Paramount and Oren Peli Taking Us to Area 51

Paramount and Oren Peli Taking Us to Area 51Fans of Paranormal Activity have good reason to get excited! Director Oren Peli's next film, Area 51, has found itself some distribution through Paramount, and he'll be working with the same creative force who helped to turn his first film into an absolute phenomenon.

According to Variety the deal puts the studio back in business with the creative and financing team behind "Paranormal Activity," the $11,000 film that's grossed more than $106 million since Par began rolling it out in September. Peli had a much larger budget to work with on this extraterrestrial tale than he did for his ghost story, as sources said he brought the film in at a shade under $5 million.

The film employs the "found footage" narrative structure that Peli used in Paranormal Activity to tell the story of three teens whose curiosity leads them to the notorious Area 51 portion of Nellis Air Force Base in the Nevada desert. Of course all manner of shit-your-pants type spookiness ensues.

Keep your eyes peeled and your butt cheeks tightly clenched. You know how probe happy those pesky aliens can be! Area 51 will find its way into theaters sometime in 2010.

Just try and avoid being probed in the Dread Central forums!

Not sure what

Not sure what liking/disliking a movie has to do with being "cool" or not, and I'm too old to give a fuck what anyone thinks of my opinion..."Paranormal Activity" was awful and unoriginal. There's no reason to think this "Area 51" will be any better. But, I'm sure the fools who threw money at the first film will mindlessly do it again, and they're free to do that. Fortunately, it will help keep the theaters showing decent films less crowded.

Submitted by Deacon on Tue, 12/01/2009 - 7:04am.
RingoJ's picture

Maybe this one will be scary.

Submitted by RingoJ on Mon, 11/30/2009 - 7:42pm.

This will no doubt be another steaming pile for this "director".

Submitted by Deacon on Mon, 11/30/2009 - 8:47am.

I'm actually looking forward to it. It seems like it's getting less and less "cool" to admit liking Paranormal Activity, but i really enjoyed it.

A found footage film involving aliens sounds pretty sweet.

Submitted by TheGamer424 on Mon, 11/30/2009 - 2:24pm.
moderator Fuck that "what's cool"

Fuck that "what's cool" nonsense. Of course the folks who didn't like it will play the whole "I'm the only sane one, and that makes me a rebel card". The only opinion that matters is your own!

Submitted by Steve Barton on Mon, 11/30/2009 - 9:09pm.
RingoJ's picture

The only ones i've seen playing any cards are the ones who got a massive hard-on for the movie. I'm glad you liked it, i'm just pissed off that I didn't. I really wanted to enjoy it, I was looking forward to it since i'd first heard about it a few years ago. I suppose it's another example of hype killing a movie for me.

Submitted by RingoJ on Tue, 12/01/2009 - 9:54pm.
Hear Hear.

Hear Hear.

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 12/01/2009 - 7:11am.