Roth's Big Budget Project Gets a Name

Eli RothAs we told you this past April, Eli Roth has a couple of irons in the fire right now: a feature-length version of the "Thanksgiving" short film from Grindhouse and a big budget sci-fi thriller.

In our previous story Roth promised the latter film is "going to be something that is really fun with lots of mass destruction ... something along the lines of ‘Transformers’ or ‘Cloverfield’ [but] a little more science fiction-based, and with lots of chaos and mass destruction. It is not aliens or robots or a virus - it’s a little more grounded."

Today, courtesy of Empire Online, that project got a name: Endangered Species. And Roth is still talking about "lots of mass destruction" and planning to "really destroy lots of shit" with the film's reported $60 million budget.

And if you missed it previously, click here for a few more details on Thanksgiving as well.

- Debi Moore

Imagine what you could do with $60 million in the Dread Central forums!

Chainsaw's picture

I'm going to throw this out there: none of this shit is going to get made. He's like the Ben Affleck to Tarantino's Matt Damon. (Family Guy reference)

Submitted by Chainsaw on Sun, 05/31/2009 - 7:34pm.

"where I can really do lots of mass destruction and really destroy lots of shit!"

Wow, great filmmaker AND good with them wordly thingers.

Lots of mass destruction AND destroying lots of shit? Those are two things!!!

Submitted by G.D. on Sat, 05/30/2009 - 9:19pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Ha, come on everybody loves gore and T&A but when it's the only thing you can do well that's a problem.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Fri, 05/29/2009 - 9:15pm.

Any chance he actually makes a movie, rather than announcing this and announcing that in between shitty stints in Tarantino movies?

Submitted by G.D. on Fri, 05/29/2009 - 6:31pm.
Bone Daddy's picture

I thought he was tapped to do a film adaption of Stephen King's Cell? I guess he does have a few irons in the fire. He is not my fave genre director,but I'll give his films a looksee.

Submitted by Bone Daddy on Fri, 05/29/2009 - 5:40pm.
MagusMaleficus's picture

Reading the description of the movie, I'd bet high dollar that this project began as an adaptation of Cell, but then morphed into something...I can't believe I'm gonna use this word...original.

Submitted by MagusMaleficus on Sat, 05/30/2009 - 10:59am.
Vermithrax's picture

Man, I hate this guy, how does he keep finding work?

"It is not aliens or robots or a virus - it’s a little more grounded."

So let me guess, its someone wanting to torture good looking teenagers?

Submitted by Vermithrax on Fri, 05/29/2009 - 5:03pm.
MagusMaleficus's picture

A whole city full of 'em, from the sound of things.

Submitted by MagusMaleficus on Sat, 05/30/2009 - 10:57am.
Floydian Trip's picture

Ha, after I found out Roth was in Inglorious Bastards my desire to see the movie dropped considerably. Hopefully it's a small part because he should really stay behind the camera.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Fri, 05/29/2009 - 4:48pm.

Does Tarrantino have a part in this? Oh hang on, his part is in Roth... my bad!

Submitted by PelusaMG on Fri, 05/29/2009 - 4:42pm.
Messiahman's picture

Oh no! Roth and Tarantino are friends! They actually help each other out and appear in each other's stuff! My God, that's never happened in the entire history of Hollywood!

Cue the imbecilic gay jokes.

Submitted by Messiahman on Fri, 05/29/2009 - 4:52pm.

Just my running 'gag'!

Submitted by PelusaMG on Fri, 05/29/2009 - 11:21pm.
Messiahman's picture

No offense, dude. I'm just giving you some good natured shit.

Submitted by Messiahman on Sat, 05/30/2009 - 5:58am.
Floydian Trip's picture

I guess I'll be able to decide if he's a good director or not. I enjoyed the hell out of Cabin Fever but was not impressed with Hostel. Is there more to this guy than gore and T&A?

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Fri, 05/29/2009 - 4:37pm.
Rottenjesus's picture

Wait wait wait...gore and T&A are bad things now?

Submitted by Rottenjesus on Fri, 05/29/2009 - 7:13pm.