Oscars 2010: Paranormal Activity Spoof and Salute to Horror Intro'd by the Twilight Kids

The 2010 Oscars provided an interesting show to say the least ... if only because our beloved genre finally got some of the recognition that it so richly deserves.

Roger Corman was present and acknowledged by the crowd as an Honorary Oscar recipient, and both Bob Murawski of Grindhouse Releasing and Kathryn Bigelow (Near Dark) took home the gold for their respective editing and directorial work on the acclaimed flick The Hurt Locker.

It was an extremely good night for horror all around punctuated by a Paranormal Activity spoof starring hosts Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin as well as The Twilight Saga's Taylor Lautner and Kristen Stewart introducing a long overdue "Salute to Horror".

Miss the show? Check out the interesting bits below courtesy of YouTube and a camera handy viewer.

Discuss our genre in the Dread Central forums

Floydian Trip's picture

Disregarding The Silence of the Lambs is what had me yelling at the screen. As WIB said it swept the Oscars. I can kind of see why they would also fail to mention Rick Baker winning an Oscar for An American Werewolf in London but I'm sure to aspiring make-up effects artists that was also a glaring omission.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Mon, 03/08/2010 - 3:55pm.
Heather Buckley's picture

I know some you guys have already read it, but there is a link in my article to a BLOG on FACEBOOK that goes over the history of horror at the Oscars. It is pretty awesome.

Submitted by Heather Buckley on Mon, 03/08/2010 - 5:19pm.
moderator What's the most ridiculous
Debi Moore's picture

What's the most ridiculous is how they disregarded Silence of the Lambs sweeping the Oscars in 1992, instead saying how it's been 36 years since The Exorcist, and then they include clips of Clarice and Lecter. Confused much?

Submitted by Debi Moore on Mon, 03/08/2010 - 3:31pm.

That horror tribute was boring. It's always the same clips for the same movies over and over. Where's stuff like Dawn of the Dead, or Demons?

And I laughed when they showed a clip of Twilight. Yeah, when I think of horror I think of Psycho, Halloween, and Twilight.

And if they really wanted to pay tribute to horror, they would have had Romero or Corman presenting the montage, not a young actor who will be out of style in a year, and a young actress who sold her potential down the river to become a Tiger Beat idol.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 03/08/2010 - 3:25pm.
FireRam's picture

That's right up there with meeting someone and asking them if they are into horror and their reply is "Oh yes, I can't wait until the next Twilight movie comes out". It has happened to me, and I just looked at her eyes glazed in an ever so confused state, and for the first time ever in my always sarcastic quick with rebuttal life....I was speechless.

Submitted by FireRam on Mon, 03/08/2010 - 7:05pm.
Vanvance1's picture

They don't give a flying fuck about horror.

I return the favour by not giving a flying fuck about the academy awards.

They had one sane year in their history, 1992 when Unforgiven won best picture.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Mon, 03/08/2010 - 6:17pm.

1992 was one of the few years where the Best Picture winner was well deserved. Unforgiven is a mindblowing western.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 03/08/2010 - 7:06pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Unforgiven is amazing and seemed like it might just reverse all the damage done by Heaven's Gate. I like a whole lotta films that won Best Picture but not Fargo. I didn't get that one.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Mon, 03/08/2010 - 6:37pm.

I loved Fargo. It was my introduction to the Coen brothers.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 03/08/2010 - 7:06pm.
Heather Buckley's picture

Dude where was TerrorVision and Cannibal Holocaust?!

Submitted by Heather Buckley on Mon, 03/08/2010 - 5:20pm.
Haha, I know.

Haha, I know.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 03/08/2010 - 5:32pm.
tedge1979's picture

TWILIGHT is a phenomenon that does not cater to horror fans. It serves as a stepping stone for pre-teens to transition from Sweet Valley High and Goosebumps to something a little edgier without staying too far from a youthful formula. While they're certainly not my kind of movie, they're not supposed to be.

These movies make hundreds of millions of dollars because they cater to a very specific demographic. TWILIGHT isn't killing horror any more than Barney is destroying JURASSIC PARK. They are their own products, and if TWILIGHT can get even one kid to start liking vampires - I've got absolutely not issue with them.

But not to stray too far off-topic, I thought the tribute to horror was very good, with some really wonderful picks. I was a little disappointed to see Hammer left out in the cold (as well as most other foreign films), but hey - seeing Amy Steel on the Oscar telecast was certainly an unexpected treat.

Submitted by tedge1979 on Mon, 03/08/2010 - 10:26am.
Heather Buckley's picture

Hollywood will invest in whatever will make them money and guarantee success. Hence remakes and PG-13 horror. They want to get at THAT audience. When Twilight makes so much money, there will be more and more films like it.

I don't know how Hollywood defines horror anymore, but I did see those two Twilight kids introin' the HORROR montage. And if it is going to that way, the hardcore audience has to support independents and put their dollars where they may when it comes to Hollywood.

As for what Twilight is... dark fantasy with some horror (that is supernatural) elements. I think with genre it is more about hand grenades than horseshoes.

Submitted by Heather Buckley on Mon, 03/08/2010 - 1:54pm.
Cash Bailey's picture

So to a billion people TWILIGHT now represents the horror genre.

Submitted by Cash Bailey on Mon, 03/08/2010 - 4:25am.
Vanvance1's picture

Numbers don't make something true.

At one time millions believed the world was flat. It isn't.

The only people who think Twilight represents horror haven't read or seen any of the real thing.

Twilight is a trend. One so large that even DC embarrasses itself by jumping aboard the bandwagon. Like all trends it will pass. And like most all poor art it will, over time, fade into obscurity. Granted this may take a while, but eventually the shit settles to the bottom.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Mon, 03/08/2010 - 4:36am.
Vanvance1's picture

Who are we kidding? How many horror movies win academy awards? How many great horror directors have been nominated for best director?

Do they even get a tiny bit of consideration? No.

The academy awards is pretentious, boring and decidedly anti-horror.

You don't even see Romero in the audience. Though when he dies he'll probably get a posthumous achievement for Night of the Living Dead.

P.S. The starts of Twilight do not represent horror. The represent bad teen gothic romance.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Mon, 03/08/2010 - 3:13am.

That was speedy, its already been blocked.

Submitted by Minion on Mon, 03/08/2010 - 3:08am.