Script Ready for 30 Days of Night Sequel

30 Days of Night DVD (click for larger image)Reaction to the live action version of the Steve Niles graphic novel was for the most part positive, and you know what that means -- sequel time! It may even be happening sooner than you think!

MTV Splash Page caught up with Niles recently, and the director was pretty chatty about what's next for those nasty vamps we love so much!

The script is finished for Dark Days, the sequel to the first film, and Sam Raimi's Ghost House Pictures is looking to release the film direct-to-video. So how exactly does that bode? "We didn’t hit that magic $100 million, but I had a long talk with Sam," Niles tells MTV. "He called me and just said, 'Don't be too quick to judge this direct-to-DVD market, especially with the sci-fi market'."

Dark Days will tell the story of Stella Olemaun as she "heads to Los Angeles after surviving the vampire attack in Barrow, Alaska. She intentionally attracts the attention of the local vampire population in order to avenge the death of her husband, Eben, during the Barrow incident."

That's it for now. More as it comes!

Tell us of your own dark days in the Dread Central forums.

The first one is mediocre so I hope this one is better.

Submitted by Terminal on Sat, 06/13/2009 - 9:42pm.
rupp30's picture

The first half of the first film was awesome, then it kinda stumbled downwards from there but it was a pretty good movie still. I wonder if Melissa George is going to be in it again or not. Sounds like it could be good either way though.

_SedanHollows_

Submitted by rupp30 on Sat, 06/13/2009 - 7:16pm.
nikki's picture

YES!!!!! thank Goddess. I cant wait to see this one. I've got to confess that I am addicted to 30 days of night.

Submitted by nikki on Sat, 06/13/2009 - 6:40pm.
Ms Harker's picture

I was disappointed with the first film, so am trying to hold back my cringe at what they will do with the sequel. I am a huge fan of the graphic novels and Steve Niles. However my apprehension is partially due to Stella being the central character and the quality (or lack) of acting that my country woman Melissa George produced. However the effects and make up for the vamps was like they had walked off the pages and into the film, brilliant!

Ms Harker
www.musingcontinuum.wordpress.com

Submitted by Ms Harker on Fri, 04/24/2009 - 9:07pm.
krawlingkhaos's picture

This might be exciting if there was any possibility that Slade would actually get some creative control, but he's gonna be micro-managed to until he's another soulless, broken filmmaker at the feet of another generic box-office whore. Does anyone think the studio is gonna risk infecting its biggest cash-vacuum with even a molecule of creativity? I don't understand why if #1 opening weekend is guaranteed they don't give directors some freedom to make something good.

Full disclosure, I haven't seen Twilight, but I have talked to a lot of unhappy book fans and read a lot of pitiful reviews that suggest that the first film suffered a severe case of the suck, the main symptoms being mediocrity and lack of imagination in pretty much every aspect. IMWO I can't see any reason why the second will turn out any differently.

Submitted by krawlingkhaos on Fri, 04/24/2009 - 2:57pm.
Didn't See It Coming's picture

Not even David Slade could make 30 Days enjoyable. I have little hope for this one.

Submitted by Didn't See It Coming on Fri, 04/24/2009 - 2:13pm.
Avid Fan's picture

Hell Yeah, that's good news. They really need to get this to the theaters though,I'd surely be there on opening night.

Submitted by Avid Fan on Fri, 04/24/2009 - 11:48am.