Anchor Bay Sets Sail Toward Theatrical Release for I Spit on Your Grave Remake

You have got to give it to Anchor Bay, man. They started as a little company double and triple dipping in the DVD market and advanced to releasing films theatrically. What a ride! Fresh off of their success with the release of Adam Green's Frozen, the next horror title they're looking to get into as many theatres as possible will be Steven R. Monroe's remake of I Spit on Your Grave (a.k.a. Day of the Woman for you purists out there).

Anchor Bay Films has picked up rights in the US, Canada, Australia, the UK, and New Zealand to CineTel Films' remake of the 1978 cult film. It will receive a targeted theatrical release in the fall, followed by a DVD release in the first quarter of 2011.

The redux stars Andrew Howard (Devil's Chair, Blood River, Luster), Sarah Butler, Jeff Branson, Chad Lindberg (Push), Daniel Franzese (Killer Pad, War of the Worlds), Rodney Eastman (Joey in A A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3: Dream Warriors and A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 4: The Dream Master), Saxon Sharbino, Amber Dawn Landrum, and Chad Lindberg (Push).

Look for more soon!

Spit on things in the Dread Central forums!

Yeah, rape hasn't always been about me being offended either, I just don't find it too enjoyable to watch. I can't imagine any woman being victimized and violated like that.

The castration scene is brilliant basically because of the way she does it. It is so bad I rarely meet guys who can discuss it without wincing. BTW, I made a list of my favorite movie castrations:

Just thought you'd find it entertaining.

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 02/19/2010 - 12:23am.

This is going to suuuuuuuck. "I Spit on Your Grave" is a classic and I don't think they can find a woman as gorgeous and sadistic as Camille Keaton.

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 02/18/2010 - 1:03pm.
Vanvance1's picture

I watched the original recently and really enjoyed it. The bathtub scene was the high point making the last few kills a touch dissapointing by comparison.

I can't really see the point of a sequel as I feel the 70's vibe really makes the film. That and one of the best titles ever!

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Thu, 02/18/2010 - 4:34am.
moderator Hey it almost worked for

Hey it almost worked for Last House except of course for that fuckin' horrid microwave nonsense.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Thu, 02/18/2010 - 4:41am.
Vanvance1's picture

That could be because Last House (the original) wasn't very good.

I really enjoy some of what Craven has given us but his first movie didn't work for me. Too many 'national geographic' moment.

The remake wasn't memorable in any way either. Definitely did NOT need a remake.

I Spit On Your Grave would be a viable remake if they'd handed the project to the guys who did 'Inside'. Now THAT is how horror violence should be handled!

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Thu, 02/18/2010 - 10:02pm.

Yeah I was extremely disappointed with Last House as well. Over the years I've come to find that most of what Wes Craven has made I've really disliked. I despised that sub-plot with those clumsy cops. It was like watching Abbot and Costello in between a snuff film. Craven clearly was stoned while making that movie.

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 02/18/2010 - 10:18pm.
LifeMi's picture

Not a fan of the original Last House either. As far as the remake, I've never seen it and don't intend to. I used to see I Spit on Your Grave at my local video store when I was a kid (back when they still had VHS) but never had any interest in watching it. In general, I tend not to waste my time on movies about rape but I might give it a try. The remake will probably be either artsy fartsy or Platinum Dunes grittiness, so I'm not expecting much out of that one.

Submitted by LifeMi on Thu, 02/18/2010 - 11:46pm.

LifeMi, Just to warn you there is A LOT of rape in I Spit on Your Grave. I mean it goes on for thirty minutes where this woman is doing nothing but being beaten and raped over and over and over. We see them just ram in to her and she screams in agony. It was quite excruciating at times.

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 02/18/2010 - 11:54pm.
LifeMi's picture

Appreciate the heads up, Terminal. My feelings on film rape isn't out of being offended; I'm hard to offend. It's more just the fact that I look at it and immediately say to myself, "what's the point of that?" I think 95% of the time it's used for shock value and nothing else. A good example would be Irreversible. I never saw the entire movie but I did see the Monica Belluci rape scene and found it excessive for excessiveness' sake. Still, the fact that Camille Keaton castrates one of her rapists just might be enough to make me want to see it. As I said before, I'm not expecting anything good from that remake nor do I have any real plans to see it. The only upcoming remake I'm even remotely interested in is The Crazies.

Submitted by LifeMi on Fri, 02/19/2010 - 12:13am.
Vanvance1's picture

I don't mind a good rape scene. It's a crime that happens in the real world and one that carries a serious emotional charge. If 'I Spit on Your Grave' hadn't had that rape the whole revenge angle wouldn't have worked. Same with 'Sudden Impact', my fave of the Dirty Harry flicks.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Fri, 02/19/2010 - 2:42am.