Does The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn FINALLY Have a Director?

Does The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn FINALLY Have a Director?We're getting a little tired of the rumor mill continuously working overtime on the fourth and possibly fifth installments of The Twilight Saga, but if the latest news can be believed, Summit is close to making an announcement as to who will be directing Breaking Dawn and whether it will one (3D) film or two.

Deadline NY reports that Oscar and Bram Stoker Award winning Bill Condon (for his Gods and Monsters screenplay) "has emerged as the number one choice to direct the final two installments." The operative word here being "two" installments.

Deadline continues, "Shooting will begin in the fall, and I heard the plan is to shoot two films back to back. That was just what my colleague Nikki Finke reported. She also wrote that Summit was looking for a big director, and Dreamgirls and Gods and Monsters director Condon certainly fits that bill. Presumably, Condon would do this as his next project and push back the picture he had planned to direct. That’s an adaptation of Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, which he was putting together to be distributed by Fox Searchlight...The Twilight job came open when The Twilight Saga: New Moon director Chris Weitz decided not to reprise, despite directing a film that grossed $707 million worldwide, almost doubling the Catherine Hardwicke-directed original's $385 million worldwide gross."

We'll believe it when we hear it from Summit, but in the meantime it's sounding pretty likely. Keep it here for more.

- Debi Moore

Pick who you'd like to direct below or in the Dread Central forums.

Foywonder's picture

You forgot to mention that before Gods and Monsters Bill Condon also directed Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh.

Submitted by Foywonder on Wed, 04/07/2010 - 5:51pm.
moderator I'm sure it's that solid
Debi Moore's picture

I'm sure it's that solid genre cred Condon brings to the table having directed that masterpiece that has Summit so fired up to hire him.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Wed, 04/07/2010 - 7:32pm.
LifeMi's picture

Can we just pretend they never made sequels to Candyman?

Submitted by LifeMi on Wed, 04/07/2010 - 6:07pm.
Amen.
FireRam's picture

Amen.

Submitted by FireRam on Wed, 04/07/2010 - 6:17pm.
Mr. Dark's picture

The long national nightmare is finally over.

Submitted by Mr. Dark on Wed, 04/07/2010 - 5:18pm.

Agreed Mr. Dark. First Haiti, then Chile, and now finding directors for the shittiest film series ever created? Man, I'm so glad this crisis is ending.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 04/07/2010 - 6:53pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

It's far from over for us readers of DC. This only means more news of screenplay, casting, pre-production, production, post-production for two movies and then right into whatever movie their gonna adapt from her bullshit next. Of course any new novellas and books and their covers will be interspersed throughout all that.

The crisis has hardly begun. Not only is this THE #1 horror site on the internet but it's also the #1 site for everything Stephanie Meyer and Twilight. Woohoo.

I just hope that every now and then they find time to slip in news of the Alien Prequel. I know it's not their target audience anymore but there's a couple people interested in it at least.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Wed, 04/07/2010 - 7:22pm.
FireRam's picture

I am very much looking forward to the Alien Prequel. Yesterday JASON X was discussed briefly amongst a few of us and I have come to a conclusion (basically because I had a dream of this occuring). I now would like to see a JASON X vs. ALIEN movie. How sweet would it have been if during Jason X while he was slashing the F outta the little teenagers in space all of a sudden, behind him while he was standing behind a victim with his machete still stuck through his/her gut.....arose an Alien. Game on!

Submitted by FireRam on Wed, 04/07/2010 - 7:31pm.
Vanvance1's picture

Holy crap, that so works for me!

But lets push it up a notch... Lets get Freddy in there too, and the horror icons have to take on the Alien Queen!

P.S. In the bad news department, not one, but TWO more shitty Twilight movies because Summit has realized they can milk more bucks from retarded teens this way.

Maybe Freddy and Jason vs. Stephanie Myers.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Wed, 04/07/2010 - 9:17pm.
FireRam's picture

I had no doubt in my mind they were going to go with two movies, just like they announced they were going to do with "The Deathly Hallows". Financially, it JUST makes sense.

NOW(back to real horror): If you're on board for JASON X vs. ALIEN, can I get a vote for SPAWN vs. PREDATOR!!!!!

Submitted by FireRam on Wed, 04/07/2010 - 9:32pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Jason X is my favorite F13th movie. But as cool as you think it sounds I have to be protective of my favorite monster. They worked around me with AvP but I can assure you there will be no more of that.

Besides, Jason wouldn't stand a chance against an Alien. You have to be intelligent in order to survive and he just doesn't have a whole lot going on upstairs.

There is Batman v Joker v Alien v Predator which is about as good as it gets with a vs movie.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Thu, 04/08/2010 - 7:22am.
Vanvance1's picture

I'm not sure Jason (from Jason X) is all that 'dumb'. I think he's functional enough to possess a sort of animal cunning. He prefers to be direct but can apply an oblique approach if the prey requires it.

I think he could hack apart quite a few Aliens and even give them some serious problems before they took him down (though he is supernatural, so who knows how long the Aliens could keep him on ice).

Either way it'd be a hell of a better movie than the last F13 which was passable but a return to generic for the series.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Thu, 04/08/2010 - 9:41pm.
FireRam's picture

LOL. I see your passion for the ALIEN franchise. It was more of a passing thought than a plea to see the movie made. BUT-just for conversation sake, Jason, can not be killed. You just can NOT kill that mother f. He always (no matter how absurd) comes back to afterlife. Now, we're talking Jason in space with nano technology involved. In this case I believe being indestructable trumps level of intelligence. It's a huge plus that no matter how dumb you are you just can not be destroyed lol. Just sayin'

So....what about SPAWN vs. Predator? I guess I just really want to see a new SPAWN movie. R of course and evil as hell. I am an adult now and have lost my passion for comics (collected many as a youth, I was in my prime collecting years when Marvel did the "mutant massacre" and there were tie ins to several names involved) but I still have a love of SPAWN. And THE CROW.

Submitted by FireRam on Thu, 04/08/2010 - 12:17pm.