Does the Fright Night Remake Have its Charley Brewster?

Does the Fright Night Remake Have its Charley Brewster?And the first bit of possible casting news for the remake of Fright Night has hit the Net, and we have to say it's not too shabby. Has DreamWorks found this generation's Charley Brewster? Read on for more!

According to the THR Heat Vision Blog, Anton Yelchin (Chekov in last year’s Star Trek movie and Kyle Reese in Terminator Salvation) is in negotiations for the part of Brewster, who is keeping his same name from the original 1985 version of the film. As we reported previously, Lars and the Real Girl's Craig Gillespie has officially signed on to take the directorial reins and will be shooting from a script by Marti Noxon ("Buffy the Vampire Slayer"). Michael De Luca and Alison Rosenzweig are producing.

Per Heat Vision the remake sticks to the concept of a teen being convinced that his new neighbor is a vampire, although no one will believe him.

Keep it here for more on Fright Night as it comes.

Hunt vampires in the Dread Central forums!

rotnpumpkin's picture

Also....and just go with it for a moment...Robert Downey Jr. as Jerry Dandridge might work as well...

Hmmm.

*************
mine:
thepumpkinhollow.blogspot.com

his:
pumpkinrot.com

Submitted by rotnpumpkin on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 8:57pm.
rotnpumpkin's picture

Yea...Sam Worthington is too young.

I wonder how Hugh Jackman would do as Jerry. Besides mysterious and sexy, the actor will have to be able to be scary too. I mean, Chris Sarandon was frightening as Jerry Dandridge.

And whoever plays Peter Vincent has to be able to pull off scared, cowardly, and endearing.

***********
mine:
thepumpkinhollow.blogspot.com

his:
pumpkinrot.com

Submitted by rotnpumpkin on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 8:42pm.
Spaceshark's picture

I don't know if this makes sense, but as much as I'd enjoy seeing Hugh Jackman aggressively attempt to digest a handsome young man's bodily fluids, casting him would make it look like High Jackman playing a vampire and not Jerry Dandridge. I'd prefer someone with a little less star power, or at least someone who turns into the character instead of overshadowing one. Jude Law perhaps?

Submitted by Spaceshark on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 9:42pm.
Spaceshark's picture

He's young, but I can see Brandon Routh as Jerry. Or at least his manservant. He can certainly work that scarf.

Submitted by Spaceshark on Wed, 04/07/2010 - 12:42am.
rotnpumpkin's picture

Also, I know what you mean about star power. And that could happen with Hugh Jackman.

I'm just gonna keep wracking my brain. (As if it makes a difference....you know they'll probably screw this one up too. Another one for the pile of unfortunate remakes.)

************
mine:
thepumpkinhollow.blogspot.com

his:
pumpkinrot.com

Submitted by rotnpumpkin on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 10:40pm.
rotnpumpkin's picture

I can see the potential with Jude Law...but he'd need to be at least 10 years older. I think the actor has got to be in his mid-forties.

*********
mine:
thepumpkinhollow.blogspot.com

his:
pumpkinrot.com

Submitted by rotnpumpkin on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 10:27pm.

Jude Law? I don't see it. For me Dandridge has to look sophisticated but possess an everyman presence that doesn't make him stand out from everyone else. Law doesn't have that.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 9:50pm.
FireRam's picture

Jude Law. Not bad. Could work.

Submitted by FireRam on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 9:49pm.

I like the notion of Yelchin as Brewster but the odds of me watching this are slim to none.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 8:33pm.
Spaceshark's picture

Chekhov looks like a 15 year old mega lesbian.

I want the old dude from Babe to play Vincent. He looks all refined and shit.

As for Jerry Dandridge... anyone but Sam Worthington.

Submitted by Spaceshark on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 8:31pm.
rotnpumpkin's picture

I'm not down with a Fright Night remake either. But I too am okay with this guy as Charley Brewster. The real challenge (in my opinion) will be Jerry Dandridge. You can't go the way of the traditional Hollywood remake and cast someone young, slick, and sexy in it. It will have to be an older man who can pull off mysterious and sexy - and those actors are out there, but will they cast them? And who will be Peter Vincent? (Ian Holmes would be on my list). I'd really be interested in hearing people's casting ideas.

Anyone?

***********
mine:
thepumpkinhollow.blogspot.com

his:
pumpkinrot.com

Submitted by rotnpumpkin on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 8:18pm.
Vanvance1's picture

I hope this runs into serious production problems and never gets made. Noxon couldn't even turn out a decent Buffy script; giving her a classic to mangle is the act of a horribly clueless studio.

Leave it alone.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 6:08pm.