I know all of our heroes have to go sometime, but one of the worst things about getting older is years like this one where they seem to go all at once. Len Wein, legendary editor and writer of comics for decades, passed away this past weekend at age 69.
Mainstream folks know Len for co-creating Swamp Thing and Wolverine. He also co-created several popular X-Men characters while revitalizing the series in the 80’s, such as Nightcrawler and Storm. His most lauded work was as editor for Alan Moore’s legendary Watchmen series.
Horror fans know him for years of working on multiple horror titles like House of Mystery, House of Secrets, and my favorite, Weird War Tales.
Weird War Tales was a staple of my youth. The Haunted Tank, the Unknown Soldier, and especially the Creature Commandos were a huge part of my imagination as a youngster. I remember frequenting a park that had a shell of an old WWII tank to play in, and Haunted Tank re-enactments were the focus of every second I stayed there.
Wein was one of the most influential men in the history of comics, and his hand helped guide major characters and series for both DC and Marvel. He continued working in comics, television, and video games writing and editing through 2015.
Here’s to Len and all the wonderful stories he brought us.
- virgo02 I really liked the movie when it came out and I still do. I just watched it the other day. I still can't believe they took away the sibling part of the movie. That too me made it more suspenseful. The...
- Nick Greeley Nice clickbait. It’s OLD news that H20 started as a passion project for her, but everything fell apart when Carpenter and Hill didn’t come back, and Moustapha Akkad refused to let the writers kill...
- Mackey Would be awesome if Amazon or Netflix could save "The Exorcist" too
- One-Eye I remember it as being one of the better post SCREAM slasher movies. I certainly haven't watched it since then.
- One-Eye I kind of dig how Osment is just like "Yeah, I'm fat and have a big, bushy beard. And that's how I'm gonna stay now..."
Join the Box of Dread Mailing List
TONIGHT! #Brainwaves Episode 92: Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead Talk THE ENDLESS and More!
Comic Book Superheroes You Had No Idea Battled The PREDATOR
MY MONSTER Short Film Review: Izzy Lee Proves That Love Bites
SUSPIRIA Remake Rated R For Ritualistic Violence, Graphic Nudity, and More
Stephen King’s PET SEMATARY Remake Begins Filming!
Bill Skarsgard on Stephen King’s IT: CHAPTER 2’s Adult Cast
Hollywood Science Fiction Museum Founder Arrested on Child Pornography Charges
5 Zombie Films That Flipped The Script
Gender Bashing: Manly Spectacle in PREDATOR
New Stephen King Movie TRAPPED Announced by Richard Chizmar
E3 2018: BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL 2 Giving the Fans a Chance to Create
HEREDITARY – Interview with Writer-Director Ari Aster and the Cast
THE MIMIC – Exclusive Clip Introduces Us to The Girl
Dinosaurs Make Lousy Organ Donors in the TRIASSIC WORLD Trailer
Exclusive: Dinosaurs, Golden Retrievers, and PREHYSTERIA! Oh My!
Editorials5 days ago
Let’s Explain the Ending to HEREDITARY
News2 days ago
Remember CASTLEVANIA II: SIMON’S QUEST’s Controversial Nintendo Power Cover?
News4 days ago
FRIDAY THE 13TH Meets MEAN GIRLS in FAT CAMP MASSACRE
News4 days ago
Jamie Lee Curtis Did HALLOWEEN: H20 For the Paycheck
News5 days ago
Netflix Steps in to #SaveLUCIFER
Drinking With the Dread6 days ago
Drinking With The Dread: A PREDATOR and PREDATOR 2 Double Down!
Reviews5 days ago
HELL’S KITTY Review – This Little Feline Sure Ain’t No Pu**y!
News5 days ago
AHS Season 8 Officially Coven/Murder House Crossover!