Official: Hammer Nails Rights for The Woman in Black

For those of you out there unfamiliar with the Susan Hill book or the 1989 TV movie of The Woman in Black, take our advice and track them down immediately. You won't be sorry! We're talking some really scary stuff here, man! Even better? A new version from Hammer Films is officially on its way!

Following up on our original story out of AFM, according to Variety Exclusive Media Group's production arm Hammer Films has acquired the feature film rights to Susan Hill's bestselling chiller The Woman in Black.

Up-and-coming Brit helmer James Watkins (Eden Lake) is attached to direct the film, which has been adapted for the screen by Jane Goldman (Kick-Ass, Stardust).

The story revolves around a young lawyer who is ordered to travel to a remote village to take care of a deceased client's papers. The young man glimpses a mysterious woman dressed only in black during his stay, leading to the uncovering of a tragic secret.

No word yet on if this will be filmed in 3D as originally reported (see above link).

Haunt the marshes of the Dread Central forums!

SpaceAce's picture

Woah
Just read that the director of Eden Lake is directing. Im way more positive now.
That film was fuckin great.
I live in Britain, and its VERY plausable, sadly. But yeah, brilliant film, and really suspensful.

Submitted by SpaceAce on Wed, 02/03/2010 - 5:14am.
SpaceAce's picture

The Woman in Black is great. It is really spooky but as a previous poster stated, its perhaps a little too hyped. Go in looking for an old fashioned ghost story and Im sure it'll do the trick.
You can find it on Youtube btw. Not the greatest way to view it I know, but I hear its hard to track down on dvd at a decent price.
The seen in the bedroom....jesus. Thats all Im saying.

wonder what hammer will do with it. I love Hammers clasics, I own em all that are available, but whether they can reclaim that magic is another matter.
Lets hope so.

Submitted by SpaceAce on Wed, 02/03/2010 - 5:11am.

EDEN LAKE was an extremely well made and effective film. That I don't think I'll ever watch it again is actually a complement. I'll watch anything the director of that does next.

Submitted by Caterpillar on Tue, 02/02/2010 - 2:24pm.
FilmCritic3000's picture

Alright, give it to me straight everyone.

Is it true that the ending of the original "The Woman In Black" will give me a very sleepless night? I've heard this endlessly for years now.

Submitted by FilmCritic3000 on Tue, 02/02/2010 - 10:20am.
thebellefromhell's picture

You REALLY should try

and get ahold of a copy of "The Woman in Black". I knew very little about the film when I bought it but I HAD read the book so... And the comments on Amazon.co.uk had me intrigued. Seems the film was shown for Christmas (!!) and traumatized half the country. I don't know about whether the ending of the film will give you sleepless nights although it IS shocking and disturbing. BUT, there are several scenes throughout the movie that will creep you out if not flat out scare the hell out of you.

"Where is the Mr. Pibb? I told your secretary to pack Mr. Pibb. It's the only Coke I like. Goddamn Brenda explodin' like a water balloon, worms drivin' my friends around like they're goddamn skin-cars, people spittin' acid at me, turnin' you into cottage cheese. And now there's no goddamn MR. PIBB???"

Submitted by thebellefromhell on Tue, 02/02/2010 - 4:05pm.
moderator It's pretty darn spooky.
Debi Moore's picture

It's pretty darn spooky. But now that it's been so built up for you, it's hard to tell if it'll be as effective. For a movie like this the less you know and expect, the better.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Tue, 02/02/2010 - 1:35pm.