Cloverfield 2 Viral Video?

Few things get me as excited as movies that feature giant monsters wrecking cities. Though the film has taken more than its fair share of criticism, for me Cloverfield delivered on the promise of colossal-sized creature action. Here we are two years removed, and a little video has surfaced over on YouTube (where else?) giving us a taste of what could be the next installment of the franchise.

But the question beckons ... it this really the first viral video for the Clovey sequel, or is it just a fan-made short that's designed to garner attention. Truthfully? We'd settle for either. If it is fan-made, which seems to be more than likely given how obvious it is, who cares?!? It's badass.

Check out the video below, which came to our attention courtesy of Devin Feraci over at CHUD, and tell us what you think.

Stomp tiny cities in the Dread Central forums!

Real or Fan Made that was bad ass.

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 08/27/2009 - 1:22pm.
Didn't See It Coming's picture

It's definitely fan made, but it's pretty well done.

The creature design in the first one was top notch and the characters worked as believable people for me. So what I got was an all around awesome monster movie. Better than any Godzilla movie in the last 20 years for sure.

Submitted by Didn't See It Coming on Thu, 08/27/2009 - 1:17pm.
Rottenjesus's picture

So prefer CG to practical effects. We got that already.

Submitted by Rottenjesus on Thu, 08/27/2009 - 8:28pm.
Emilie Noetzel's picture

If it is indeed for the sequel, it looks like it will be set in the LA area, the "tourism" shots are of 3rd Street (or it avenue??? my brain is dusty this morning) Promenade in Santa Monica.

I liked the monster in the first one but the characters were blah (as in something was missing, pretty good but could have been better), and the shaky cam thing I have never liked.

*Edited because this morning I had a case of the fuzzy brains...

Submitted by Emilie Noetzel on Thu, 08/27/2009 - 3:12pm.
Grave-Danger's picture

Looks like they did some kind of overlay with the shot of the monster from the first movie with color distortion. If there is a sequel, I hope they get rid of all the dude-bro dialogue.

Submitted by Grave-Danger on Thu, 08/27/2009 - 12:10pm.
Chainsaw's picture

I like it. If it is fan made, they did an amazing job of matching the look, the effects, the tone. But that makes me think that it is legit, and that it is for the second movie.

Submitted by Chainsaw on Thu, 08/27/2009 - 11:30am.
Legba's picture

"Though the film has taken more than its fair share of criticism, Cloverfield delivered on the promise of colossal-sized creature action."

If the film didn't succeed for the individual do to the criticism (uninspired creature design and characters as simply placeholders to walk us through a trendy faux veriti reality). Doesn't the prior negate the latter?

Submitted by Legba on Thu, 08/27/2009 - 9:38am.
moderator I think UC probably meant to
Debi Moore's picture

I think UC probably meant to insert a "for me" after the comma and before Cloverfield. In that context, it makes sense, no?

Submitted by Debi Moore on Thu, 08/27/2009 - 2:42pm.
moderator It was like 3am when I wrote

It was like 3am when I wrote that. Cut me some slack! ;)

Submitted by Steve Barton on Thu, 08/27/2009 - 7:30pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Devin? I haven't heard that name in a long time.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Thu, 08/27/2009 - 9:36am.
Gus Bjork's picture

I know! That was the reaction I had too. Courtesy of Devin? Really?

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Thu, 08/27/2009 - 10:06pm.

Is that a giant tortoise at the end? I'm not complaining... I'm just glad to be reading a story and looking at a video about something other than bloody "Halloween 2"!

Submitted by PelusaMG on Thu, 08/27/2009 - 9:09am.

I have to admit, that's pretty neat. I love the street sign at the end. Nice touch. Props to whoever did this.

Submitted by techstar25 on Thu, 08/27/2009 - 7:22am.