Todd McFarlane Talks New Spawn Film

Todd McFarlane Talks New Spawn FilmThough talk about a new Spawn movie has been lingering in the ears of fans everywhere for some time now, it appears that creator Todd McFarlane is just about ready to make it happen -- himself!

In a recent interview with Newsarama McFarlane gave the following update:

I’m 80% through the script, I did my due diligence, went around Hollywood,” McFarlane tells the site. “I listened to the pitch from all the big studios, but I just went, ‘nah, I need to make this small and tight and contained.’

And if we keep the budget small, they’ll allow me to do all of that," McFarlane continues. "[But] if you blow up the budget ... and I understand that. I wouldn’t hire me, either. But then I have to give it away. Another option is me just financing it myself. That way I can just ... I own all of it.”

Check out the above link for more. Gonna be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Spawn with others in the Dread Central forums!

FireRam's picture

Make it "R"! Make SPAWN the evil, rip 'em the F up character that he is, give me blood, guts, and a cool ass SPAWN, and i'm there. Spawn is my favorite comic character of my "adulthood".

Submitted by FireRam on Fri, 03/05/2010 - 5:37pm.
DavidFullam's picture

Wasn't this film going to be "Spawn, but without a Spawn?"

Submitted by DavidFullam on Thu, 03/04/2010 - 2:31pm.

Yeah they were going to focus entirely on the two detectives of the story with Spawn basically becoming a secondary element who acts as more of a plot element instead of a main character. That would have been terrible.

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 03/04/2010 - 3:04pm.
Sirand's picture

I think I've read this headline on horror websites every six months for the past 10 years.

Submitted by Sirand on Thu, 03/04/2010 - 1:34am.

The problem is Todd McFarland is a shit writer too. SPAWN is over.
When writers like Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison,and Ed Brubaker are out there doing staggering work, McFarland comes off as one thing...outdated.

Submitted by The Butcher on Thu, 03/04/2010 - 12:25am.
Floydian Trip's picture

Spawn is the most badass character in comics period. Bring it!

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Thu, 03/04/2010 - 12:06am.

"it appears that creator Todd McFarlane is just about ready to make it happen -- himself!"

Yeah, and he's been saying that exact same thing since judt about the day after the original movie opened.

It's at the point where I can't imagine anyone but the most die hard fan even giving a damn about it.

A sequel to that POS movie? Meh, I'll give it a rent when/if it finally gets is direct-to-video release...

Submitted by G.D. on Wed, 03/03/2010 - 10:22pm.

Anything will be better than the Spawn from the nineties. That was a sheer monstrosity. Embarrassing all around.

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 03/03/2010 - 9:59pm.