and die.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 06/09/2010 - 3:52am.
Cinemascribe's picture

Agreed, Terminal. I loved the clip. My favorite character (including in the original film,when he beat the holy hell out of Johnny Cage) ) was always Scorpion..so you can imagine how much I enjoyed how this ended. A really nice touch was hearing the famous "Get over here!" bellow as the title flashed. I'm in for this one.
----------------------------------
"I'm saying that I'm an insect who dreamt he was a man...and loved it. But now the dream is over..and the insect is awake." - Seth Brundle

Submitted by Cinemascribe on Wed, 06/09/2010 - 5:23am.
Vanvance1's picture

I really enjoyed the original. The games themselves are cheese fests so the movie perfectly suited the material.

Having said that I'm okay with something more violent.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Tue, 06/08/2010 - 11:12pm.

No, I think these games could be approached with a much more stern tone and make for sick action horror flicks like HellRaiser meets Enter the Dragon.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 06/09/2010 - 3:46am.
FireRam's picture

Oh hell fucking yeah. This looks sweet!!!!! I liked the Mortal Kombat of the 90's. I haven't watched it since and don't plan to. I'll keep the memories (althougth faint) of the enjoyment I had in the theatre and not experience the film again since I am much older now. I remember not liking the second much,though I did like the characters they added. I also have fond memories of sitting in my parents basement and playing the game on Sega Genesis with some friends I have since lost touch with. I look forward to this. Liked the Johnny Cage kill!!
FINISH HIM!

And......if I had to note one thing I dislike about the clip it would be Baraka. WTF! Make Baraka more like,well,Baraka!!

-------------------------------------------------------
Abashed the Devil stood and felt how awful goodness is.

Submitted by FireRam on Tue, 06/08/2010 - 8:51pm.

Saw this earlier today and my god it's incredible. THIS is how an MK movie should be done. Period. Fuck that atrocity from the nineties.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 06/08/2010 - 7:42pm.