Bill Murray -- The Problem With Ghostbusters 3?

Bill Murray -- The Problem With Ghostbusters 3?We've all heard the talk, the rumors, the this, the that, and everything in between; yet, the question beckons ... what the hell is up with Ghostbusters 3? Will it ever happen? Some more finger pointing has been done regarding the reason for the holdups, and now said fingers are all pointing straight at star Bill Murray.

During his regular appearance on The Howard Stern show to play his gossip game, National Enquirer columnist Mike Walker dropped the following news on fans. Thanks to Bloody Disgusting for the handy transcribing!

"Dan Aykroyd called 'ol pal and Ghostbusters co-star Bill Murry and snarled 'stop acting like a jerk'," Walker reported. "Murray, despite agreeing to doing the film, has suddenly turned so cranky and mean, he refuses to answer phone calls."

Said a source, "Producers gave Bill script approval needed for his cooperation, but that can't even seem to get him on the phone to talk about the script. He's even told 'em that his character needs to be killed off in the opening minutes of the film."

Of course this could all very much be more lip service, but we shall see.

We be fast and they be slow in the Dread Central forums!

Floydian Trip's picture

Despite loving the cast I've somehow never been able to make it through the first one.

Just watch Lost In Translation instead and pretends it's Ghostbusters.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 6:32pm.
LifeMi's picture

You must have something against the year 1984, since you don't like Elm Street or Ghostbusters. That being said, Lost In Translation is incredible so I'll give you some credit there.

Submitted by LifeMi on Sat, 04/03/2010 - 8:56am.
Floydian Trip's picture

Don't forget Children of the Corn which I believe has more sequels to it than any other film in history. Haha.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sat, 04/03/2010 - 12:09pm.
LifeMi's picture

I can understand not liking Children of the Corn and I already know you don't like Elm Street, but please for the love of god explain what is wrong with Ghostbusters.

Submitted by LifeMi on Sat, 04/03/2010 - 1:31pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

I don't know that there's anything particularly wrong with it. I get about halfway through and completely lose interest in it evcery single time. Hell, it's on all the time around here. My gf is a huge Ghostbusters fan. I think Caddyshack in funnier.

I do hate that damn song though.

EDIT 2

Also, going by the VO he did for the videgame I don't think he gives a shit about this character anymore. Maybe it's better there isn't a new movie if his heart isn't gonna be in it.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sat, 04/03/2010 - 2:39pm.
LifeMi's picture

Bill Murray has become an enigma to me. I love the majority of the man's films but the man himself seems to be a total prick. The longer this goes on, the less likely this movie will get made. It just doesn't like Murray is interested in it anymore, especially since he keeps saying that Venkman has to die early on.

Submitted by LifeMi on Sat, 04/03/2010 - 6:31pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

But why do you see that as a bad thing? He's a great actor and is in it for more than a paycheck. Do you want a sequel so bad that you'd want to watch these guys phone in their performances? I respect and love Bill Murray. He's done some goofy movies lately but overall I think he's kind of asceneded to a whole 'nother level. I wouldn't expect him to want to make a sequel to Stripes at this point either.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sat, 04/03/2010 - 6:59pm.

Ascended to a whole nother level? You know this is the guy who voiced a computer animated cat in TWO movies right?

This is also the guy who got in to a fist fight with Lucy Liu.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Sat, 04/03/2010 - 7:06pm.
LifeMi's picture

Kudos. I love and respect Bill Murray, but I don't love what he's become. It just seems like ever since he lost the Best Actor Oscar to Sean Penn, he's become an asshole. Just like so many other greats from the 1980s, Murray has become a shadow of his former self. Just look at all of his post-Lost in Translation films for proof. Furthermore Floydian, I never said I wanted a Ghostbusters 3 in any way, shape or form. I'd be perfectly fine without a third film. The first one is a classic that everybody loves (except you, Floydian) and I personally love the second one, even despite its flaws.

Submitted by LifeMi on Sat, 04/03/2010 - 8:05pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that doesn't think Ghostbusters is the bees knees.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sun, 04/04/2010 - 1:44pm.

I think Ed Harris explained films like that best by stating that he does a paycheck film so he can afford to do two or three art films that inspire and challenge him as an actor. I see Murray being that type of guy. He does Garfield so he can afford to work with a Jim Jarmusch on Broken Flowers or whatever goofiness Wes Anderson is up to.

Submitted by AngryChairr on Sat, 04/03/2010 - 7:59pm.

Obviously, but it just kind of bugs me when people refer to Bill Murray as the be all and end all of actors when in reality he's not. He was in a lot of awful movies, so he's not a flawless actor.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Sat, 04/03/2010 - 8:31pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Where did anyone say anything like that?

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sat, 04/03/2010 - 10:00pm.

I believe the phrase was "ascended to a whole nother level." How is that possible when eating an egg off the ground in a movie about animated germs?
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Sat, 04/03/2010 - 10:07pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

What I meant was that he's showing more sides to himself now than just being funny but I definitely don't watch everything he's in. As I sais he's been in some goofy movies lately but he always has.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sun, 04/04/2010 - 8:59am.
Floydian Trip's picture

Exactely. And I like Bill Murray doing art films. I think he's really pushing himself alot further than just being a funny guy.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sat, 04/03/2010 - 8:21pm.
PelusaMG's picture

*Pushing aside Murray's ego* - Move away loser, there's a movie to be made!

Submitted by PelusaMG on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 4:47pm.

The more problems that arise, the more I become less interested in a third film. If some of the original actors aren't interested, they shouldn't be pushed into it.

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 4:47pm.
Didn't See It Coming's picture

Can't say I really care if this movie is ever made. The second one was terrible.

Submitted by Didn't See It Coming on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 4:19pm.

What he said.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 4:23pm.
LifeMi's picture

I love Ghostbusters 2. It's certainly not the original, but it's still a really good movie.

Submitted by LifeMi on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 5:02pm.
Cinemascribe's picture

Yeah LifeMi, I agree. Didn't think it was as good as the original, but I liked GBII a lot nonetheless.

"I'm saying that I'm an insect who dreamt he was a man...and loved it. But now the dream is over..and the insect is awake." - Seth Brundle

Submitted by Cinemascribe on Sun, 04/04/2010 - 12:02am.