Paranormal Activity 2 Directing Gig Attracting Some Big Names

After the mess caused by the yanking of director Kevin Greutert off of the sequel to 2009's mega-hit Paranormal Activity, we've all been left wondering -- who's gonna be steering the ship? The names being thrown about recently are not only promising, they're also a bit shocking!

According to The LA Times the list of frontrunners includes Akiva Goldsman (A Beautiful Mind), Brad Anderson (Session 9), Greg McLean (Rogue), and even Brian DePalma. Yes, you read that right ... Brian fuckin' DePalma!

Who knows where this will lead, but one thing's for sure: Given the quality of the names floating about, Paramount is definitely not playing around here so the odds of us getting another Book of Shadows type sequel debacle seem pretty slim. You know who we'd like to see take a crack at it? Blair Witch co-director Ed Sanchez! Now that would be friggin' nuts! Tell us what YOU think in our comments section below.

Paranormal Activity 2 will be in theatres October 22nd.

Paranormal Activity 2 Directing Gig Attracting Some Big Names

Sell your corpses in the Dread Central forums!

Give it to Brad Anderson. Session 9 was infinitely more creepy than PA. As for Brian De Palma, I'd pass on him. Black Dahlia was awful.

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Thu, 02/25/2010 - 7:47pm.

Hey how about Jeff Burr, haven't seen him in awhile!!

Submitted by filmpatrol on Fri, 02/26/2010 - 4:23pm.

And he'd probably just include a bunch of Hitchcock references.

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 02/25/2010 - 7:57pm.
Tshoffie's picture

I dont understand what people saw in this so called film...it wasnt scary at all and i really didnt find it very intresting either. what more can they do with a sequel not much

Submitted by Tshoffie on Thu, 02/25/2010 - 3:03pm.

I agree, Tshoffie.
It seems a lot of people enjoy horrible, unattractive actors portraying unlikeable characters in a boring story filmed on a camcorder.
PA is crap...pure and simple.

Submitted by Deacon on Fri, 02/26/2010 - 9:57am.

Brad Anderson, hands down. Session 9 was fantastic, and it proves the director can create the atmosphere necessary for a successful PA sequel.

Submitted by hegemon13 on Thu, 02/25/2010 - 11:12am.

"...the odds of us getting another Book of Shadows type sequel debacle seem pretty slim."

True. The debacle was the first film. Couldn't get much shittier.

Submitted by Deacon on Thu, 02/25/2010 - 10:29am.
Vanvance1's picture

Bang on! The original BW film was so bad it still ranks in my top 10 for worst (least enjoyable) movies I have ever seen.

However if the guy DC is suggesting is the guy who did 'Altered' (I know one of the BW directors worked on it) I could accept that. Altered was good fun.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Thu, 02/25/2010 - 2:26pm.

I was referring to PA, but I can see now that my wording was a bit ambiguous.
It's also true, though, that Blair Witch sucked balls.

Submitted by Deacon on Fri, 02/26/2010 - 9:59am.
moderator Yep, Ed did Altered. And
Debi Moore's picture

Yep, Ed did Altered. And also Seventh Moon, which was pretty good, too.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Thu, 02/25/2010 - 2:53pm.
Matt Serafini's picture

If Brian DePalma takes on the sequel, I will be there with bells on.

Submitted by Matt Serafini on Thu, 02/25/2010 - 9:45am.
dawnkatdead's picture

Sanchez would be pretty cool, or Brad Anderson

Submitted by dawnkatdead on Thu, 02/25/2010 - 9:38am.
theGoldenSimatar's picture

Out of that list, maybe Brad Anderson.

Submitted by theGoldenSimatar on Thu, 02/25/2010 - 7:41am.

With directors of that caliber being considered, the sequel will be one in name alone. Watch.

PA is is not a film to base a franchise on, or try to "upgrade" with a serious director.

Submitted by The Butcher on Thu, 02/25/2010 - 5:47am.
I agree.

I agree.

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 02/25/2010 - 5:49am.
FireRam's picture

That makes complete sense. Didn't think of that at first. I believe you are right.

Submitted by FireRam on Thu, 02/25/2010 - 12:11pm.