Ryuhei Kitamura to Direct Black Friday 3D?

Ryuhei KitamuraMore news out of Cannes. A new slasher is getting set to bring his special brand of slaughter to horror fans, and one hell of a director is said to be getting behind the project.

Bloody Disgusting broke the news that Midnight Meat Train director Ryuhei Kitamura (pictured) will be getting behind the camera for Black Friday 3D - a project that has been kicking around for quite a while now with various different names attached to both direct and star. We did some digging and can tell you that as of yet nothing is solid in the way of casting despite some names recently brought to light like Lindsay Lohan.

I went to a source close to the project, Dread Central's resident rock star and my partner in crime Joe Knetter, who penned the script for Black Friday to get some official word. He couldn't confirm or deny any of the leaked news due to legal reasons (damned pesky non-disclosures) but did have this to say with a wink, "The script is in very capable hands. I have no doubt they'll put out a killer film. I'm thrilled to see this project finally taking off. The new script is brutal and full of cool, gory deaths. I look forward to seeing it brought to life."

Check out an early plot crunch below, which details the life and crimes of a lunatic named Tyler Hillburg.

It's the 4th of July. Fireworks light up the sky. A houseboat secluded from the rest of the festivities floats on the lake. A couple relax on the deck without a care in the world and watch the display. They are madly in love and feel as though they are the only two people in the world. They are not as alone as they think as someone is watching them. Soon that person will do more than watch, and all hell will break loose.

Hone your killing skills in the Dread Central forums!

Vermithrax's picture

I used to be a huge Kitamura fan but nowadays I find myself putting my Kitamura DVDs on eBay to get rid of them.

His movies plain suck, they all have the exact same fight sequences and each fight has to have a 2 minute break each 30 seconds. ANNOYING.

Not to mention he ruined Godzilla's 50th Anniversery film with that heap of crap Godzilla Final Wars, man that was a terrible movie, and this is coming from a huge Godzilla fan.

Midnight Meat Train was a step in the right direction, just keep the fighting and The Matrix out of it!

Submitted by Vermithrax on Wed, 05/19/2010 - 1:13pm.

After "Midnight Meat Train" I'll see anything this guy does.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 05/19/2010 - 12:23pm.
moderator I agree. I know I'm in the
Debi Moore's picture

I agree. I know I'm in the minority, but as far as recent Barker adaptations go, I much preferred MMT to Dread.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Wed, 05/19/2010 - 2:11pm.
Vanvance1's picture

MMT looked amazing; so good I kept checking the names on the box because I could not believe an Asian director was capable of such brilliant visual style.

Dread wasn't as slick but it was a better movie. I didn't feel the story was stretched like I did MMT.

I'm happy to see this director get another shot; with a stronger script the results could be amazing.

P.S. I'm not thrilled with what he did with Godzilla but it was overall entertaining.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Wed, 05/19/2010 - 2:39pm.
Didn't See It Coming's picture

You couldn't believe an Asian director was capable of a brilliant visual style? How many Asian movies have you seen?

Submitted by Didn't See It Coming on Wed, 05/19/2010 - 8:59pm.
Vanvance1's picture

A lot of horror and kaiju flicks.

I love the monster movies but usually find Asian horror falls flat; often because of piss poor direction.

At times the directors will make the Hollywood transition and release work that is visually incoherent (i.e. Shimizu with The Grudge) or very poorly paced (i.e John Woo).

The exceptions so far have been Ronny Yu and Kitamura.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Wed, 05/19/2010 - 9:41pm.

"Midnight Meat Train" was a lot of fun and that ending was twisted as hell. I didn't know it was a Barker adaptation, I just enjoyed the hell out of it.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 05/19/2010 - 2:31pm.
Didn't See It Coming's picture

That movie was terrible.

Submitted by Didn't See It Coming on Wed, 05/19/2010 - 1:51pm.
LifeMi's picture

Midnight Meat Train was an atrocity and I don't have much faith in Kitamura after that. Believe it or not, I haven't seen Godzilla: Final Wars yet.

Submitted by LifeMi on Wed, 05/19/2010 - 12:11pm.
Didn't See It Coming's picture

Too bad Kitamura hasn't made a good movie since Azumi.

Submitted by Didn't See It Coming on Wed, 05/19/2010 - 5:27am.