Universal Thinking 3D Jaws Remake

No matter how much we wanted to deny it, we knew this day would eventually come. Scary rumblings out of Universal today tell of a possible 3D Jaws remake. We're gonna need a bigger barrel. To vomit in.

Let us stress THIS IS VERY MUCH A RUMOR at this point, but according to Cinema Blend:

"A source of ours over at Universal Pictures says the studio is strongly considering a remake of the summer blockbuster in hopes of dazzling younger audiences with new special effects. Their claim is that people now expect more, visually, from their moviegoing experience. So, Hollywood studios are inclined to take some of their tried and true franchise names like Jaws and bring them into the 3D world.

Someone. Please. Shoot us in the face. Really, go ahead. Point blank range. Just set the barrel right here and squeeze.

Universal Thinking 3D Jaws Remake

Say your prayers in the Dread Central forums!

Gus Bjork's picture

After reading this I had a vision of Steve Alton rocking back and forth in a dark room muttering "Meg 3-D Meg 3-D Meg 3-D" while he waits for a phone call that is apparently never going to come.

To a certain extent Jaws is remade frequently, at least as far as a giant shark eating people goes. Lots and lots of giant shark movies. You just have to avoid characters named Quint and such and sidestep around plots that are a little too similar. To my mind that's the only reason there's been, so far, no official remake. Why bother? There's nothing else on any sort of artistic or integrity basis that's kept it from happening as far as I can tell. It's like The Godfather. You can make mafia movies with all these elements and still not have to call it a remake. Considering all the money you spend on rights, all you get in return is the title and maybe the theme. Is that worth it?

The idea of remaking it, overall, sounds lousy. But to remake it as this rumor would have it sounds like a complete joke. Why would you advertise a remake of Jaws as comedic? That doesn't make sense.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Wed, 02/10/2010 - 4:01pm.
Cinemascribe's picture

Exactly.The tone of the concept is all wrong. JAWS is based on a scary, exciting novel by Peter Benchley and is an equally scary and exciting film. People can use whatever adjective they want to describe the film, but at the end of the day, JAWS is a serious, straightforward horror film. It's an almost perfect realization of one of our most primal fears..being eaten alive by a force so powerful that we're being devoured before we even know it's hunting us. The article clearly suggests that they wouldn't be looking for a dramatic turn from Morgan but tapping him for his comedic skills, and I just don't think that approach lends itself to a remake of this particular material. The humor that did exist in the orignal JAWS wasn't forced. It grew organcially from the characters as they achieved definition throughout the film and was used sparingly to help the audience actually empathize with their circumstances. Deliberate attempts at humor, on the other hand, would sink it. If they want to go that route, just do a flat out parody and leave the legacy of the original untarnished

Submitted by Cinemascribe on Thu, 02/11/2010 - 1:20am.
Cash Bailey's picture

I don't imagine, for a second, that Spielberg would let that happen.

If he did I'd never watch another one of his films. Except for TINTIN, of course.

Submitted by Cash Bailey on Wed, 02/10/2010 - 2:21am.

Spielberg didn't have control over the sequels, why would he have control over whether the movie is remade or not? The man wanted a sequel done by the story Quint tells in the boat, but instead the studios just wanted to regurgitate the first movie all over again and Spielberg couldn't do a damn thing about it.

And let's face it, when all is said and done there's going to be a TON of execs saying "No this isn't a remake, it's more of a loyal adaptation of the book."

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 02/10/2010 - 3:04am.
krawlingkhaos's picture

Because we all love our killer sharks with a side of love-triangles.

Submitted by krawlingkhaos on Wed, 02/10/2010 - 6:01pm.
frank_dracman's picture

At the risk of being throttled by Terminal, really guys, who didn't see this coming? And if it's only a rumor for now, you can bet your shark-bitten ass there will eventually be a remake. As long as the drones pay to see this stuff they will continue to pillage and rape any and all classic movies. I'm waiting for the announcement of a new Frankenstein movie with Sam Worthington as the creature. Ugh.

Submitted by frank_dracman on Tue, 02/09/2010 - 9:43pm.

You've avoided a throttling. For now. :-P

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 02/10/2010 - 3:02am.
The Buz's picture

It can't be true. Can't be.

Submitted by The Buz on Tue, 02/09/2010 - 4:35pm.
moderator Stage 1. Denial.

Stage 1. Denial.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Tue, 02/09/2010 - 7:52pm.
LifeMi's picture

Stage 2. Profanity-Laced Anger.

Submitted by LifeMi on Tue, 02/09/2010 - 8:09pm.
Rob's picture

Step 3. Alcohol. Lots of alcohol.

Submitted by Rob on Tue, 02/09/2010 - 8:11pm.
Styling Shatner's picture

Stage 4: Searching online to find someone to build an A-Bomb to drop on Hollywood.

I figured this was going to happen eventually, given all the properties that have been remade or rumored or scheduled to be remade soon. So, even this was going to get it, as much as it does not need one.

But, making it "lighthearted" and having Tracy Morgan in a key role... cue the Price Is Right Fail Horn. Personally, I am not a fan of his mush-mouth style of "comedy" or "humor" so that is downright depressing.

Still, it's only a rumor so I won't worry too much about it until it's officially announced.

Submitted by Styling Shatner on Tue, 02/09/2010 - 10:43pm.
Rorschach's picture

I'm just...in a state of shock and disbelief, Buz. I can believe that they'd want to investigate the possibility of reviving the JAWS franchise (based on how well Piranha-3D does) but the Tracy Morgan shit...that just SCREAMS "tacked on by someone who wanted people to freak the FUCK out about this rumor".

Submitted by Rorschach on Tue, 02/09/2010 - 7:24pm.
Emilie Noetzel's picture

So they too watched Back To The Future Part II this weekend and felt like we could at least reach one of the things showed in the Future in this movie...

Submitted by Emilie Noetzel on Tue, 02/09/2010 - 3:38pm.
Cinemajedi's picture

Oh. Dear. God.
Tracy Morgan? Why not go full blown into a shit pile Universal? Hire Paul W. S. Anderson to write and direct, Mila Jovovich to play Brody, Ludacris to play Quint and Ben Affleck can play the fucking shark!!!! Can't .....talk.... Aneurysm.....causing.......blackout.......

Submitted by Cinemajedi on Tue, 02/09/2010 - 2:22pm.
Rorschach's picture

Y'arr. This'll replace the whale in me nightmares.

But seriously....if a shred of this is true, Universal just replaced Rob Zombie as "horror cinema public enemy #1". Hell this sounds like it's going to make Zombie's HALLOWEEN attempts look like modern masterpieces that were each directed by Scorsese, Coppola, and Speilberg simultaneously.

Jesus.

Submitted by Rorschach on Tue, 02/09/2010 - 3:23pm.
LivingDeadPunk's picture

Eh. It might not be so bad. Tracie Morgan is funny and I like special effects. I think... I think this is gonna be awesome.

Submitted by LivingDeadPunk on Tue, 02/09/2010 - 10:32am.
Floydian Trip's picture

I'll take that as sarcasm. Jaws IS funny but it doesn't have funny people in it which is what makes it so funny.

I have yet to see a good CGI shark and I don't think I ever will.

They can make this movie because short of destroying Universal there's nothing anyone can do. Not even Spielberg can stop this one. I love Universal though so I think burning it down is a bad idea. As misguided as they are now.

Killing producers is a much better idea.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Tue, 02/09/2010 - 12:30pm.
LivingDeadPunk's picture

Yeah. I was being an ass. Remaking Jaws is a horrible idea that kind of makes me feel ill.

Submitted by LivingDeadPunk on Wed, 02/10/2010 - 8:02pm.
krawlingkhaos's picture

You'll never get anywhere killing one be at a time, you've got to take out the whole fucking hive in one fell swoop.

Of course, if we burn down Universal, then the rights'll go up for auction and someone else will just buy them and remake it. Fuck!

If this rumor is true, the only light at the end of the tunnel is that hopefully we'll get a really sweet Blu-ray of the original. Then I can watch that instead of going to the theaters.

Submitted by krawlingkhaos on Wed, 02/10/2010 - 5:58pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

I don't even think kids want this movie remade. Everyone I know from 6 years old and up loves the original. And yeah, they did it in 3D already and it blew chum.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Tue, 02/09/2010 - 10:13am.
PelusaMG's picture

They already did Jaws 3D - It sucked... Moving on!

Submitted by PelusaMG on Tue, 02/09/2010 - 9:18am.
krawlingkhaos's picture

Someone hand me my torch and pitchfork; its time to burn Hollywood to the ground.

Submitted by krawlingkhaos on Tue, 02/09/2010 - 8:55am.
Cinemascribe's picture

Let's break down where this goes wrong:

-"A source of ours over at Universal Pictures says the studio is strongly considering a remake of the summer blockbuster in hopes of dazzling younger audiences with new special effects."

Really? JAWS is being geared for younger audiences now? Because the last time I checked, it was the ultimate Man vs Nature story about an adult forced into a life and death confrontation with the most savage predator inhabiting earths oceans ..on the predators' terms. Yeah..let's gear THAT story towards kids and toss in a lot of nice, shiny CGI effects for appeal. Fuck,man. Just...fuck......

"Their claim is that people now expect more, visually, from their movie going experience. So, Hollywood studios are inclined to take some of their tried and true franchise names like Jaws and bring them into the 3D world."

Don't focus on, y'know, the STORY or anything. Why do we need to give a shit about the characters before they're threatened with ichthyological ingestion? I mean, it isn't as if really adds anything to a movie when it matters whether or not someone lives or dies.

"Our insider says Tracy Morgan was at one point being considered for the part of Matt Hooper, previously played by Richard Dreyfuss. While it’s uncertain whether that’s still the plan, it does indicate that they seem to be taking a more comedic direction with the part."

Yep, that's what this series needs after Jaws 3-D and Jaws the Revenge..something else to laugh at.

I'm not sure when mollusks commandeered the head offices at Universal, but it's all been downhill since.

Submitted by Cinemascribe on Tue, 02/09/2010 - 8:07am.
Didn't See It Coming's picture

When they say "younger audiences" I don't think mean kids. I'm pretty sure they mean the audiences that are the same age as the audience when Jaws first came out. Or new audiences.

Submitted by Didn't See It Coming on Tue, 02/09/2010 - 10:00am.

The first person who says "What's the big deal? The original will still be there" gets punched in the throat. Punched in the throat!

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 02/09/2010 - 6:20am.

Sory but I'm going to say it. The original will still be there and this will not hurt it by any means. That being said this sounds like a total piece of shit. I'm not completely against a remake (probably about 20 percent of me). I'd rather see a sequel if they absolutely must do another Jaws though. As far as the 3D goes, yes it's been done before but that was with the crappy red and blue bullshit so it doesn't count. I will not even attempt to watch this if Tracy Morgan is going to be in it.

Submitted by thedarkestshadow on Wed, 02/10/2010 - 7:42pm.
You die now!!

You die now!!

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 02/10/2010 - 7:49pm.
PelusaMG's picture

Whatever they do, the original... (*Sound of gagging as throat is punched*)

Submitted by PelusaMG on Tue, 02/09/2010 - 9:20am.
You die now!!

You die now!!

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 02/10/2010 - 7:49pm.