Martyrs Remake on the Way and More Coming from Writer Mark L. Smith

Another writer that has been hot on Hollywood's script list is Mark L. Smith. Smith, who thus far has penned Vacancy and The Hole 3D, has several forks in the fire including the long talked about remake of Pascal Laugier's stunning film Martyrs.

In an interview with Bloody Disgusting Smith revealed that he has written the current draft of Martyrs, a remake of the French horror film he wrote for Wyck Godfrey (Temple/Hill) who's now producing the Twilight films among others.

[There's also] "The Revenant, which is a period action/revenge piece that Anonymous Content is producing," he tells BD exclusively, adding some huge news. "John Hillcoat (The Road) is attached to direct, and Christian Bale is in talks to star."

Smith also teased a project he's working on with Patrick Tatopoulos (Underworld 3; I, Frankenstein; The Colony) as well as a film called Trouble, which he worked on with Sidney Lumet. Hit up the above link for more details.

Dig on the trailer for the original Martyrs below.

Be a martyr in the Dread Central forums!

dawnkatdead's picture

Why would they remake this!? Because of this movie I didn't sleep well for a few days afterwards, I kept thinking that something was going to come out from underneath the bed, or the bathtub! Leave it alone. The movie is very powerful, and all an american screenwriter and producer are going to do is dumb it down so that people can understand what it's about, which I'm sure they'll not even bring up what these people were trying to achieve, because it might offend somebody! I'm sure they're going to do what they did with REC. Lets not make a movie that has to do with any aspect of religon, which still freaks out most European audiences, let's just make them rabid! Well good luck with that one! FUCKERS!!!!

Submitted by dawnkatdead on Wed, 05/26/2010 - 8:55am.
Emilie Noetzel's picture

Watch your spoilers there...

Some of us still have yet to find time to watch bot [REC] movies (Euro and US versions).

;)

Submitted by Emilie Noetzel on Wed, 05/26/2010 - 5:44pm.
dawnkatdead's picture

I'll be sure to do that. By the way I heard through the grapevine that they are both available on DVD, and I believe one of them is on Blue Ray, but I could be wrong.

;)

Submitted by dawnkatdead on Thu, 05/27/2010 - 9:03am.
Emilie Noetzel's picture

It's been more a question of finding the time to watch movies (and which ones to watch when said time is found) then a question of finding them (not really a problem when you got to conventions).

I have fallen behind majorly in the last few years...

Submitted by Emilie Noetzel on Fri, 05/28/2010 - 1:00pm.
Matt Serafini's picture

Color me shocked that Hollywood is going to go ahead and try and remake Martyrs, of all films.

It's one of my favorite horror films of the last decade and I just don't see how it will translate to Hollywood.

Then again, Oldboy has been threatened for a while now as well and, as far as I know, that's no longer happening. I wish the same fate for this horribly misguided project.

Submitted by Matt Serafini on Wed, 05/26/2010 - 8:21am.
FireRam's picture

Next up: FRONTIER(S)?

----------------------------------------------------
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius,and I approved this message.

Submitted by FireRam on Wed, 05/26/2010 - 12:53pm.
Emilie Noetzel's picture

I don't know how big of a hit Frontière(s) was here or elsewhere. It seems, it was skipped in the order of movies to remake. Which is nice, so let's not give them ideas...

As for Martyrs, they more then likely will not keep any of the really disturbing stuff...

But we shall see.

Also, might just be one of those remakes that ends up taking so long to be made that it falls through the cracks..

Submitted by Emilie Noetzel on Wed, 05/26/2010 - 5:43pm.

I read on Joblo that this could be a Platinum Dunes production. Any truth to that?
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 05/26/2010 - 2:54am.
Chainsaw's picture

Mr. Horse?

"No, sir. I don't like it."

Submitted by Chainsaw on Wed, 05/26/2010 - 2:53am.
Vanvance1's picture

Martyrs doesn't need to be remade. It was just right the first time around.

Are North American audiences too stupid to read sub titles? Or do they need a kinder, gentler Martyrs which is an exercise in pointlessness.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Tue, 05/25/2010 - 11:21pm.
FireRam's picture

I hate subtitles. Really do. BUT,since it seems better horror is getting made overseas,I have watched "THEM","FRONTIER(S)", [REC], and MARTYRS all with subtitles. It's a price I guess I will now have to pay to see a good horror film,and I'm learning to accept that. Actually,FTR: I had a hold of a copy of [REC] with English dub. Stopped watching it because it was just annoying,and ended up watching watching the original (in Spanish) version.

----------------------------------------------------
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius,and I approved this message.

Submitted by FireRam on Wed, 05/26/2010 - 12:57pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Dubs are stupid. Especially Godzilla. Whenever I find myself reading subs now I automatically start thinking I'm going to be seeing a good movie. I'd like to see a Fulci movie in subs with every actor speaking a different language. That'd be funny.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Wed, 05/26/2010 - 3:29pm.
Tshoffie's picture

Oh yeah just noticed the guy that wrote the remake script wrote it for the producer of the Gay Twilight series one person that has no business touching great horror films..

Submitted by Tshoffie on Tue, 05/25/2010 - 11:17pm.
Tshoffie's picture

Wow i wonder how bad they are gonna Water down the Remake of Martyrs. God i wish this endless sea of Remakes would end..Someone said not to long ago that horror isnt dead and will never die well i have to say if hollywood hasnt killed it yet all these lame shit ass Remakes have put it on life support.. horror has fallen and i think if things dont change it wont get back up

Submitted by Tshoffie on Tue, 05/25/2010 - 11:15pm.

Not surprising. At all. The cycle of the remake continues...
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 05/25/2010 - 10:23pm.
nonserviam03's picture

remake Martyrs?
surprising? no
infuriating? ABSOLUTELY

Submitted by nonserviam03 on Tue, 05/25/2010 - 10:21pm.
Well
FireRam's picture

Well said.

----------------------------------------------------
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius,and I approved this message.

Submitted by FireRam on Wed, 05/26/2010 - 12:58pm.