The Thing F/X Team Revealed!

The Thing F/X Team revealed! (click for larger image)If there's one key element that's important to whether or not The Thing prequel will be successful, it is who will be handling the film's special effects.

The original John Carpenter classic still sports some of the most impressive physical effects ever seen, and we're all fairly tense about if the new film will go the CGI route instead. Thankfully, the team behind the creatures has been revealed, and we are in good hands.

Variety reports that Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff, Jr., of Amalgamated Dynamics, Inc,, are handling FX duties on The Thing for Universal.

These guys have been making monsters for years, and if we can't have Rob Bottin back at the helm, we're pretty confident in the work of the folks who brought us such creatures as Alien, Predator, the graboids from Tremors, and the many bugs from Starship Troopers.

Matthijs Van Heijningen's prequel starring Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Joel Edgerton begins filming in Toronto on March 15th.

Synopsis
A Ph.D. candidate (Winstead) joins a Norwegian research team in Antarctica after it discovers an alien ship in the ice. When a trapped organism is freed and begins a series of attacks, she is forced to team with a blue-collar mercenary helicopter pilot (Edgerton) to stop the rampage.

Find out who's human in the Dread Central forums

Woo-hoo! At least there is something to cheer about regarding this film...

Submitted by PelusaMG on Fri, 02/26/2010 - 2:32am.
Vanvance1's picture

The Thing is probably the most perfect monster movie I have ever seen. The creature effects have never been surpassed (and I've seen a LOT of horror and sf flicks).

No matter what these guys do they can't possibly match the perfection of Carpenter's work and they are silly to try.

P.S. My 2nd fave monster flick of all time is The Descent.

P.P.S. Bottin also created the definitive Werewolf f/x with The Howling.

P.P.P.S. Aside from The Descent Marshall also made Dog Soldiers, the best Werewolf movie since The Howling.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Thu, 02/25/2010 - 8:27pm.
jkincer's picture

This may be the most pointless cash-in ever. JC's The Thing already has a terrific sequel via the video game release a few years ago. After all these years and countless 'prequels' and 'sequels' I would like to think that producers and studios would learn that THE MORE YOU KNOW ABOUT A MONSTER, THE LESS SCARY IT IS.

Submitted by jkincer on Thu, 02/25/2010 - 8:21pm.

When I was young I thought that figure on the cover was of the actual monster. I never realized until much later that it was someone in a coat with their face skewed to represent the monster's ever changing appearance.

Still not happy about this prequel.

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 02/25/2010 - 7:56pm.
Gareth Jones's picture

The problem with doing a prequel to The Thing like this is that we all know how it ends. I also know, for one, I'll be very pissed off if they don't have the character with the slit throat that MacReady finds sitting in the Norwegian camp.

Submitted by Gareth Jones on Fri, 02/26/2010 - 12:00am.

I will lay down money that they won't stick to continuity. I can almost guarantee it.

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 02/26/2010 - 12:10am.
jkincer's picture

Continuity would imply that this was not a lame attempt to drain a few more bucks out the remake/reimagine/rehash craze of the past few years. I can 100% guarantee that at least one person will live at the end of the movie, even though we already know that the entire is suppose to die.

Submitted by jkincer on Mon, 03/01/2010 - 7:58pm.