Today’s the day, fiends! The San Diego Comic-Con has begun rolling out its daily schedules for this year, and up now we have the horror highlights of Preview Night (Wednesday, July 20th) and Day 1 (Thursday, July 21st). Per usual, we’re also including a few general interest panels and presentations that should be on your radar.
The 2016 SDCC runs July 20-24 at the San Diego Convention Center. Visit Comic-Con.org for more info.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 20
Kicking things off on Wednesday evening is Warner Bros. TV, which is bringing several new pilots to show off. Only “Riverdale” and “Frequency” fall on the horror-ish side of the fence, but we’ve included the full lineup for you below:
6:00pm: Special Sneak Peek Pilot Screenings – Ballroom 20
Comic-Con and Warner Bros. Television proudly continue their annual Preview Night tradition, with exclusive world premiere screenings of the pilot episodes of five of the most highly anticipated series of the 2016-17 television season-Riverdale, Powerless, People of Earth, Frequency, and Time After Time-as well as a new episode of Teen Titans Go!
- Riverdale – Things aren’t always what you expect in Riverdale. Based on the iconic characters from Archie Comics and produced by Berlanti Productions (The Flash, Supergirl, Blindspot, Everwood), this one-hour drama is a bold, subversive take on the surreality of small-town life. As a new school year begins, the town of Riverdale is reeling from the recent, tragic death of high school golden boy Jason Blossom, and nothing feels the same. Archie Andrews (KJ Apa) is still the all-American teen, but the summer’s events made him realize that he wants to pursue a career in music and not follow in his dad’s footsteps, despite the sudden end of his forbidden relationship with Riverdale’s young music teacher, Ms. Grundy (Sarah Habel). Which means Archie doesn’t have anyone who will mentor him-certainly not singer Josie McCoy (Ashleigh Murray), who is only focused on her band, the soon-to-be-world-famous Pussycats. It’s all weighing heavily on Archie’s mind, as is his fractured friendship with budding writer and fellow classmate Jughead Jones (Cole Sprouse). Meanwhile, girl-next-door Betty Cooper (Lili Reinhart) is anxious to see her crush, Archie, after being away all summer, but she’s not quite ready to reveal her true feelings to him. And Betty’s nerves, which are hardly soothed by her overbearing mother, Alice (Mädchen Amick), aren’t the only thing holding her back. When a new student, Veronica Lodge (Camila Mendes), arrives in town from New York with her mother, Hermione (Marisol Nichols), there’s an undeniable spark between her and Archie, even though Veronica doesn’t want to risk her new friendship with Betty by making a play for Archie. And then there’s Cheryl Blossom (Madelaine Petsch); Riverdale’s Queen Bee is happy to stir up trouble among Archie, Betty, and Veronica, but Cheryl is keeping secrets of her own. What, exactly, is she hiding about the mysterious death of her twin brother, Jason? Riverdale may look like a quiet, sleepy town, but there are dangers in the shadows. Riverdale is from Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios, with executive producers Greg Berlanti (Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow), Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (Supergirl, Glee), Sarah Schechter (Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow), and Jon Goldwater (Archie Comics). Riverdale premieres midseason on The CW.
- Powerless – It’s a superhero’s world. As the first comedy series set in the DC Universe, Powerless is the story of Emily (Vanessa Hudgens, High School Musical), a young insurance adjuster specializing in regular-people coverage against damage caused when superheroes and supervillains treat the city like their own personal battleground. Taking care of insurance needs one by one, Emily and her team of co-workers might not have any superpowers, but they are out to make a difference in people’s lives and prove that you don’t need to have powers to be powerful! From Warner Bros. Television and executive producer Ben Queen (Cars 2), Powerless premieres midseason on NBC.
- People of Earth – From Emmy winners Conan O’Brien (Conan) and Greg Daniels (The Office, Parks and Recreation) and creator David Jenkins comes People of Earth, a half-hour single-camera comedy series about a support group for alien abductees. People of Earth centers on skeptical journalist Ozzie Graham (Wyatt Cenac, The Daily Show), who investigates a support group to write about the members’ supposed alien encounters. The more he digs into their oddball claims, however, the more he realizes a semblance of truth to their stories and possibly even signs that point to his own alien abduction. The onetime outsider now finds himself a part of this eclectic group of misfits, all the while struggling with the idea of knowing that life could exist beyond this world. The series is executive produced by O’Brien, Daniels, Norm Hiscock (King of the Hill), Jeff Ross (Conan), David Kissinger (Eagleheart), and Larry Sullivan; Jenkins is co-executive producer. Produced by Conaco LLC in association with Warner Horizon Television, People of Earth is coming this fall to TBS.
- Frequency – Based on the New Line feature film, Frequency is the story of a father and daughter who are supernaturally reunited two decades after his suspicious and untimely death. New York detective Raimy Sullivan was only 7 when her father, undercover cop Frank Sullivan, abandoned his family in pursuit of a case that led not only to his family’s breakup but also his eventual death undercover. Always believing her dad died in disgrace as a corrupt cop, Raimy set forth to surpass him in law enforcement, rising through the ranks to detective. But everything she knows changes when somehow Raimy and Frank connect, across two decades, over Frank’s vintage ham radio in the garage. Where once Frank was lost in the shadows of his undercover work in 1996, he has now miraculously been found by his now-grown daughter in 2016. As they forge a new relationship while working together in two time periods to close an unsolved serial murder investigation, their emotional connection transcends time to not only repair the broken bonds of their family but also defy fate and change the course of destiny. From Lin Pictures in association with Warner Bros. Television, Frequency premieres Wednesdays at 9/8c this fall on The CW. Jeremy Carver (Supernatural), Toby Emmerich (Frequency film), John Rickard (Horrible Bosses), Dan Lin (Sherlock Holmes films), Jennifer Gwartz (Veronica Mars), and Brad Anderson (Fringe) are executive producers.
- Time After Time – Using the 1979 novel and movie as a launching point, Time After Time chronicles the epic adventures of a young H. G. Wells. At the age of 28, the 19th-century scholar has yet to publish any of his landmark science fiction novels, but his idealistic thinking and radical ideas have led him to actually create a time machine. When his longtime friend, the charismatic (and secretly psychopathic) Dr. John Stevenson, a.k.a. Jack the Ripper, finds himself cornered by the authorities at Wells’ London home, he escapes to present-day New York City using the time machine. Naturally, Wells follows, but instead of the Utopian society he imagined would be in the future, he finds a world more aligned to Stevenson’s temperament. Fortunately, Wells meets up with Jane Walker, an assistant curator at a museum staging an exhibition on Wells. As Wells and Jane come together, they will not only play a dangerous endgame with Stevenson but also find themselves involved with the incredible characters and scenarios that inspired Wells’ War of the Worlds, The Invisible Man, The Island of Dr. Moreau, and more. An epic love story charged with danger and adventure, Time After Time gives an unpredictable spin on the mythology of H. G. Wells by looking at the world of today through the eyes of yesterday. Based on the novel written by Karl Alexander and produced by Outerbanks Entertainment in association with Warner Bros. Television, Time After Time premieres midseason on ABC. Kevin Williamson (The Vampire Diaries) and Marcos Siega (The Vampire Diaries) are executive producers.
- Teen Titans Go! – The Teen Titans are back at it again, in Teen Titans Go!, with all new comedic adventures both in and out of Titans Tower, and they’ll have you covered by screening a brand new episode. Based on DC characters and produced by Warner Bros. Animation, Teen Titans Go! airs Thursdays at 6/5c on Cartoon Network.
THURSDAY, JULY 21
10:00-11:00am – Room 25ABC
CW3PR’s 3rd Annual Behind-The-Music: Crime, Death and Resurrection
Television’s top composers discuss how their music elevates the high drama, mystery and mayhem in some of your favorite shows. These magicians of the screen will reveal the scoring processes that enliven some of TV’s most popular and thrilling programs. The panel will highlight the music of fan-favorite shows including Mr. Robot, Fargo, The People v. O.J. Simpson, American Horror Story, South Park, Dominion, CSI: NY, Scream Queens, Power, Legion, Manhattan, Tut, and more.
12:00-1:00pm – Indigo Ballroom, Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Geek & Sundry at SDCC
Felicia Day and friends chat with you, the audience, about everything you want to know! Join the panel for hilarious discussions on their favorite current and future shows, upcoming projects, and the latest happenings at Geek & Sundry.
12:00-1:00pm – Room 23ABC
Welcome to the Whedonverse
Dark Horse’s continuations of Joss Whedon’s cult favorites (Serenity, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel & Faith) remain some of the most-talked-about comics in the industry. Dark Horse is giving you an exclusive chance to hear all there is to tell about the end of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 and what’s in store for Serenity from the series’ top talent, with Buffy Season 10 writer Christos Gage, Buffy the High School Years Kel McDonald, and surprise guests for some big news!
12:00-3:00pm – Ballroom 20
CBS Television Studios Block – including Scorpion, American Gothic, and MacGyver
- Scorpion – Retrieve the inside scoop on what’s happening this fall with Waige, Quintis, and the rest of your favorite band of misfit geniuses. Monday night’s top-rated drama series Scorpion returns to SDCC for the third year in a row with the stars and producers giving fans the first intel on plots, story arcs, and romances before anyone else. The series stars Elyes Gabel (World War Z), Robert Patrick (Terminator 2), Katharine McPhee (Smash), Eddie Kaye Thomas (American Pie), Jadyn Wong (Broken Trail), and Ari Stidham (Huge).
- American Gothic – See how the other half kills with American Gothic, CBS’s new summer series centered on a prominent Boston family reeling after a chilling discovery links someone in their midst to an infamous string of murders. As shocking secrets from the past and present are revealed, the mounting suspicion and paranoia threaten to tear the family apart. Get an exclusive sneak peek at what’s behind closed doors at the Hawthorne estate, followed by a panel discussion with the stars and producer. The series stars Juliet Rylance (The Knick), Antony Starr (Banshee), Virginia Madsen (Sideways), Justin Chatwin (Shameless), Megan Ketch (Jane the Virgin), Elliot Knight (Sinbad), Stephanie Leonidas (Defiance), and Gabriel Bateman (Lights Out).
- Fan Favorites – It’s Throwback Thursday at Comic-Con! Get ready for special surprise guest appearances by some of your favorite CBS stars as they throwback to the early days of their careers and most memorable moments from the sets of their shows. Don’t miss the fan Q&A where they will share exclusive teases on what’s ahead for their characters in the upcoming season.
- Macgyver – Mac is back! The classic action-adventure drama and fan-favorite MacGyver is coming back to CBS this fall. MacGyver creates a clandestine organization within the U.S. government where he uses his extraordinary talent for unconventional problem solving and vast scientific knowledge to save lives. MacGyver and his team take on the responsibility of saving the world, armed to the teeth with resourcefulness and little more than bubble gum and a paper clip. Join series stars Lucas Till (X-Men), and George Eads (CSI), and executive producer Peter Lenkov (Hawaii Five-0) for an exclusive sneak peek of the first season, followed by a panel discussion.
1:00-2:00pm – Indigo Ballroom, Hilton San Diego Bayfront
The Nerdist Panel with Chris Hardwick
It’s that time of year again-time to enjoy your burrito with Chris Hardwick (Comedy Central’s @Midnight, AMC’s Talking Dead) and talk all things Nerdist! Joining Chris will be an all-star panel of your favorite Nerdist personalities, including Jessica Chobot (Nerdist News), Rachel Heine (editor-in-chief), Dan Casey (The Dan Cave), Alicia Lutes (Fangirling), Nerdist president Adam Rymer, and a surprise guest or two. Join the gang for a lively conversation about the big things to come for Nerdist in the near future. Surprises, announcements, and, of course, quemments await!
1:00-2:00pm – Hall H
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
Witness the first public exhibition of footage from acclaimed director/producer/writer Luc Besson’s first-ever Hall H presentation, and his latest foray into science fiction. Special operatives Valerian and Laureline embark on a mission to the breathtaking intergalactic city of Alpha, an ever-expanding metropolis made up of thousands of species from all corners of the universe. Alpha’s 17 million inhabitants have converged over time, uniting their talents, technology, and resources for the betterment of all. But not everyone on Alpha shares in these same objectives; unseen forces are at work, placing their race in great danger. Luc Besson (The Fifth Element, The Professional), producer Virginie Besson-Silla (Lucy, Revolver), Dane DeHaan (Amazing Spider-Man 2, Chronicle), and Cara Delevingne (Suicide Squad, Paper Towns) join moderator Josh Horowitz (MTV) and special surprise panelists for the first public sneak peek at Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, coming to theaters from EuropaCorp in summer 2017.
1:45-2:45pm – Room 6A
USA Network’s Falling Water: World Premiere Screening
Be the first to see USA Network’s highly anticipated new drama series Falling Water, presented by creators Gale Anne Hurd (The Walking Dead) and Blake Masters (Brotherhood). Ever wonder what would happen if someone could control our dreams? This mind-bending new thriller, starring David Ajala, Will Yun Lee, and Lizzie Brochere, explores this question through the lives of three unrelated people who slowly realize they are dreaming separate parts of a single common dream-a dream that just might hold the key to the fate of humanity.
2:30-3:30pm – Room 4
Warhammer 40,000 Panel
This is the world-exclusive first look at Titan’s much hyped new Warhammer 40,000 comic book series, based in the staggeringly popular dark science fiction universe from Games Workshop. Join Warhammer 40,000 writer George Mann (Dark Souls, Doctor Who) and editor Andrew James for a jam-packed panel spotlighting the hotly anticipated comic launch in October. Be the first to see exclusive art by Tazio Bettin and Enrica Angiolini from the comic and upcoming plans for the series. Each attendee will receive an exclusive gift!
3:00-4:00pm – Room 23ABC
H.P. Lovecraft & Steam Engines of Oz: Arcana’s Animation Slate
Arcana’s animation slate continues! Howard Lovecraft & The Frozen Kingdom is being released fall 2016 and features the voices of Ron Perlman, Jane Curtin, and Christopher Plummer, with Steam Engines of Oz currently in production. Get a behind-the-scenes look at this grassroots animation slate that is breaking down barriers into independent filmmaking. They want to hear from you in this very interactive panel. DVDs, comics, plush toys, and shirts will be given away; never-before-seen animated footage and special guests will be on hand. Get your Cthulhu plush toy simply by asking questions and participating. You’ll have a R’lyeh good time!
3:15-4:15pm – Ballroom 20
The Strain: Screening and Q&A
The munchers are back! The Strain, FX’s action-packed vampire thriller based on the bestselling books from Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan, returns August 28. Get an exclusive sneak peek of the upcoming third season, plus the debut of a Comic-Con exclusive original video that’s sure to go viral. Showrunner/executive producer/director/writer Carlton Cuse, co-creator/executive producer/writer Chuck Hogan, and stars Kevin Durand (Vasiliy Fet), Ruta Gedmintas (Dutch Velders), Richard Sammel (Thomas Eichhorst), and Miguel Gomez (Augustin “Gus” Elizalde) discuss the challenges of bringing this chilling world to life.
3:30-4:30pm – Hall H
Under the Radar
An in-depth discussion about the best in genre fare from the festival circuit and beyond, moderated by Fandango’s Erik Davis and featuring the Los Angeles Times’ Marc Bernardin, MTV’s Amy Nicholson and The Daily Beast’s Jen Yamato. Special guest panelists include Doug Benson and the team behind SXSW teen fanfic hit Slash, including director Clay Liford and star Michael Johnston (Teen Wolf).
3:30-4:30pm – Room 6BCF
Warcraft: The Road to Legion
A team of Blizzard Entertainment’s veteran designers, writers, and artists talk about World of Warcraft: Legion, and the exciting content that will be leading up to its launch. The panelists include Alex Afrasiabi (creative director, World of Warcraft), Chris Robinson (senior art director, World of Warcraft), Matt Samia (senior creative director of brand marketing), and James Waugh (director of story & creative development). The panelists will also take part in a Q&A session, where you can ask all your burning questions about the Burning Legion.
4:00-5:00pm – Room 7AB
Come party with VIZ Media! And by party, we mean sit in a chair and listen to thrilling tales of upcoming releases and other Earth-shattering announcements from North America’s largest distributor of manga and anime! VIZ Media has brought you thousands of your favorite titles, including huge hits like Naruto, Death Note, Sailor Moon, Ranma 1⁄2, Tokyo Ghoul, One-Punch Man and more! Warning: panel may include trivia, prizes, yelling, and probably some clapping.
4:30-5:30pm – Ballroom 20
MTV Teen Wolf
Executive producer Jeff Davis and the cast of Teen Wolf return to Comic-Con for the seventh consecutive year. The pack from MTV’s hit series will dish on the upcoming season, answer fan questions, and share the first sneak peek of season 6.
4:30-5:30pm – Room 6DE
Skybound’s The Walking Dead
The Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman (The Walking Dead franchise, Outcast), longtime artist of The Walking Dead Charlie Adlard, and Skybound Entertainment editorial director Sean Mackiewicz discuss all things The Walking Dead and what’s to come for the comics series as it approaches its 160th issue. This panel will be moderated by Jason Mantzoukas (The League, Brooklyn Nine-Nine).
4:30-5:30pm – Horton Grand Theatre
The Enduring Allure of Grimms’ Fairy Tales: Live Reading and Discussion
Award-winning narrators Kirby Heyborne, Jayne Entwistle, and Scott Brick present a live performance from Listening Library’s full-cast audio collection Grimms’ Fairy Tales, followed by a discussion moderated by Dan Zitt (VP, content production, Penguin Random House Audio) that will take listeners behind the scenes of the recording and exploring the enduring popularity of these classic stories.
4:30-5:30pm – Room 8
Find out where some of your favorite titles are heading, and be the first to hear about the new series on deck for the fall from comics’ most innovative imprint.
4:45-5:45pm – Room 6BCF
USA Network’s Colony Panel with the Cast and Creators
Colony fans, whose side are you on: the Collaborators or the Resistance? Executive producers Carlton Cuse and Ryan Condal, along with series stars, offer an exclusive inside look at the new season. When USA Network’s critically acclaimed series Colony returns for season 2, mysterious intruders are still in control of a near-future Los Angeles. Will, played by Josh Holloway (Lost), has been cooperating with the Collaborators, but now that he knows his wife Katie’s (Sarah Wayne Callies, The Walking Dead) secret, have they jeopardized any hope of getting their son back?
5:00-6:00pm – Indigo Ballroom, Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Premiering exclusive first-look footage from Syfy’s new series Van Helsing. Stars Kelly Overton (True Blood), Jonathan Scarfe (Hell on Wheels), and Christopher Heyerdahl (Twilight, True Blood) will join creator/showrunner Neil LaBute (In The Company of Men, Hell on Wheels) and executive producers Simon Barry (Continuum), Chad Oakes (Fargo, Hell on Wheels), and Mike Frislev (Fargo, Hell on Wheels) in a panel moderated by Holly Hines (Dynamic Television).
5:00-6:00pm – Room 23ABC
Video Game Comics: Level Up
With Dark Horse, video game franchises found a foothold in comics. With a line of video game-related comics and deluxe art books, including the bestselling World of Warcraft: Chronicle, the publisher now works with the biggest studios and brands in the business. Dark Horse editor Ian Tucker is joined by representatives from DICE, 343 Studios, Microsoft, Blizzard, and BioWare for news and announcements on all your favorite video game tie-ins!
5:00-6:00pm – Room 7AB
World of Capcom
Calling all Capcom fans! Moderator Matt Dahlgren (Capcom) hosts a panel packed with Capcom team members to present the company’s latest and greatest video games. Capcom has been kicking out your favorite games for over three decades, and this panel is the place for fans of all ages to check out the new games they can look forward to.
5:30-6:30pm – Room 8
Dynamite Entertainment: The Art of the Deal
In 2004, Dynamite Entertainment exploded into the world of licensed comics with the release of fan-favorite Army of Darkness. Since that time, the little publisher that could has grown into the leading publisher that does. The company has become the industry leader in books based on film, television, video games, and more, with such diverse world-renowned brands as Atari, James Bond, Grumpy Cat, Bob’s Burgers and so many more! Dynamite CEO/publisher Nick Barrucci, senior editor Joseph Rybandt, and surprise guests reveal the shape of comics to come!
5:30-6:30pm – Room 6A
Nerdist TV: The Boundary Pushers
Great TV takes risks, and few people do it as well as the creators of our favorite sci-fi, fantasy, and genre fare. Moderator Alicia Lutes (Nerdist’s managing editor, co-host/creator of Fangirling) and several of your favorite TV creators talk about how some of the small screen’s greatest, most shocking, and exciting turns have paved the way for a better, more binge-worthy future.
5:45-6:30pm – Horton Grand Theatre
Sausage Party Filmmaker Conversation
Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg have been the masterminds behind some of the world’s most outrageous, inventive, and hilarious comedies, and now they are going into the world of animation for Sony Pictures and Annapurna Pictures’ Sausage Party: the world’s first R-rated CG animated comedy. The film is about a group of supermarket products on a quest to discover the truth about their existence and what really happens when they become chosen to leave the grocery story. Not only will you hear all about it as Seth and Evan lead a conversation, you can see the movie for yourself. Following the conversation, stay for the pre-party and screening at Horton Plaza.
5:45-6:45pm – Ballroom 20
Marvel’s Luke Cage
The cast of the upcoming Netflix original series Marvel’s Luke Cage make their first-ever appearance, answering questions and giving fans a look at exclusive footage from the highly anticipated series, ahead of its September 30 global debut on Netflix. Moderated by Jeph Loeb (executive producer and Marvel’s Head of Television).
6:30-7:30pm- Room 26AB
Death and the High Cost of Resurrection
They call it a “Comic Book Death” when a major fictional character is killed off, but the audience doesn’t believe they will stay dead. Does it damage stories when their heroes and villains refuse to remain in the grave? How emotionally invested can an audience be when big consequences are easily reversed? Bestselling horror/fantasy author Mira Grant (aka Seanan McGuire), comic creator and former Marvel/IDW editor Andy Schmidt, and others discuss the ramifications of resurrection with moderator Adron Buske (Nerd for a Living podcast).
7:00-8:00pm – Room 6DE
Dark Matter: Season 2
In the midst of the epic space drama’s second season, cast members Melissa O’Neil (Two), Anthony Lemke (Three), Alex Mallari Jr. (Four), Jodelle Ferland (Five), and newcomer Melanie Liburd (Nyx) will discuss new storylines, characters, sets, and behind-the-scenes tidbits. There will also be some exclusive, never-before-seen footage shown.
7:00-8:00pm – Room 7AB
Heavy Metal: This Panel Goes to 11
A year ago, the nearly 40-years-running leading publisher of science fiction and fantasy made news around the convention with the announcement that Grant Morrison would be stepping in as the magazine’s editor-in-chief. Now, following Morrison’s debut issue, which is being called a “renaissance,” Heavy Metal co-CEO Jeff Krelitz, 20-year publisher Kevin Eastman, and the man himself will blow minds yet again with exclusive announcements, surprise guests, and more!
7:00-8:00pm – Pacific 24, North Tower, Marriott Marquis & Marina
Marvel Goes Steampunk
Crossing over into every genre, Steampunk has transformed some of our favorite Marvel characters into some of the steamiest superheroes and villains in the galaxy. Celebrating the incredible artists who create such wonderful fan art and the cosplayers who make the costumes a reality, come enjoy a walk on the wild side with everyone from Ant-Man and Deadpool to Spider-man and Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters as they are re-imagined in Steampunk style! Panelists include C. J. DeAngeles, Diana Given, Christine Quimbo, and a surprise artist guest. Moderated by Gaslight Gathering Steampunk Convention’s director of programming, Anastasia Hunter.
7:15-8:15pm – Room 6BCF
Spike & Mike’s Festival of Animation
Featuring award-winning animated shorts from across the globe. The Festival is best known for theatrically premiering works of Tim Burton, John Lasseter (Toy Story), Bill Plympton (everything), Andrew Stanton (Finding Nemo), and Nick Park (Wallace & Gromit). Focusing on pop culture and hilarious award-winning films, this screening allows the viewer to see the next generation of Hollywood superstars before anyone else. Meet Spike in person: bonus animation vs. animator.
8:00-9:00pm – Room 9
Ghost of Name That Movie: The Sequel
Returning for its fourth straight year of fun, prizes and rare movie clips. A game show where you can be a contestant and win (marginally) valuable prizes! Inkpot Award winner and show creator, John Field has edited a fun-tastic program of 50 different sci-fi, horror, and fantasy film clips, ranging from the 1920s to today. Four contestants will be chosen from the audience to try to guess the names of the movies the clips are from. If any of the panel members cannot guess the clip, the audience gets the chance! That audience member gets a prize as well. Whichever contestant names the most clips will be the grand prize winner. The second to fourth places will get prizes as well.
8:00-9:00pm – Room 25ABC
Psychology of Cult TV Shows: Episode 3
Back by popular request, this panel focuses on the psychology behind the most recent seasons of your favorite TV shows, including Doctor Who, Supernatural, Sherlock, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Castle, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, and others. Psychologists Janina Scarlet (Superhero Therapy, Star Wars Psychology) and Travis Langley (Doctor Who Psychology, Star Trek Psychology), TV writer Christine Boylan (Castle, Once Upon a Time), actors Maurice La Marche (Pinky and the Brain, Futurama) and Chase Masterson (Star Trek, Flash), host Jenna Busch (Legion of Leia, Star Wars Psychology), and surprise guests discuss your favorite TV shows. Alan Kister (Doctor Who: A History, Walking Dead Psychology) moderates.
8:15-10:45pm – Room 6DE
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Let’s do the Time Warp Again! Executive-produced by Lou Adler, Gail Berman, and Kenny Ortega, The Rocky Horror Picture Show is an all-new star-studded reimagining of the cult classic, which is celebrating 40 years of theatrical distribution, longer than any other film in history, for broadcast television! Sweethearts Janet (Victoria Justice) and Brad (Ryan McCartan) stumble upon Dr. Frank-N-Furter’s (Laverne Cox) bizarre abode. Frank-N-Furter, a sexually ambiguous, flirtatious alien mad scientist, with the help of his faithful servants Riff Raff (Reeve Carney) and Magenta (Christina Milian), is holding an annual Transylvanian science convention to showcase the birth of Rocky Horror (Staz Nair), a fit, attractive man created solely to fulfill Frank’s desires. Join cast and producers for an exclusive first look at the two-hour event premiering this fall on FOX.
8:30-9:30pm – Room 8
Black Mask Comics: Debuting Tomorrow’s Legends
Fresh off a dazzling 2015 with breakout books Space Riders, We Can Never Go Home, and Young Terrorists, Black Mask has made a name for itself as the hottest launchpad to debut new talent and as the home for some of the coolest, most provocative comics around. Black Mask co-founder Matt Pizzolo (Young Terrorists, Godkiller) and creators Magdalene Visaggio (Kim & Kim), Matthew Rosenberg (We Can Never Go Home, 4 Kids Walk into a Bank), Tyler Boss (4 Kids Walk into a Bank), Vita Ayala (upcoming Our Work Fills the Pews), Katy Rex (Jade Street Protection Services), and other panelists present a wide-ranging discussion of how new creators and new ideas are changing comics and how you can be a part of it.
8:30-10:00pm – Room 6BCF
Dr. Horrible’s Sing Along Blog
Join the fun and sing along as the California Browncoats screen Internet sensation Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog. Enter the horrible costume contest and win horrible prizes in four categories: Best Dr. Horrible, Captain Hammer, Penny, and “other” character from the show. A grand prize will be awarded to one well-prepared individual for “Best in Show.” Do not bounce!
9:00-10:30pm – Marriott Grand Ballroom 5-6, Marriott Marquis & Marina
Hall H and Ballroom 20 Thursday Playback Free Play
Didn’t get into Hall H or Ballroom 20 today? We feel your pain! On hand to kick off the panel will be the assistant to the director of programming for Comic-Con, Tommy Goldbach, in this block that rebroadcasts some of the day’s popular panels from those two giant rooms. Best of all, those in attendance will get to vote in a show of applause on what they want to see. It’s democracy at its finest, and it’s a second chance to see these panels. (Please note: These playbacks will include only the panel discussions. None of the film clips or footage shown at the live events will be shown here.)
NOTE: This represents the Comic-Con International 2016 Schedule as of this moment and is subject to change. Panelists scheduled to appear at each event are also subject to change. Check the schedule signs outside each door for updated information.
Freddy’s Greatest Hits Vinyl Re-issue Is a Must-Own
Strange Disc Records has just announced that it will be releasing “Freddy’s Greatest Hits – The Elm Street Group” on vinyl starting this Wednesday with pre-orders expected to ship in January 2018.
Not only that but Mondo announced they will be releasing an exclusive variant pressed on “Freddy Sweater” striped vinyl. This LP from Mondo is limited to 400 and will cost you $25.
For those who might not know, “Freddy’s Greatest Hits” was originally released in 1987. The record contains nine tracks (covers, originals, and instrumentals) with Robert Englund doing the voice of Freddy over the top.
I don’t know about you but this has just made my list of must-own items. But I’d prefer an original copy. That said an original copy is probably hundreds of buck on eBay as opposed to this version for a mere $25 bucks. Not bad.
You can check out the full track listing and a sample song below. Then make sure to hit us up and let us know if you’ll be snagging a copy in the comments below!
1. “Do The Freddy”
Freddy and the Dreamers cover, as well as a parody.
The lyrics were changed to fit Freddy Krueger persona and elements
3. “Wooly Bully”
Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs cover.
Freddy (Robert Englund) provides the opening lyrics.
4. “Don’t Sleep”
5. “In The Midnight Hour”
Wilson Pickett cover
6. “All I Have To Do Is Dream”
Everly Brothers cover
7. “Dance or Else”
8. “Down in the Broiler Room”
9. “Elm Street Dreams”
Pre-orders begin Wednesday, November 22.
That is One Gigantic Steampunk Squid…
Perhaps one of the greatest sci-fi adventures novels ever written, Jules Verne’s 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was a landmark book, one that was decades ahead of its time. The story follows the crew of the Nautilus, a submarine commanded by Captain Nemo, as they venture in search of a giant sea monster. It was the basis for several film adaptations and the character of Captain Nemo played a pivotal role in the graphic novel series The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
So why am I bringing this up, you ask? Because Tor Books is releasing Nemo Rising, a sequel, this Christmas! Written by C. Courtney Joyner, the story once again follows Nemo, although this book sees him a prisoner that must be pardoned by President Ulysses S. Grant in order to face an onslaught of more sea monsters.
Normally, I wouldn’t bother you all with this, but I happen to have a soft spot in my heart for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and the cover art for the book is fucking epic! I’ve always been a fan of cephalopods, and I’ve found the steampunk aesthetic to be pretty fascinating. Combine them both along with giant monsters, and you damn well better believe that I’m 100% into it! Plus, it’s wrapped itself around the Nautilus, which is already a giant vessel, so now I’m wondering just how large these mechanical monstrosities are…
Nemo Rising will be released on hardcover from Tor Books on December 26, 2017.
Sea monsters are sinking ships up and down the Atlantic Coast. Enraged that his Navy is helpless against this onslaught and facing a possible World War as a result, President Ulysses S. Grant is forced to ask for assistance from the notorious Captain Nemo, in Federal prison for war crimes and scheduled for execution.
Grant returns Nemo’s submarine, the infamous Victorian Steampunk marvel Nautilus, and promises a full Presidential pardon if Nemo hunts down and destroys the source of the attacks. Accompanied by the beautiful niece of Grant’s chief advisor, Nemo sets off under the sea in search of answers. Unfortunately, the enemy may be closer than they realize…
Filming On Blumhouse’s Halloween Pushed to January
Looks like filming on Blumhouse’s upcoming sequel to John Carpenter’s Halloween from Danny McBride and David Gordon Green has been pushed back a few months.
Not a huge deal, though. Only till January.
Filming on Halloween (2018) was supposed to begin this October (natch) but now it seems the film still has some cast to fill out.
The news comes to us via a South Carolina casting agency, The Island Packet, who are still seeking extras for the new film. In fact, if you are from the South Carolina area, you can be an extra in the film. Just click the link above for more details.
I wish I lived in or around South Carolina because being in this new Halloween would be a f*cking dream come true. If you’re in the area, get on it. You owe it to the rest of us! Haha?
How excited would you be to be an extra in this new Halloween? Let us know below!
Blumhouse’s Halloween is directed by David Gordon Green from a script he co-wrote with Danny McBride. The film stars Jamie Lee Curtis and Judy Greer and is executive produced and scored by John Carpenter.
Halloween (2018) hits theaters Oct. 19, 2018.
Jamie Lee Curtis returns to her iconic role as Laurie Strode, who comes to her final confrontation with Michael Myers, the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago.
Freddy’s Greatest Hits Vinyl Re-issue Is a Must-Own
That is One Gigantic Steampunk Squid…
Filming On Blumhouse’s Halloween Pushed to January
Horror Movies to Be Thankful for on Thanksgiving
Paul Feig On Why His Ghostbusters Reboot Failed
Mindhunter Review: The Best Netflix Original Series to Date
Director Says New Suspiria Film Isn’t a Remake
7 Freddy’s Nightmares Episodes That Should’ve Been Movies
What if the Best Synth Scores Are For Horror Films That Don’t Really Exist?
First Look at Samuel L. Jackson as Mr. Glass in M. Night Shyamalan’s Glass
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation – First Trailer and Artwork!
The Walking Dead Season 7 Limited Edition Box Set – Unboxing Video
Desolation Trailer Goes Off Trail
More Exclusive Stills from Devil’s Whisper
Talent to Attend Dread Central’s Bicoastal Screenings for The Night Watchmen Next Week in NY and LA
Join the Box of Dread Mailing List
From Around the Web
Reviews5 days ago
Mindhunter Review: The Best Netflix Original Series to Date
Reviews3 days ago
AHS: Cult Review – Clowns, Cults, Politics, and Peters
News4 days ago
Blumhouse’s New Halloween Will Change The Original Film’s Ending (Slightly)
News4 days ago
Exclusive: Buzzard Hollow Beef Brings Cannibal Gore to the Holidays
News3 days ago
The Axiom Review – A Stylish and Clever Slice of Independent Horror
Reviews4 days ago
DIS Review – Not for the Faint of Heart!
News5 days ago
Horror Box Office – OPENING THIS WEEK: November 17, 2017
News4 days ago
Kevin Bacon Lets Us Know the Tremors Reboot Pilot Has Wrapped Filming