Friday the 13th Sequel "Not Happening"

You just never know where news is going to come from nowadays, and you have got to be really eagle-eyed to spot it. Luckily we have eyes everywhere and rarely miss a trick.

Two of those eyes belong to Brian Collins of Bloody Disgusting who discovered that over on Brad Fuller's Twitter page a question regarding the status of Friday the 13th Part II was met with five little words that will no doubt crush the hopes of fans looking forward to a sequel -- "it is dead - not happening."

And there you have it, folks. Unless someone else comes along looking to raise up his machete once again, it looks as if everyone's favorite homicidal mama's boy will be taking a powder for a while.

The ill-fated sequel to the 2009 Friday the 13th remake penned by Damian Shannon and Mark Swift was going to take place during the winter, be shot in 3D, and feature the return of Derek Mears as Jason Voorhees. We don't really care about the 3D aspect or the season, but if anyone is really looking to make this happen, bring back Mears. The man deserves another go!

Friday the 13th Sequel 'Not Happening'

Covet your pot farm in the Dread Central forums!

I vote for Rob Zombie to direct the reboot. Who's all for disfigured Jason fucking Baby Firefly?!
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 5:43pm.
Matt Serafini's picture

GREAT news!

I have zero confidence in the 'creative' team at Platinum Dunes and, saying as how they fucked up their first Friday beyond repiar, I'm unwilling to give them another chance.

Let's let Jason rest for a few years and then, hopefully, someone with an actual love and respect for this series (ie - ME) should have a go at resurrecting the big guy.

Submitted by Matt Serafini on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 8:05am.
LifeMi's picture

100% agree. Let's face it, the series has been in bad shape for a long time. There hasn't been a genuinely good Friday film since Part 6; that was more than 20 years ago! A New Beginning sucked by the way, but I'll gladly take it over the last three films.

Submitted by LifeMi on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 1:26pm.
Didn't See It Coming's picture

Your avatar is from Part V....How much respect can you possibly have? But all kidding aside, they didn't fuck up Jason beyond repair. They actually made Jason at least a little "scary" again. The original producers of the series and the idiots at New Line did that way before.

The opening 20 minutes of the remake were far better than anything involving the character since part 4.

Submitted by Didn't See It Coming on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 11:52am.
nonserviam03's picture

I feel strangely... disappointed. I was kind of hoping that they would improve with the sequel (like I did feel that TCM: The Beginning was a big step up from the awful TCM remake).

Also yeah, Derek Mears deserves another shot

Submitted by nonserviam03 on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 1:25am.
Chainsaw's picture

Good riddance. Hopefully someone not associated with the first movie or Platinum Dookie can pick it up.
Still, we got an awesome poster out of the possibility of the movie happening. :D

Submitted by Chainsaw on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 12:08am.
James Coker's picture

I'm Glad Fuller and Form aren't going to do a sequal to their movie about taking a shit of jason's hockey mask(friday the 13th remake) but I would have liked to see Jason and Camp Crystal Lake in the winter time, what about you guys terminal,lifemi,floyd and the rest you guys, is friday the 13th in the winter time a good idea???

Submitted by James Coker on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 12:07am.
Didn't See It Coming's picture

I was kinda looking forward to this in some odd way. Either to see if they were actually listening to "fans" or if they were just going to fuck it up again. Though I think listening to the "fans" is probably the quickest way to fuck it up.

And Raiders of the Lost Ark IS a masterpiece. Anyone who doesn't think so has an outhouse for "taste".

Submitted by Didn't See It Coming on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 11:38pm.
Vanvance1's picture

I think they should just continue on from Jason X. The SF background worked really well. I could see it working again with the same blackly comic tone.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 9:51pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Totally agree about all of that. Jason X was the best entry in the series.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 9:56pm.
FireRam's picture

That poster is fucking hilarious. Can't you photoshop hobo myers in there? Now that would be funny. Artic Vorhees and Hobo Myers hit the slopes.

Submitted by FireRam on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 9:47pm.
moderator Thanks. I was feeling

Thanks. I was feeling inspired! LOL Something about a masked killer in a parka standing in a pot field during the winter made me happy.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 9:56pm.

Jason never dies. He's going to come back eventually.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 9:41pm.
LifeMi's picture

Yes, he will; let's just hope Platinum Dunes stays FAR the fuck away from this franchise. I didn't think it could get much worse than Freddy vs. Jason. Boy was I wrong! Their F13 remake ranks with the American Godzilla, Indiana Jones 4 and Zombie's Halloween 2 as my most hated film watching experiences.

Submitted by LifeMi on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 10:03pm.
Vanvance1's picture

You didn't like Freddy vs. Jason?

It was dumb as a sack of hammers but more fun than a roller coaster ride.

Seen it 3 times and it still makes me smile.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 10:20pm.

Freddy vs. Jason was like a comic book. Dumb, over the top, and very fun. Jason fighting Freddy rocked my socks off even if the climax was a cop out.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 10:22pm.
LifeMi's picture

The fight was really really good and fun, but the movie as a whole? Total piece of shit. Then again, I'll gladly take it over the remake. Personally, I would love to see Jason in the snow. It'd be something we haven't seen before. And while I hated the remake with a passion, I'd be just fine with seeing Derek Mears back as Jason.

Submitted by LifeMi on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 1:08am.
Floydian Trip's picture

What was wrong with Indiana Jones?

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 10:12pm.

I didn't mind Indy 4. Not amazing, but still watchable.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 10:13pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

I don't get how people seem to think any of the Indiana Jones movies were some kind of masterpieces. Indy 4 was as enjoyable as Raiders and Crusade to me. I absolutely hated Temple though. That annoying little kid ruined the movie and it also created the PG-13 rating which does it's best to ruin everything else.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 10:19pm.
LifeMi's picture

Floydian hates Temple of Doom? Another movie from 1984 he hates! I personally dig Temple, but it was the weakest of the first three. Raiders is great and Last Crusade is great. I'd rather not talk about Crystal Skull.

Submitted by LifeMi on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 1:11am.

The Indiana Jones movies are masterpieces save part four.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 10:20pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Ah, I suppose lighting coming out of the Ark of the Covenant and killing everyone was somehow brilliant to you.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 10:28pm.

Melting people's faces off?! That shit was fucking brutal! I love it! Hey he said not to open your eyes, so that's their own fault.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 04/21/2010 - 10:31pm.