Fox Makes a Date with WETA and Planet of the Apes: Rise of the Apes

Looking to permanently wash away the memories of Tim Burton's tepid and oh so silly Planet of the Apes remake? (Really, why did Helena Bonham Carter's ape have perfectly shaped eyebrows?) Fox is moving full steam ahead with its prequel, hiring an effects company, giving the flick a new title, and even setting a proposed release date.

According to Variety Twentieth Century Fox will release the prequel Planet of the Apes: Rise of the Apes on June 24th, 2011, with Rupert Wyatt confirmed to direct and Peter Jackson's visual effects company WETA handling all the digital bits.

Wyatt will be working from a script by Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver. No other details were available at press time, but we're hoping for something along the lines of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, which in itself was a prequel starring Roddy McDowall playing a very intelligent ape named Caesar who spearheaded the revolt against the humans. Please, powers-that-be -- GIVE US THIS and make it violent!

Fox Makes a Date with WETA and Planet of the Apes: Rise of the Apes

Revolt in the Dread Central forums!

LivingDeadPunk's picture

Wow. Genre Nazis.

I'm all for DC covering anything that even vaguely reminds me of Helena Bonham Carter from PotA, as the things I'd do with that sexy little chimp would truly horrify most people.

Submitted by LivingDeadPunk on Sat, 05/08/2010 - 11:28pm.
moderator Rest assured guys, our

Rest assured guys, our formula isn't changing. We may get a little fringy every now and again but horror is our main bag in all of its forms.

As for there being plenty of horror to cover, we agree, and we do our best to cover every little bit of it as soon as possible so you don't miss a trick. If there's a horror movie out there that we haven't mentioned yet, tell us about it and we'll be more than happy to bring you as much about it as possible.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Fri, 05/07/2010 - 10:23pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Creepy, it's absurd of you to expect people to get behind a website they visit every day of their lives.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sat, 05/08/2010 - 12:18pm.

If Mr & Mrs Creepy want to cover sci-fi films on this site, THEY can do that... It's their site (well, you know what I mean), so they can do what the hell they like with it. I'll still be here regularly, because the horror stuff isn't going away, so what's the point of moaning about what people choose to review and report here? If you don't like what's going on, don't stick around... It's not like they've been posting news/reviews of "The Hottie and the Nottie" for Christ's sake!

Submitted by PelusaMG on Fri, 05/07/2010 - 2:59pm.

PelusaMG just some advice: the best way to bring people to a site you love is to insist they keep coming, not telling people to go somewhere else. I mean if you ran a restaurant and people didn't like what you were serving, would it be good for business to say "Go eat somewhere else then!" or to say "Well if you don't like what we're serving, you could at least try out our food."

As their friend I can understand why you would cheer them on regardless of what errors they're making, and they can do whatever they want; hell it's not my site so who gives a shit?

And if they want to cover sci fi, then that's their right, but then it will cease to become a horror site and I'm pretty sure only THEY will continue to think they're running a horror site.

The line will blur. They're already covering science fiction and action movies (Hobo with a shotgun, machete), and rock music that has nothing to do with horror, so I think it's time for DC to drop the "we're horror" pretense and just cover all the genres like Arrow in the Head did a looong time ago when it became obvious he stopped being solely about horror.

But again it's not my site, so you could run Looney Tunes for all I give a shit. I just thought it was an interesting bit of evolution over the years.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 05/07/2010 - 4:22pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

There isn't enough good horror to talk about plain and simple. I grew up on horror and sci-fi in equal doses so I'm not offended by science fiction being covered. Nor would it bother me to see Fantasy being covered. I'm a geek all around and so are these guys I can tell. They shouldn't have to take shit for putting it all out there or have to justify covering anything to anybody and I include myself in that since I take a difference with the amount of coverage Twilight gets on this site.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Fri, 05/07/2010 - 4:33pm.

Once again I like you back peddling for "Stop covering sci fi!" to "Hey they can do what they want" just to get in good, okay, I understand that.

But if there's not enough horror being put out there look for ways to enrich the experience.

Don't cover everything on some desperate threads trying to connect it to horror. ""Watchmen" was my favorite horror movie of the year because it had killings in it." Uh huh, riiiight.

Just saying. It's their website. I'm just a reader being told to go elsewhere if I don't agree with the coverage, so what do I know?
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 05/07/2010 - 4:37pm.
Vanvance1's picture

For the most part I agree.

Planet of the Apes isn't horror. True it's connected in that Rod Serling who wrote horror penned the original screen play... but that's about it.

I would like to see an end to all music coverage since that is DEFINITELY not horror.

Also an end to all coverage of romance movies (Twilight).

I don't object to any SF that crosses over(Pandorum). And I do love SF, but I get my SF fix in other places.

And yes, there IS enough horror news to support the site. If you don't think so you're not paying attention.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Fri, 05/07/2010 - 6:55pm.

Vavance1 speaks major truth. I know that for websites to get the word out they cross lines of genres so they can get more coverage, but lately it's getting rather absurd.

But hey, it's your website.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 05/07/2010 - 7:21pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Have I ever said stop covering sci-fi? Uncle Creepy? I want more of it if anything. I have said stop covering Twilight but 'cmon I'm not the only one. Creepy even gets shit about that on the DFF's.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Fri, 05/07/2010 - 4:50pm.

Dude, you're really not helping to argue for the site's favor, so put the brakes on.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 05/07/2010 - 4:52pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

It doesn't really matter that you are incapable of comprehending most things being discussed but they know that my frustration lies in them not committing themselves to broadening the sites horizons like they could. They like to tease. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter. They've been pretty successful doing their own thing. Whatever that may be. It's cool they covered Moon at least but that movie is as pure a science fiction movie as it gets, imo. io9 is a pretty badass science fiction site and is one of a dozen I frequent but I like the people involved with Dread Central more. I don't recognize individual names on the other sites because I just don't give a shit. It's much like reading Edge magazine.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Fri, 05/07/2010 - 5:04pm.

I'll keep that in mind when you're bitching next time about why they covered one thing and not another, kay?
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 05/07/2010 - 5:07pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

The difference is you act like you want to leave the site because they get into other genres, like that's a threat. Haha. I want them to cover more because they write well and I know them individually aside from the occasional random person that writes a review here and there. I felt the same way about Play magazine. They were my favorite gaming mag while they were around because I knew and liked every editor of the magazine very much. I gave Dave Halverson shit all the time for acting like every game that came out was the best game ever made including Golden Axe: Beast Rider but I respect and admire the shit out of him. Shit a couple of the editors were trying to convince me to talk to Dave about writing for the magazine for a good year until they finally got the hint that I just wanted to read it. They should have taken my advice and stopped trying to be such a niche mag though. That just doesn't work today and in this economy no matter how badass their covers were every month.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Fri, 05/07/2010 - 5:51pm.

LMAO, a threat? Oh please. You presume too much. I could leave right now and no one would give a shit because there are about two million people who will come here and take my place and kiss up in a sycophantic manner as you have been doing so gracefully.

I don't threaten to leave like I'm holding it over their heads. You think when it comes down to it they actually give two craps if I come or go? At the end of the day they're still running a website and are still going to go to bed and sleep easy, it's the internet, it's not life or death.

No, if anything their underlying contempt for their readers guarantees I won't be missed and I am not posing delusions about that. No one is indispensable on the internet. No one.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Sat, 05/08/2010 - 1:20am.
LifeMi's picture

Agreed, FT. I don't understand why Terminal freaks out every time something non-horror gets brought up. It's not like Arrow in the Head where they cover non-horror as much as horror; it rarely happens and there's usually a good reason (I'll give you Punisher War Zone, though). Nothing personal against the guy, but it just seems like he complains whenever he gets the chance. It's annoying. As far as I'm concerned, SciFi is close enough to horror that there's no problem covering it on this site.

Submitted by LifeMi on Fri, 05/07/2010 - 11:58pm.

Actually LifeMi I don't "Freak out," as you put it. I've yet to actually "freak out," and I don't complain just because I consider it to be fun, you're not actually trying to see my point of view, there's just more pointless cheerleading going on here.

I just wonder why a site that purports to cover horror and horror only crosses the lines to broaden the definition in an attempt to be sought out for more coverage.

It's like they intentionally blur the lines for more ability to spread over the genres making it impossible to classify the actual site as horror at all. I mean covering rock bands that have no connection to horror, covering action movies (hobo with a shotgun, machete) that have nothing to do with horror, and the like undermines the alleged mission statement that this website is horror first and foremost.

And I've yet to read an excuse that hasn't made me roll my eyes. "Horror fans love rock and roll," yeah I love classic rock and the Beatles, are you going to start covering them? "We're covering the hulk because it's a man who turns in to a big green monster," so what's going to happen in Iron Man 3 features Mandarin and the giant dragon fing fang foom, will they be reviewing the movie?

See, that's the shit about running a horror specific site, so many opportunities arise to cover other things and you have to basically work around your original intent to be able to seize such the opportunity.

I'd say right now that DC is 80 percent horror related, and they seem to be straying farther and farther from the actual genre confines the bigger they get.

But again, it's not my site, if they started reviewing a drama movie because it's directed by John Carpenter, then it's not in my power to dictate what they do and how they rationalize it, I just find it rather humorous now that they're still considered a source for horror when clearly that was lost long ago.

But hey, it's not my site, so who am I to talk, right? I'm still coming here for horror news, so they can do whatever they want.

And I guarantee if I stop pointing out what they're not doing today, someone will come in tomorrow to do what I was. And probably more.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Sat, 05/08/2010 - 1:03am.
LifeMi's picture

Terminal, I understand your point of view. This is a horror site first and foremost and you don't want them to stray from that. I'm right there with you. I'll never understand why Punisher: War Zone was reviewed on this site, to give you an example. That being said, there's nothing wrong with talking about Science Fiction. It's not 100% horror, but it's close enough that I don't see a problem with that being covered. I'm not against you complaining about it; I just happen to think you're blowing it out of proportion.

Submitted by LifeMi on Sat, 05/08/2010 - 6:50pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Did you see Punisher: Warzone Lifemi? Awesome movie. More gore and exploding heads than any 10 horror films in recent memory.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sat, 05/08/2010 - 7:03pm.

Punisher: Warzone was fucking great, IMO. Not as good as the 04 Punisher, but still really fucking good.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Sat, 05/08/2010 - 10:56pm.
LifeMi's picture

The phrase "a good punisher movie" doesn't exist, although Lundgren's version is cheesy fun.

Submitted by LifeMi on Sun, 05/09/2010 - 10:53am.

I disagree. Punisher 04 is great, Punisher 08 is gory fun, and Punisher 89 I'd like to burn in a warehouse.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Sun, 05/09/2010 - 12:13pm.
LifeMi's picture

Punisher 04 was bland in my opinion; the only good moment is that last shot of him on the bridge.

Submitted by LifeMi on Sun, 05/09/2010 - 1:50pm.
Vanvance1's picture

I've been disappointed with all the Punisher movies so far. I wouldn't call them terrible but none of them stand out in the violent ways they should. Warzone started out with a lot of promise but after the opening scene it all went South.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Sun, 05/09/2010 - 2:14pm.

Gotta say I still disagree. Punisher 04 and 08 were great flicks of a different tone. I loved the slow build up for 04 and the balls to the wall violence of 08.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Sun, 05/09/2010 - 3:30pm.
LifeMi's picture

You hit the nail on the head, Vanvance1. None of them are atrociously bad; they're just generic, below average fair. It'll be a long time before we ever get a good Punisher movie.

Submitted by LifeMi on Sun, 05/09/2010 - 3:07pm.
RingoJ's picture

Hey man, I see where you're coming from.

Submitted by RingoJ on Sat, 05/08/2010 - 2:22am.

Thanks RingoJ. Now go get me some yummy female hookers.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Sat, 05/08/2010 - 2:36am.
RingoJ's picture

Shit, if I had the money i'd be getting a rub and tug right now.

Submitted by RingoJ on Sun, 05/09/2010 - 8:58pm.
FireRam's picture

You want happy ending?
-----------------------
SILENCE.....I KILL YOU!

Submitted by FireRam on Sun, 05/09/2010 - 9:28pm.